Thread: PRIP PTT & Sprint PTT

Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score

PRIP PTT & Sprint PTT

I have posted PRIP in this thread > http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...o-Talk-service

Would like to know if any user out there using Sprint PTT if they can PTT my PTT # 33*1*1691

Feedback Score
    I tried Prip on our Kyocera Torques with Sprint Direct Connect side-by-side, running over Sprint's 3G network (no WiFi involved) here are the results:

1) They can fairly reliably Prip back & forth between each other's 33*1*#### numbers.
    2) In our area, Prip is noticeably laggy, fairly consistently 2 seconds to connect, 2 seconds after first word is spoken before it is heard on the other phone, and 2 seconds after release of PTT button before other phone gets the single chirp confirming they can now talk. This is not just initial call setup, it's that laggy every single time we use it.
    3) There are many times when Prip will not connect, even though both phones have decent Sprint 3G signal and the receiving phone is in standby mode.
    4) Although the familiar "Nextel chirp" is loud & clear, the voice audio is not very clear, and even with Prip's volume set high, and the chirp is ultra-loud, the voice audio is barely audible. Low volume and garbled audio makes Prip an almost unusable app.
    5) I could not get Prip to connect to our Sprint Direct Connect phones using their original Nextel-style DC numbers, each time I tried it (at least 6 times each way) it said "User not reachable". When Prip would not connect using our old-style Nextel DC numbers, I would try Sprint DC, and SDC would connect, which to me proves that Prip is not yet capable of PTT'ing to a SDC number.
    6) Our Sprint Direct Connect ("SDC"), when it connects, has loud & clear chirp AND loud & clear voice audio.
    7) Once it gets going (i.e. actually makes the initial connection), our SDC connects much faster, transmits the voice signal faster, and delivers the confirming "ok to talk now" chirp much faster.
    8) Most of the time, it takes multiple, lengthy tries to get our SDC to connect. But once SDC does connect, for us it is superior in all ways to Prip.

This is all very disappointing to us, because after using Nextel DC for eleven years, we have been very unhappy with the extremely poor reliability of SDC. When SDC connects, it works fine, but problem is, SDC connects around only 50% of the time for us. For that reason, we had hopes that Prip would save the day so we could use Prip for PTT and eventually leave Sprint for Verizon (in our area, Verizon's 3G network is ultra-reliable and has far better coverage than Sprint's CDMA, and Sprint has zero LTE where we live & work, with no plans we can find showing that we will ever get 4G here). But alas, Prip overall has been no more reliable for us than SDC, and the issue of poor Prip voice audio quality and low voice volume on Prip, makes it clear that at least at this time, Prip is not ready for prime time, and Sprint DC is still the best game in town (yet nothing compared to Nextel DC on iDEN).

I'd be curious if Prip performs well between two Verizon phones with Prip installed. Also, maybe when Prip runs on LTE it will perform better.

Anyhow, that's my preliminary report on Prip, disappointing as it may be, that's the way Prip has been for us so far.

UPDATE #1 08/01/2013:
    a) I contacted Prip support, and indeed although Prip can interoperate with NII's customers in the Latin American countries, so far there is no agreement with Sprint to allow interop between Prip and Sprint Direct Connect phones.
    b) Prip recognizes that because it is a "universal app" that does not care which carrier the phone is tied to, it probably will never be quite as fast as a service like NDC or SDC that is tightly integrated with the hardware. Prip's forte is the fact that it is a true cross-carrier, "signal-agnostic" app, which Is obviously very valuable in its own right and something that SDC, VZ PTT and ATT's EPTT can't match (i.e. cross-carrier functionality and ability to switch between 3G/4G/WiFi).
    c) They are aware of the volume issue on Prip and are working on the fix for that.
    d) I don't have 4G service, so I can't test if Prip is faster with a better signal than or anemic 3G here.
    e) I'll re-test Prip using our home WiFi and report those results back later.

UPDATE #2 08/01/2013:
    With home WiFi, Prip did quite well, IMO.
    Speedtest.net check of WiFi immediately prior to test showed WiFi performing at: Ping=22ms, Download=2.5Mbps, Upload=1.1Mbps,
    Prip's performance on WiFi was approximately 1 second connect, 1 second to transmit voice, 1 second to give the all-clear chirp.
    Last edited by SDC_01; 08-01-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Updated info posted below original post

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to wait until some improvements are made before downloading this app and using up my.free first month. I haven't tried Voxer though my personal favorite is Zello since there is also a PC app in addition to the mobile apps.

Feedback Score
    I tried Zello, it's a very nice app:
    1. Speedwise for us Zello is almost identical to Prip, both on WiFi and Sprint 3G (both have approx. 2 sec lag on 3G, 1 sec lag on WiFi).
    2. As posted above regarding Prip, when it's working correctly, SDC is noticeably faster, louder & more clear than either Prip or Zello.
    3. Zello does not seem to have the confirming "OK to respond" chirp that the original Nextel had (and SDC has, and Prip has), it appears to me that you have to be looking at the phone to know when the other Zello caller has released the PTT button and it's your turn to talk. If Zello indeed does not have the "your turn to talk" chirp when the other user releases the PTT button, IMO that's a major flaw. As a long-time Nextel user and a current SDC user, you expect to be able to conduct PTT conversations without ever having to look at the phone's display, and the chirp sequences are critical to having proper Nextel-like PTT conversations.
    4. Zello allows mapping the PTT button to the hardware PTT button if your phone has one, whereas as of today Prip does not allow you to map its PTT button to the hardware PTT button (Prip claims they will do it if enough users ask for that capability). Prip lets you map PTT to the volume button or camera button, but I much prefer using the real, hardware PTT button for PTT if it is available. Zello allows it, Prip as yet does not.
    5. I don't care for all of the "social network" channels that Zello defaults to, but one can deactivate them if they choose.
    6. Both Prip & Zello seem to be relatively significant battery users compared to SDC.

