Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is It Worth Switching To Mobilicity?

Device(s)
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Is It Worth Switching To Mobilicity?

So I'm thinking of maybe dropping Telus as I realize that I don't need everything I have and I hate the fact that they're screwing over all Canadians. I'm in Vancouver and have reliable wifi connections for 90-95% of my time and so I wouldn't be relying on Mobilicities data connection very much. I will also be in an unlimitied access zone 98% of the time except for maybe 2-3 weeks a year.

With Telus I have the following and it's basically the best you can get with them under the old system. I have zero complaints about their network or quality of service. My Plan is:

+$35 - Unlimited Voice 35 (Unlimited local calling)
    +$30 - Promo 6GB Data Add-on
    +$15 - Corporate National Calling 15 (Unlimited North American long distance)
    +Free- Package 15 (Caller ID, Unlimited text & picture messaging, Voicemail 10)
    = $80.00

I have a few questions:

1) How is the voice quality of Mobilicity versus Telus or Wind for that matter? The towers near me are obviously both 2100mhz, but the Telus ones have 850 as well as LTE bands.

2) Does it matter to Mobilicity if you have a number from a different city and use it full time in another city?

3) With the obvious shortage of cash at Mobilicity I suppose the company could go bankrupt and then I would have to go to Wind or back to Telus. How smart is it to join Mobi now?

The main reason I'm looking at switching is I can get the BTS special so the $45 plan is now for $35 and if I pay for two years ahead of time I'll only be paying $25 / month which would save me over $55 a month and $685 / year.

Does anyone have any experiences they could share from using Mobilicity in Vancouver, particularily west of Granville / downtown?
    6 Year Client, Plan Negotiated October 2011:
    = $80

Feedback Score
    Don't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

Line 1: Wind50 for $45/M
    Line 2: Wish40 for $35/M
    Line 3: Wish40 for $35/M

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BfA View Post
    So I'm thinking of maybe dropping Telus as I realize that I don't need everything I have and I hate the fact that they're screwing over all Canadians. I'm in Vancouver and have reliable wifi connections for 90-95% of my time and so I wouldn't be relying on Mobilicities data connection very much. I will also be in an unlimitied access zone 98% of the time except for maybe 2-3 weeks a year.
    Your biggest problem of migrating either to Wind/Mob is your handset. Do you have a pentaband phone?
    I am sure between Mob or Wind you will have a network that gives you good coverage at home/work

Daniel

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

With Telus I have the following and it's basically the best you can get with them under the old system. I have zero complaints about their network or quality of service. My Plan is:

= $80.00

I have a few questions:

1) How is the voice quality of Mobilicity versus Telus or Wind for that matter? The towers near me are obviously both 2100mhz, but the Telus ones have 850 as well as LTE bands.

2) Does it matter to Mobilicity if you have a number from a different city and use it full time in another city?

3) With the obvious shortage of cash at Mobilicity I suppose the company could go bankrupt and then I would have to go to Wind or back to Telus. How smart is it to join Mobi now?

The main reason I'm looking at switching is I can get the BTS special so the $45 plan is now for $35 and if I pay for two years ahead of time I'll only be paying $25 / month which would save me over $55 a month and $685 / year.

Does anyone have any experiences they could share from using Mobilicity in Vancouver, particularily west of Granville / downtown?
    My last experience with mobi was in November last year, and wind in March of this year, but given the relative lack of change on their parts, it should be around the same.

I'm from Calgary, so for example data speeds will probably be different, but voice wise it was the same for me when I visited while with mobi.

Generally I found the voice to be acceptable with both mobilicity and wind, though I found mobilicity to be clearer than wind and close to telus when reception was good.

As far as I know, as long as you are using the phone within the mobilicity network, it doesn't matter what phone number you port in.

Regarding mobilicity going bankrupt, I don't think you will have much to lose if you are paying month to month as if they do go bankrupt, they will most likely continue running the network for a little while longer to let consumers port their numbers out.

I definitely wouldn't pay 2 years worth for mobilicity outright; if they do go bankrupt you most likely will never see the remainder of that money.

Didn't notice you ask, but I figure I would mention it anyway; don't expect good reception with mobilicity, while they might have been better than wind initially, they now have half the tower density of wind and therefore poorer reception.

