Thread: Out of contract with AT&T...time to switch?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Out of contract with AT&T...time to switch?

Hello everyone!

Effective today I am officially out of contract with AT&T and am hoping to save some money by possibly switching to another provider in the Tucson, AZ area.

Currently I have 6 lines with AT&T on the 10Gb Share Everything Plan (4 Smartphones + 2 Tabs) and an AT&T Microcell (poor home service area). My AT&T bill is about $260 (after 20% corp discount). The big issue for me is the Microcell; however I've read that ST with an AT&T sim will use the AT&T Microcell or with T-Mobile I can use WiFi calling perhaps?

Peak usage patterns (per user)

Galaxy Note 2 1500 Mb (1.5Gb)
    iPad Mini 1500 Mb (1.5Gb) - same user as GN2

iPhone 4 400 Mb
    iPad Mini 650Mb - same user as above iPhone

iPhone 4 2000 Mb (2 Gb)

Galaxy S3 110 Mb

Hoping for some input and/or suggestions...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is T-Mobile any good in Tucson? You could slash your bill in half with them, before any discounts. Consider testing the service with a prepaid $30 plan (5GB of data/100 minutes/unlimited text) before you consider switching.

Four lines of unlimited everything with 500mb high speed data per line is $100 a month. On three of those lines you can add the 2GB option, bringing your total high speed data to 2.5GB per line. That includes tethering/hotspot, so your iPads could simply use the phone's data.

That comes out to $130 a month.
    http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

For WiFi calling, I believe you need T-Mobile devices. Perhaps T-Mobile has a closer tower to your home, since their network is often more dense in cities (they have to use more towers in cities since their towers aren't as strong due to higher frequency).

Lastly, your LTE Samsungs are compatible with T-Mobile LTE, too.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your input...figured I'd have to dump the AT&T phones and get T-Mo if I went that route. Fortunately I should be able to offset about half the cost of T-Mo handsets selling the AT&T ones I think on CL. Have heard mixed reviews about ST is I dunno about them. May have to try out the T-Mo service like you suggested. I really need the wifi calling though I'm sure so recycling my AT&T phones is probably not an option for me although they are all unlocked.
    Follow Me on Flipboard @stanholtsclaw <16,700+ Followers>