BTW, one important thing for all users to do is test which mic a given app is using. For example, Sprint Direct Connect on the Kyocera Torque uses the top mic, whereas both Prip & Zello use the bottom mic. If you're accustomed to using SDC and holding the phone so you're talking into the mic on top of the phone, be aware that you'll get lousy audio results with Prip & Zello unless you speak into the bottom of the phone. I wish SDC on the Torque used the bottom mic...I was so used to speaking into the bottom mic on my Nextel i580, it seems unnatural to me to have to speak into the top mic on the Torque.
    Last edited by SDC_01; 08-04-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added PTT button mapping comment; added battery use comment

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Last edited by 503ducati; 08-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Feedback Score
    Along a similar line, I stumbled across this blog on crackberry.com extolling the virtues of PTT and trying to drum up support for Blackberry to add PTT to BB10 OS:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...talk-baked-bbm

Interesting to me is the fact that this blog elicited 170 responses within 6 days after it was posted on 06/24/2013. The vast majority of the responses were pro-PTT, quite a few pro-Nextel (nostalgic) posts, and a small number of anti-PTT responses.

I know Blackberry seems to be fading again after a brief spike in interest with the introduction of their Z10 touchscreen model and BB10 OS, but it was surprising to me to see so much pro-PTT support and so many pro-Nextel posts.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    Along a similar line, I stumbled across this blog on crackberry.com extolling the virtues of PTT and trying to drum up support for Blackberry to add PTT to BB10 OS:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...talk-baked-bbm

Interesting to me is the fact that this blog elicited 170 responses within 6 days after it was posted on 06/24/2013. The vast majority of the responses were pro-PTT, quite a few pro-Nextel (nostalgic) posts, and a small number of anti-PTT responses.

I know Blackberry seems to be fading again after a brief spike in interest with the introduction of their Z10 touchscreen model and BB10 OS, but it was surprising to me to see so much pro-PTT support and so many pro-Nextel posts.
    It would make sense though being Blackberry is primarily enterprise along with PTT. Hey I had the Blackberry i8530 on iDEN, it was very useful in the logistics field at that time and would still be with proper data speed and enterprise POD app attached.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    New Voxer enterprise service: 'Voxer Business'.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...web/2013-10-15

http://voxer.com/

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    'Secret startup OnBeep aims to fill push-to-talk void'

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/03/secret-...-to-talk-void/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    'Secret startup OnBeep aims to fill push-to-talk void'

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/03/secret-...-to-talk-void/
    Sounds good on the surface, and they seem to have some people with the right experience working on it, but then again, so does Prip (i.e. Prip worked directly with Motorola's engineers to write the Prip app). Unfortunately, my early experience trying Prip showed that it was too slow to connect, and at times would not connect after multiple tries, to satisfy this Nextel user. Not sure if OnBeep will have a better implementation than Prip, but if they don't, I honestly can't see them getting very far.

Once we figured it out to permanently turn off Sprint Connections Optimizer and forced our Kyocera Torques to stay in 3G mode all the time, our Sprint Direct Connect PTT performance improved immensely (at a slight expense in battery life). Still not quite as reliable as Nextel iDEN was, but comparatively much better than than when we tried Prip and Zello a few months ago. If OnBeep isn't at least equal to Sprint DC in performance and demonstrably better than Prip or Zello, IMO there would be nothing compelling customers to switch to OnBeep's PTT solution.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've been testing both the new Sprint Direct Connect Now app and prip on the note 3. Prip definitely isn't as fast as sdc on the initial connection but pretty close after that. Both have very low volume I think prip is worse but sdc not much better. Sdc is not bad with 4g lte pretty close to Nextel. I think sdc was making calls not connect sometimes i would reboot and it would fix it. Sdc is better on battery prip would use a lot more.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    It's great that Prip is now available on the iPhone, because that means a lot of Verizon & AT&T customers can give it a try on LTE. I hope some of them do try it and give feedback WRT Prip's connection speed & reliability over LTE.

Also great that they dropped the monthly fee from $7.99 to $1.99...I could not imagine anyone, even a business, paying $8/mo/line for a PTT emulator that wasn't all that fast, nor was it exceptionally reliable (on Sprint CDMA 3G or on our home WiFi, that is).

As I mentioned in a previous post/report and jfelhofer mentioned today, the speakerphone volume output on Prip when we tried it a few months ago was way, way too low to be of any use out in the field. I'm surprised that they seem to have not fixed that issue with the iPhone rollout (not that iPhone is all that good WRT speakerphone volume compared to what all of the Nextel Moto's put out).