Even wind doesn't come that close to matching the reception of telus, but in my general experience wind reception felt good enough, while with mobilicity there was numerous holes in their system where I could not get service no matter how hard I tried.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 4

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I would strongly advise you to test the service first for at least a week before making the switch. Your plan seems pretty good on telus.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Line 1-2
    Wind Unlimited Wish Plan 40
    unlimited NA calling
    unlimited global texting /unlimited NA MMS / caller iD / voicemail
    unlimited data
    world saver

Carrier(s)
    ChatR (formerly Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    I have a few questions:
    Frequency (2100 vs 850) really doesn't affect voice quality, but it does affect signal reception. Generally, most people won't know you are calling from a Mobilicity line based on voice quality.

No, as long as you stay within a Mobilicity zone.

I would not commit to any of their 2-year plans. However, on month-to-month, you should be fine. If they go bankrupt, just move back to another company.

[/QUOTE]

Mobilicity works fine for me in the Vancouver area, with the exception of some underground areas (Pacific Mall food court, Canada Line). I have no hesitation going anywhere in Vancouver-Richmond*-Burnaby-New West, but with their unclear financial outlook, I have not been recommending to friends lately. (* except the SilverCity area)

Device(s)
    Google Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Join Mobilicity and use the first seven days to test the service. If it works fine everywhere you go then keep it.

I'm on the $25 BTS plan from two years ago. It's pretty sweet

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
    Don't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989
    +1

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Feedback Score
    You can't beat mobilicity in terms of price vs value, I've been with them for a year and having unlimited everything is a sweet deal. And I keep 5 dollars in my mobi wallet for areas outside coverage, roaming rates are pretty cheap.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Feedback Score
    Good thing about the 35 plan on now is it includes roaming so you don't have to put money in the wallet

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zobi123 View Post
    Good thing about the 35 plan on now is it includes roaming so you don't have to put money in the wallet
    +1
    The free roaming minutes & US calling makes Mobi a far better value than Wind
    (I know someone who is older and rarely uses phone; even though lives outside coverage the roaming minutes cover monthly use)

As a few posters said, grab a SIM, activate a dummy number and test it
    If it works in your area great do the port in
    If not let SIM expire and stay where you are
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

dtong22 & cognac_sipper & imtiax - I don't have a phone currently but was going to buy a cheap android one and download a network signal app and use it to track for a week of testing.

Sanjiro - Thanks for the in-depth reply, appreciated. I understand what you mean about Wind having fewer holes but neither matching up with Telus.

Shadowlord - Thanks for the info about Vancouver.

zobi123 & kav2001c - How do you mean Mobilicity has free roaming? Do you mean just the US roaming or including the roaming outside of the zones?

Overall it sounds like it will work and I'll have to test it, not sure if it's worth it though without paying the two years up front as I can get a similar plan to my Telus one with less features from Rogers for only $55.

Feedback Score
    - I don't have a phone currently but was going to buy a cheap android one and download a network signal app and use it to track for a week of testing..
    That route is tricky. To improve your consumer bargaining power you need to have the ability to hoop from one carrier to the next without hindrance. It is better off for you to buy a decent pendaband phone that is unlockable. Only with that could you shop and grab whatever deal you come across.
    The best phone now is Nexus 4 or the iphone 5 (pentaband but more expensive).
    Buying another cheap android phone does not improve position.
    If you have a Nexus now you can go in the shops of Mob (or Wind) and try it out for a day before you port in. If Bell gives you a better rate than Telus/Roger, you would have had no problem in jumping ship. With that freedom you can maximise your consumer right of choice.

Daniel

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

dtong22 & cognac_sipper & imtiax - I don't have a phone currently but was going to buy a cheap android one and download a network signal app and use it to track for a week of testing.

Sanjiro - Thanks for the in-depth reply, appreciated. I understand what you mean about Wind having fewer holes but neither matching up with Telus.

Shadowlord - Thanks for the info about Vancouver.

zobi123 & kav2001c - How do you mean Mobilicity has free roaming? Do you mean just the US roaming or including the roaming outside of the zones?

Overall it sounds like it will work and I'll have to test it, not sure if it's worth it though without paying the two years up front as I can get a similar plan to my Telus one with less features from Rogers for only $55.
    With the mobi 35 promo you get unlimited calling any where in canada while dialing from a mobi zone. And you get 30 mins of dialing anywhere outside that zone in NA (rogers).

Carrier(s)
    Wind is blowing me away!
    Feedback Score
    if you're gonna pick from the bottom of the barrel, at least take something that isn't touching the bottom. Go with Wind instead.
    "Studies show that 60% of the time, it works every time."
    Wind $30/Month UNLIMITED plan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast