Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Tmobile EDGE upgrade?

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    This dead horse won't die because apparently T-Mobile customers do actually exist who are not happy with GPRS/EDGE service, even in the suburbs. If T-Mobile defines "dust bowls" to mean suburbs as well as rural areas, then fine, just be clear about it so that people in those suburbs won't expect anything better and can make educated buying decisions based on that knowledge without having to get on HoFo and have someone tell them they don't deserve better. The number of complaints in here from users in the burbs indicates a problem.
    13 hours 34 minutes, surprised it took you this long to come take a few whacks at that horse.

T-Mobile is an urban carrier, never claimed to be anything but. Here again you imply that T-Mobile should advertise outright that they are crap in suburban/rural areas. For the most part, folks already realize this via coverage maps, word of mouth, etc. There's a few that don't do the research, and we see them from time to time posting here. Those are the minority, most of the populace knows who works and who doesn't in their area. The number of posts you see here indicates nothing more than the vocal part of that minority. You've made your point pretty clear in past threads(and threads and threads and threads and threads), mind letting it go?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ac21365 View Post
    T-Mobile is an urban carrier, never claimed to be anything but.
    Can you point me to the T-Mobile statement on this? I don't think I heard it from T-Mobile yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-mobile has in the past tried to propose network sharing schemes with other operators but no-one wanted to bite (they tried with Sprint in the past, and it is believed that they also tried with AT&T sometime around the merger). They have no incentive to try to do a sharing agreement with a small carrier - it only serves to strengthen the small carrier more than it would strengthen T-mobile.

It also looks like T-mobile has something up their sleeve with CapEx. The $$ for next year are roughly consistent with this year's spend, yet they're currently only advertising an increase in 25MM POPs in the year (which they'll likely hit this year anyway given that they're ahead of schedule). There's probably more to come on this front. I've already seen a number of new cell site applications going in from T-mobile, so they're at least continuing to infill their existing areas with new sites.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.822 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    T-mobile has in the past tried to propose network sharing schemes with other operators but no-one wanted to bite (they tried with Sprint in the past, and it is believed that they also tried with AT&T sometime around the merger). They have no incentive to try to do a sharing agreement with a small carrier - it only serves to strengthen the small carrier more than it would strengthen T-mobile.
    That's the past, under old leadership The former leadership tried to sell out and many of those who supported the deal with AT&T are now gone. The smaller carrier would not benefit more than T-Mobile with MORAN because they still have to use their own assigned frequencies and core network, in other words the smaller carrier still has to be responsible for providing the backend infrastructure, retail and billing support. The biggest winner is T-Mobile who expanded their coverage at a fraction of the cost and reduced roaming costs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Now they could do miracles if the Verizon merger was to happen.
    Miracles? Like what? Eliminating simple choice rates, truly unlimited data plans and charging very high rates per GB for data? Those are some miracles I can do without.

If you want Verizon coverage, then port your number over to them and pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by ram130
    Why is tmobile so content with their 2G coverage
    Because they are investing their resources to upgrade more populated areas with high speed LTE because that gets them more customers and more revenue. Check out last quarter's reports---1.1 million new customers. Upgrading 2G wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me
    For example, most of the entire drive between LA and Vegas (from roughly Barstow to just outside of Vegas) is 2G on T-Mobile, but was covered in Metro LTE. I am not quite sure why T-Mobile has not been able to upgrade their service along that route yet...
    Same answer. They're using their resources to upgrade more populated areas first. Barstow to Vegas goes through a very unpopulated area in the middle of the desert. People can't drive through it fast enough.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (i0wnj00: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.822 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Quote Originally Posted by ggore
    What is the range of AWS spectrum? Is it actually useful in rural areas? Would there have to be a million dollar site every mile in a 20-mile distance between two small towns to provide uninterrupted service? Or 5 sites in a small town in order to get indoor penetration sufficient for good service? All carriers have AWS spectrum in rural areas, all over the country, but the fact that none has deployed it speaks volumes. Therefore, it looks pretty useless for those areas .
    According to the GSMA website, two small companies are already running AWS only networks and a third has one planned. The coverage areas will be small only because they serve niche and will have a limited service area. You don't need to cover all 20 miles of road between two towns when you can use roaming coverage to fill those spots in, you just need in town coverage. Even with 5 sites in town you can still get poor coverage considering that town boundaries can be drawn in a number of different ways, and I would guess that 5 sites will not be enough for my small town to give everybody sufficient coverage.

Secondly, carriers like AT&T and Verizon Wireless plan on using AWS to beef up existing LTE networks, not to expand coverage. The only carriers using AWS for providing a product are the mom and pop operations.

Whether AWS is useful or not in rural areas is irrelevant, you make with what you do.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 08-14-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe the problem is they started selling their services in half-***** markets which has led to these comments. I don't see MetroPCS customers complaining about poor rural coverage because, well, half their name says Metro. I can drive literally 5 minutes away from a T-Mobile store with LTE and be in a suburban no coverage/edge zone.

Dustbowls and suburbs are two different things. I wish we could clarify the difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    This dead horse won't die because apparently T-Mobile customers do actually exist who are not happy with GPRS/EDGE service,
    Well if they're not happy, then they should switch to another carrier! Stop complaining and start switching.

even in the suburbs. If T-Mobile defines "dust bowls" to mean suburbs as well as rural areas, then fine, just be clear about it so that people in those suburbs won't expect anything better and can make educated buying decisions based on that knowledge without having to get on HoFo and have someone tell them they don't deserve better. The number of complaints in here from users in the burbs indicates a problem.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they haven't turned too many people in those rural areas sour on them with the dust bowl comments.
    Who really cares if they have? Under the leadership of Legere, T-Mobile gained 1.1 million customers in the last quarter. His policies of pumping out LTE to populated areas and eliminating contracts is obviously working. Anyone offended by "dust bowl" comments is obviously far outweighed by the people switching over from expensive carriers to get T-Mobile's inexpensive Simple Choice plans. As the LTE rollout continues, T-Mobile will continue to gain more and more customers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    That would be nice. What's relatively shocking is that Metro had LTE in several places that T-Mobile doesn't even have 3G. For example, most of the entire drive between LA and Vegas (from roughly Barstow to just outside of Vegas) is 2G on T-Mobile, but was covered in Metro LTE. I am not quite sure why T-Mobile has not been able to upgrade their service along that route yet...
    MetroPCS is smaller than T-Mobile. That's why they launched LTE so fast. Also, in many places, their network was built from the ground up, since they didn't have PCS licenses, and had to start fresh on AWS.

Also, remember that they have VoLTE, while no other carrier has it yet. T-mobile will probably leave it up, and integrate it into their network.

I can see T-Mobile boasting about have a 2x10MHz LTE network at CES 2014. Too bad Verizon has nationwide 2x20.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vinmac31 View Post
    Will Tmobile be upgrading their edge to 4g in areas outside of cities? Its 2013 and I feel like with all the new websites and apps Edge data is pretty useless.
    Hell we still have a ton of places that say there is Edge and or 4G and it is all G LOL I would be happy with those places being Edge!
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm in a rural city where TMO has the only cell tower in town. At&t has a tower some ways out of town, Sprint and Verizon are scant to no coverage here. there is another rural community near here in the same situation: TMO with the only cell tower in the community. I didn't know about TMO "ignoring data coverage in the burbs and rural areas until I joined this forum, and I've been with TMO since 2008. TMO built this area out with new towers inside of the communities, while At&t, Sprint, VZW, continue to hang their equipment on former GTE wireless and US Cellular towers built in the early 90's that are along highways in the middle of nowhere. I'm tired of hearing: " go to VZW or At&t if you want rural coverage" this is not true everywhere. The VZW maps show no service for our city, while Sprint maps say roaming, which is funny as Sprint roams on VZW. At&t maps say good to moderate coverage. But in reality the At&t 4G only penetrates a little ways into town. I see a lot of At&t users getting voice coverage only, or no service.
    I wish TMO would come out and state what their rural plans are. TMO recently upgraded our tower with a second T1 line, and another nearby congested tower. While the speeds got better, 5-10 kB/s. I hope that is not their long term solution.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    I'm tired of hearing: " go to VZW or At&t if you want rural coverage" this is not true everywhere. The VZW maps show no service for our city, while Sprint maps say roaming, which is funny as Sprint roams on VZW. At&t maps say good to moderate coverage. But in reality the At&t 4G only penetrates a little ways into town.
    Unfortunately, this is a fact of life for the rest of us who don't have any other choices other than AT&T or Verizon Wireless and need extensive rural coverage regardless of what other better options exist locally. The first post, among others who travel between urban, suburban and rural areas only have two choices for the best coverage when traveling through all three environments. In the end, it's just a matter of who you think is the lesser of the two evils.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I'm in a rural city where TMO has the only cell tower in town. At&t has a tower some ways out of town, Sprint and Verizon are scant to no coverage here. there is another rural community near here in the same situation: TMO with the only cell tower in the community. I didn't know about TMO "ignoring data coverage in the burbs and rural areas until I joined this forum, and I've been with TMO since 2008. TMO built this area out with new towers inside of the communities, while At&t, Sprint, VZW, continue to hang their equipment on former GTE wireless and US Cellular towers built in the early 90's that are along highways in the middle of nowhere. I'm tired of hearing: " go to VZW or At&t if you want rural coverage" this is not true everywhere. The VZW maps show no service for our city, while Sprint maps say roaming, which is funny as Sprint roams on VZW. At&t maps say good to moderate coverage. But in reality the At&t 4G only penetrates a little ways into town. I see a lot of At&t users getting voice coverage only, or no service.
    I wish TMO would come out and state what their rural plans are. TMO recently upgraded our tower with a second T1 line, and another nearby congested tower. While the speeds got better, 5-10 kB/s. I hope that is not their long term solution.

Sent with the HoFo App
    After they messaged you back that's all they stated they were going to do to "fix" the problem? If that is indeed the case you need to have your community mass message him to get a real long term fix.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have not heard back from executive response yet with an answer on what their long term plans are for our area.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I have not heard back from executive response yet with an answer on what their long term plans are for our area.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I get that it takes a while to figure out something but, they are In a unique situation where if they do the right thing they could have nearly the whole market share of the town and surrounding houses outside I the town. Besides the data speeding up slightly has any thing else improved?

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast