Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How can I avoid being scammed buying a phone off craigslist?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    T-Mobile blocks phones for delinquent accounts, even if the phone itself is paid off??
    No Tmobile won't tell you if the phone is financed. They only look at the IMEI and if it is currently good, they report it as good. You can request the seller shows you their account and it will show if the phone is currently financed. Otherwise don't do it.

Carrier(s)
    HarborMobile
    Feedback Score
    Holy thread reseruction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ProzacBoy View Post
    No Tmobile won't tell you if the phone is financed.
    Actually, they added that information in June to their IMEI checker in response to complaints from phone reseller UpgradeSwap. See the Update at the bottom of this article:

http://bgr.com/2014/06/24/t-mobile-u...ales-rejected/

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here's the thing with buying off of craigslist: there's usually no 100% guarantees with one exception. I spoke with my sister who is a supervisor for the T-Mobile Salem Oregon call center. She basically said if the person is financing the phone/tablet and payments on the device are current they will report the Imei for that device as GOOD. However, if they default on that device a week, month, or year later than T-Mobile will block the imei of that device once the default occurs.

In other words, if the device you're buying is not paid off in full than there's a chance that the device you're buying could be blocked one day if and when they default on the device. The only sure way to be safe buying the device of Craigslist is to do the following: go with that person to a T-Mobile store and have a store clerk from that store check the phone, verify the imei for the phone matches the phone they are selling to you, than have them check the imei of that phone in the system and then have the store repersantive verify that the phone is paid in full.

If the T-Mobile store clerk verifies that the device you are buying is paid in full than it is safe to buy without fear of it being blocked one day. However, if the store clerk says that the imei is good and account is in good standing, but the device in question has a balance and is not paid off. Than I would not buy the device because you subject yourself to the possibility that the phone may be blocked one day if they were to default on paying off that device in the future.

I don't buy phones from Craigslist. However I do sell my old devices on Craigslist. If the potential buyer is concerned about what I am selling to them than I bring them to a T-Mobile store and have the clerk verify that the device is paid off and in the clear.
    Last edited by trees12; 12-26-2014 at 04:58 PM.
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ProzacBoy View Post
    No Tmobile won't tell you if the phone is financed. They only look at the IMEI and if it is currently good, they report it as good. You can request the seller shows you their account and it will show if the phone is currently financed. Otherwise don't do it.
    if the account holder for which the device is/was financed on go to the T-Mobile store with the buyer than the T-Mobile clerk can give the potential buyer info like whether the device is paid off. At the T-Mobile store, the T-Mobile clerk can verify that you are the account holder and then you can have them tell you in front of the potential buyer whether the device in question is paid off.

On the other hand, if the potential craigslist buyer goes by themself to a T-Mobile store and asks the store clerk to verify whether the imei for a device is paid off than you're correct the T-Mobile store clerk will not disclose that information to them since they are not the account holder for which the device was/is being financed on. However, a T- Mobile store clerk will tell the person whether or not the imei is currently blocked or not without the account holder present. If the buyer want/needs anymore info than that, than the potential buyer will need to be with the account holder to get that info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    Here's the thing with buying off of craigslist: there's usually no 100% guarantees with one exception. I spoke with my sister who is a supervisor for the T-Mobile Salem Oregon call center. She basically said if the person is financing the phone/tablet and payments on the device are current they will report the Imei for that device as GOOD.
    This is not the case. T-mobile's online IMEI checker does now include whether the device is on EIP and it even says so on T-Mobile's support site:

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/72842

There are also a couple of recent posts where people have paid off the device and yet T-Mobile would still show the device as being on EIP:

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comm...ard_to_resell/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-m...-tells-me.html

So this confirms that financed devices now being shown on the IMEI checker and not just the status "GOOD" as your sister claimed.

It's unfortunate that T-Mobile doesn't provide better training to call center supervisors by giving them up to date information.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3