Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a VOIP app.

Feedback Score

Looking for a VOIP app.

Ok, here is what I'm looking for.
    A VOIP app that works on both 1,"IPod/Pad" and 2,"Android Phone/Tablet" that does not require any active phone service or a phone number associated to the phone.

Understanding this I know that the caller and person receiving the call would have to have this app on their phones so that it went app to app and thats fine.
    It seems there was a app that assigned a phone number and all calls were free so long as you were calling another person with the same app on there phone.

I have some spare phones I'd like to try using outside of GoogleVoice which is why it is important that the app works on a phone with no cell service, or is dependent on a active number, and assigns its own number. Or other identifier, like some apps use a email address instead of number.

I would like to be able to set this same system up on IPods, Ipads, Android Phones and Tablets.

I have found many VOIP apps that require Google Voice and GV requires a active phone number to work.
    There are other VOIP apps that do not require GV but still require a active phone service to associate the VOIP calls to, probably for the interconnection tax stuff.

I need a VOIP app that will allow phones and tablets that have only wifi service and no active cell number to make calls to same app users and it would be nice if there was a way to lock the VOIP app to only app to app calls. This is not a must have though.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    Google Voice does not require an active phone number on the phone. I have set up a phone myself that didn't have cell service on it and was only going to be used on WiFi. You do however need to put a phone forwarding number on the Google voice account just for set up and then you can delete it off once set up on the phones/tablets. You can use any phone number you have immediate access to so you can verify the number. Set up the app and when it asks for the phones number you can just choose the number you put on the account. It is easy to do. If you get stuck or have any questions let me know.

Sent from my phone

Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention you also need an app like GrooVeIP or Talkatone that uses Google voice to make and receive calls.

Sent from my phone

Feedback Score
    Ok, that is great to know, but I still need a VOIP app that does not require GV and works as described.
    I very much like GrooVeIP and my other GV/VOIP apps, but if I am setting a VOIP service up for someone else and they don't have a GV acct or we don't have a PC on hand I would like a VOIP alternative that can be used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    Yah I have GV, Talkatone, SparePhone, Phone for Google Voice.

Ok so your saying I need a GV acct, and a number to confirm it with, after that I can remove the phone from the GV acct and my VOIP phones will still work with GV?

If that's the case. ROCK ON.
    Yes that's what I did.

Sent from my phone

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Get callcentric accounts. You get assigned a virtual phone number starting with 1777. Calls to other 1777 Callcentric numbers are free. If you aren't on a for pay plan, calls to real phone numbers will simply fail.

You can use any SIP client. On Android, Csipsimple might be a good choice. On iOS, Bria or Groundwire. The nice thing about a generic SIP based solution is that if you later want a client from some other type of device, there will probably be one.

Bonus: If you want to conversations to be encrypted, use ZRTP (Groundwire and Csipsimple both support ZRTP)

Csipsimple is free. Groundwire an Bria aren't, but I have had mixed results with free SIP clients for ios.

If you prefer to not use callcentric, ekiga.net is another option. In my experience, callcentric is quite reliable.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    I have tried setting up SIP services in the past and have never been successful.
    There are some things that this old coot can do and. Some things that just escape me.
    I am trying text plus. It uses the phone number on your phone, or your email address, once your acct is set up it looks at the phone numbers in your address book to see if anyone else there has a text plus acct and if found marks it.

While this is not exactly what I was hoping for, it is close and worth trying.
    Also found Truphone, which will work as a app or a sim. But the app will not set up all the way and the sim cost 40.00 I think it was.

Feedback Score
    How about:

iCall: Free Calls + Text
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....icall.android
    Believe it's very cross platform.

or

yuilop: Free Calls & Free SMS
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=com.yuilop

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    How about:

iCall: Free Calls + Text
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....icall.android
    Believe it's very cross platform.

or

yuilop: Free Calls & Free SMS
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=com.yuilop
    Both of these sound possible, both appear to allow calling to regular land or cell numbers without extra charge. Even if your service is turned off.
    The second one said something about a number, the first one didn't.
    When these people describe their products they do such a terrible job describing important things.
    In order for these apps to work for me they need to be very simple to install and use and have their own phone numbers or have an alternative identifier system like text plus uses a username or email address to make calls if the phone has no number of its own, which these phones will not have a number.

Did a look in to iCall and they can assign a number as well.

Thanks for these two suggestions.

Feedback Score
    Tried them and think yuilop will work fine.
    Acct set up is simple and they give you a separate number for your app which is very nice.
    One thing I noted is it will call my cell phones real numbers just fine, it will not call through to my GoogleVoice number at all. Nor will it text to them.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    You could use Vonage Mobile which is cross-platform. You would use a cell number from another phone that could receive the authorizing text. Not the intended way of course but North American calls are free.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    Tried them and think yuilop will work fine.
    Acct set up is simple and they give you a separate number for your app which is very nice.
    One thing I noted is it will call my cell phones real numbers just fine, it will not call through to my GoogleVoice number at all. Nor will it text to them.
    If you try other apps please let us know your results.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    You could use Vonage Mobile which is cross-platform. You would use a cell number from another phone that could receive the authorizing text. Not the intended way of course but North American calls are free.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Looking for a free option. I know people who are very tight on cash and I'm looking for a way for them and myself to have a phone if their service is turned off.

Feedback Score
    Have to recheck something.
    Ok when I call from the yuilop app the phone your callings actual number shows up on the dial pad of the calling phone ( even though you dialed the yuilop number) and the receiving phone shows the yuilop number.
    And calls are now going through to GV numbers. Strange happenings.
    I have this installed on a CDMA phone that has no cell service active on it and it still works. Long and short of it is. It works if not a bit oddly.
    It is sadly still dependent on a active phone line. You must have a active phone for them to call or send a text to to confirm device.
    This could be done over wifi many ways to an inactive phone to set up the acct. But it does not work that way. Once the acct is active you could throw your verification phone in a black hole and it wouldn't matter, the app will work fine without it, but activating your acct without a working phone won't happen.
    Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 08-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGHI777
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've used "textPlus Free Text + Calls" from my SGS2 to talk to my granddaughter on her iPod Touch. Definitely cross-platform and no phone number needed. You might need an available number to set it up (been a couple of years since I set mine up, don't remember exactly), but I think any type would work, a landline even.
    (I'm a girl - well Old Lady is more like it-LOL)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast