Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Tmobile EDGE upgrade?

Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fmulder22 View Post
    I can't wait for a 600mhz vs 1900mhz signal penetration thread to start...
    Its going to be a LONG ways away. It took what, 2-3 years after the AWS auction before we started seeing live service? I don't expect this to be any different

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssavoy View Post
    Simple Choice is already a rate hike, FYI. As far as I'm concerned they already raised their rates for the most part.

Now let's please stop beating this dead horse and not allow another EDGE thread to be started until 2014.
    Are you inferring a rate hike compared to the legacy plans that date back to Voice stream, or some early T-Mobile offering, or the plans that were in place before value plans?

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska View Post
    Its going to be a LONG ways away. It took what, 2-3 years after the AWS auction before we started seeing live service? I don't expect this to be any different
    Good point, also I think someone was saying they had to get LTE approved for that band and also get manufactures on board. Though it shouldn't be an issue with T-Mobile now selling the iPhone and their early dedication to the Android OS.

Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    Good point, also I think someone was saying they had to get LTE approved for that band and also get manufactures on board. Though it shouldn't be an issue with T-Mobile now selling the iPhone and their early dedication to the Android OS.
    Manufactures are not really going to be much of an issue this time. Their dedication to rural areas and how long until they can use the spectrum will. (And considering up until now, they have had ZERO rural push, including with the current ceo and his dust bowl comments, I'm not very optimistic)

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    It's hard to purposefully "screw something up" when they aren't even making changes to that infrastructure. Though on the contrary they could have a Verizon effect by them refusing to maintain equipment, because EDGE(**cough** EVDO) isn't the main focus.
    I'm not saying they're screwing anything up - they're just basically saying "screw off" as to all of the sites using older cellular data technologies by not upgrading any of those sites.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Mr. Brown
    T-Mobile on 64GB Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown2195 View Post
    I'm not saying they're screwing anything up - they're just basically saying "screw off" as to all of the sites using older cellular data technologies by not upgrading any of those sites.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Its not on their agenda as of now, but I truly do think what happened with DT a week ago is a positive sign of thing to come. Its amazing how at nearly last minute they decided to give them some extra cash to help with general cost. Maybe when they have a meeting regarding the road map for next year DT will say they will fund them to upgrade their entire GSM network and then some. I think if they manage to expand into areas like West Virginia, South Dakota,North Dakota and several other states where nearly the entire state is roaming they will start increasing their market share because in those areas their is only 3/4 options compared to here in Houston we have all of the major carriers and Cricket(5).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska View Post
    Manufactures are not really going to be much of an issue this time. Their dedication to rural areas and how long until they can use the spectrum will. (And considering up until now, they have had ZERO rural push, including with the current ceo and his dust bowl comments, I'm not very optimistic)
    I wouldn't say zero, they have done some expansion in Northern Texas, New Mexico, Florida, Louisiana and several other states. Though I completely agree the need for rural high speed data, hopefully if they can keep finishing markets in record time like they have been doing up until now maybe later this year they can start getting the ball moving with expanding high speed data to more areas.

Feedback Score
    On T-Mobile's last conference call, they had a slide noting their intention to cover 225M with LTE in 2014 - a small increase from the 200M they're expecting before the end of the year that would bring them to about the same coverage as their HSPA+ network. I think T-Mobile's strategy is to compete where they can be the most effective. In urban areas, their AWS/PCS spectrum isn't much of a disadvantage. In more suburban/rural areas, it's a bigger problem.

If T-Mobile gains spectrum in the 600MHz auction, they will likely push out more. However, I think it's most likely that they would push out to their current EDGE coverage area, not too much beyond that. The reason is that they already have the cell sites there and the coverage reliability that the 600MHz spectrum would offer would allow them to compete effectively in those more suburban, but not totally rural, areas. In the long-term (5-10 years down the line), it might make sense for T-Mobile to expand further geographically if they have the low-frequency spectrum.

However, in the near term, T-Mobile is going to play to its strengths because its strengths are where it can gain customers. A 20x20 LTE network in urban areas could, coupled with T-Mobile's small customer base, offer great speed and capacity. With lower price points, it will likely draw customers. By contrast, playing to T-Mobile's weaknesses and trying to build those up would leave them neglecting urban data users as well as having a better, but still inferior, suburban/rural product. With a focus on urban data, T-Mobile can really compete for those users.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I understand they need to use low band spectrum to use the least amount of towers possible, it could be a possible set back in the future though. Once people in rural areas discover their passion to watch Netflix, Youtube on their unlimited data plan it could potentially wreak havoc on their QOS. If they were to either team up with the right company or the Government and have a national broadband scheme like Ireland it would do wonders for their current customers and also the people in rural areas. Especially if they launched the rural areas with LTE only on AWS with MIMO capabilities, they could provide some amazing speeds that no wireline could compete with at that cost level.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    And another thread about EDGE ....sure wish we had a sticky....

If T-Mobile just had a better roaming policy on at&t for the boonies , everything would be better. At this point even if T-Mobile replaced EDGE, It would not bring new customers. But it will keep the existing customers happy

Sent from my Nexus 4

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.822 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract08 View Post
    . If they expanded outside of that, you better believe their prices will go up.
    Exactly, look at the pricing for AT&T and Verizon Wireless.
    They can justify jacking up the prices because both of them have networks which "cover more" rural areas. Then look at the pricing for Sprint, it's priced below AT&T and Verizon Wireless and more or less the same as T-Mobile's. But I have a feeling Sprint will raise prices as well, as they improve their network and with the introduction of the recently offered a "Sprint Unlimited Guarantee" deal for $80.

For the latter, if you're going to offer this "Unlimited Guarantee" then somewhere down the road they will either raise the price for unlimited data or take it away for new customers who sign up in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd
    If they were to either team up with the right company or the Government and have a national broadband scheme like Ireland it would do wonders for their current customers and also the people in rural areas.
    I'm not sure why T-Mobile couldn't use a MORAN or MOCN arrangements with interested parties to deploy HSPA and LTE in rural areas. If Tmobile did this then the cost for rolling out new and improved wireless technologies will be split amongst the interested parties. At least, T-Mobile won't be footing 100% of the bill for rural deployments for HSPA and LTE.

If AT&T Wireless and Cingular Wireless worked together to expand coverage with 2G PCS on rural interstates and Verizon Wireless does this LTE. Then why not T-Mobile? Both HSPA and LTE with the latest revisions are capable of supporting MORAN or MOCN to share networks.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 08-14-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Feedback Score
    I think someone should email the CEO about those areas and the potential to get alot of customers. Then again what can he do. Seems like he plays deaf to coverage.

Why is tmobile so content with their 2G coverage yet even AT&T has more areas covered in "4G". It's like network consistency and reliability is never a priority. Im afraid the same gonna happen again in NYC if another hurricane hits. Network down.

I only can pray and hope tmobile will impress me some what with their coverage in the future. For now goodbye Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    I think someone should email the CEO about those areas and the potential to get alot of customers. Then again what can he do. Seems like he plays deaf to coverage.

Why is tmobile so content with their 2G coverage yet even AT&T has more areas covered in "4G". It's like network consistency and reliability is never a priority. Im afraid the same gonna happen again in NYC if another hurricane hits. Network down.

I only can pray and hope tmobile will impress me some what with their coverage in the future. For now goodbye Verizon.
    That would be nice. What's relatively shocking is that Metro had LTE in several places that T-Mobile doesn't even have 3G. For example, most of the entire drive between LA and Vegas (from roughly Barstow to just outside of Vegas) is 2G on T-Mobile, but was covered in Metro LTE. I am not quite sure why T-Mobile has not been able to upgrade their service along that route yet...

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Most AWS licenses held by T-Mobile will expire close to 2020 so they will have plenty of time to launch HSPA+ or LTE in existing EDGE areas. For better or worse T-Mobile isn't in any hurry to use their AWS licenses or upgrade to PCS HSPA+ in certain markets.

In the mean time if you really need rural coverage then AT&T or Verizon Wireless will be the best choice. That's why I'm still with AT&T, for the rural coverage.
    What is the range of AWS spectrum? Is it actually useful in rural areas? Would there have to be a million dollar site every mile in a 20-mile distance between two small towns to provide uninterrupted service? Or 5 sites in a small town in order to get indoor penetration sufficient for good service? All carriers have AWS spectrum in rural areas, all over the country, but the fact that none has deployed it speaks volumes. Therefore, it looks pretty useless for those areas.

Attachment 96275

I'm not saying that T-Mo should use this spectrum in rural areas, I think it is pretty much useless for it. And they have clearly stated they are an urban carrier, so to suggest they will use AWS in rural areas is a big stretch. If they make a big 600 buy, it would signal a complete turnaround from that urban carrier scenario. Hopefully they haven't turned too many people in those rural areas sour on them with the dust bowl comments.
    Last edited by ggore; 08-14-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssavoy View Post
    Simple Choice is already a rate hike, FYI. As far as I'm concerned they already raised their rates for the most part.

Now let's please stop beating this dead horse and not allow another EDGE thread to be started until 2014.
    This dead horse won't die because apparently T-Mobile customers do actually exist who are not happy with GPRS/EDGE service, even in the suburbs. If T-Mobile defines "dust bowls" to mean suburbs as well as rural areas, then fine, just be clear about it so that people in those suburbs won't expect anything better and can make educated buying decisions based on that knowledge without having to get on HoFo and have someone tell them they don't deserve better. The number of complaints in here from users in the burbs indicates a problem.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast