Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: RingPlus Brings Free Ad Supported Service

Feedback Score

RingPlus Brings Free Ad Supported Service

according to this press release...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb11050966.htm

Yet, there is no mention of anything free on their website. Is this a legit press release???

RingPlus' free plan is supposed to give 300 minutes and 50 sms according to the article. Overage is 2 cents for talk, text, and data. Maximum usage charge for the month is $49 as that is what RingPlus charges for unlimited.

To take advantage of this offer (byosd), use their Sprint ESN checker and proceed from there.

https://my.ringplus.net/users/sign_in

Could this be where you can sign up for the free plan??? No clue as I do not have a spare Sprint phone here.

Feedback Score
    My old sprint htc evo 4g is apparently under contract. Uh no. I even checked the esn and its fine

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
    according to this press release...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb11050966.htm

Yet, there is no mention of anything free on their website. Is this a legit press release???
    Looks like it's a self-service website: http://www.prweb.com/

RingPlus' free plan is supposed to give 300 minutes and 50 sms according to the article. Overage is 2 cents for talk, text, and data. Maximum usage charge for the month is $49 as that is what RingPlus charges for unlimited.
    2 cents for data is very tempting. Too bad it requires a credit card on file, which is the main reason I haven't tried freedompop yet. I've read too many freedompop horror stories about people getting charged too much and not able to reach CSR to dispute/cancel.

Hmm... S4 is OK but no iphone. Interesting.

I don't see any mention of the free plan or the 2/2/2 overage on their website. I see a $19 plan with 4/4/4.

The youtube video on the translation service is cool.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/7.0.5/30.3745; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

I'm waiting for freedom pop

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    I have a Sprint phone just sitting here and it is good to go according to their esn checker and i would try it, but I tried to call their contact number and I get a recording that it is "non-working"??? Not sure I want to even try a company that has no contact number.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if I can use an old Sprint BlackBerry.

Like the other poster mentioned, I would be leery about giving them my credit card information to keep on hand.
    I suppose they require it so they can charge you for any overage you might use.
    But it still makes me leery.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the credit card is needed for overages. Press release says either credit or debit card on file is required. For those hesitant about giving the a credit card, maybe it is possible to use a card from a rebate or a debit card that has only has a token amount in the account. Naturally, the user would not be able to incur additional charges in the future.

Here is RingPlus' Facebook page that mentions free service.

https://www.facebook.com/RingPlusMobile

Page makes me believe that this deal is real. Perhaps the reason for not mentioning this free plan on their website is that there appears to be only a limited number of slots available for the free service. I am curious how many free users RingPlus is going to allow, and how long it will take to reach the maximum.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4, ZTE Z232, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Fascinating. It's a blast from the past.

Used to have Broadpoint Freeway ad-supported long distance calling card service years ago. Also had free ad-suported dial-up ISP before my current paid wireless broadband service (free than paid Juno, Bluelight, Altavista, Netzero, etc.).

Managed to get past the ESN verification screen with a VM mifi2200 device and set up an account name password. At that point you can see a sign up screen with the BYOSD plan as one option and additional information for phone esn (and ICCID if an LTE device), name and address, and credit card details. Credit card processed by http://creditcardprocessing.org/revi...braintree.html with details not stored on the RingPlus website.

Didn't proceed further at the current time. TOS for BYOSD not found on website; only in PR release. I am also leary about providing a credit card number in case free suddenly become fee, and also would have to hunt up an old Sprint phone (probably have an antique VM phone hanging around somewhere that could be reset) since it looks like the voice/text is ad supported, but data may not be. Would feel more comfortable if I used a prepaid card rather than a debit or credit card; assuming they would accept and I found a prepaid one without a monthly fee. Also Sprint coverage is available where I travel to but not at home like AT&T, Verizon are due to close by towers.

Looks like they beat FreedomPOP to market with a freebie offering, but I think I'll probably wait to compare the two offerings and might use one to reduce monthly cellphone costs (but still keep other carrier prepaid voice/text for use near home).

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sent an e-mail to ask about their contact number and my ESN question and I would say C/S is pretty good when the CEO replies with in an hour on a Saturday. LOL and thank you Karl.
    "Hi
    Sent By: "Karl Seelig" <[email protected]

Thanks for the interest and our apology for 855 mixcess not working, Till 855 mixcess is reestablished you can reach us under 310 229 5761 Monday- Friday 8:30-5 Pacific Time. If you decide not to use us any more we will release your ESN and you can change to Sprint, or any other MVNO on their network. To release your esn you simply have to write us an email.

Karl

Feedback Score
    I have a spare (?) LG Optimus for Sprint. When I enter MEID HEX, the website says it is under contract.. However, when I enter MEDI DEC, it went on just fine.. So MEID DEC needs to be used, instead HEX.

I do like Ringplus better than Freedompop since Ringplus does not depend on Android app, or WiMax.. a simple 3G phone would work. It would actually work as good usable voice service...

I also did not sign up yet. I did find BYOSD plan, but no details anywhere....

It is quite interesting, though..

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I wish they had clear instructions on setting it up! The info in the press release says you have to do a Factory reset and I don't really want to do that. Should only have to do a carrier wipe - profile update and PRL update? What about mms and 4G LTE settings? What about a phone number and porting over a number?
    Being bored, I tried it anyway and all I got was a error message and to try again? Guess I'll call Monday and see if they can shed some light on these questions.

Feedback Score
    I have stupidly tried to sign-up .. assuming fraud protection with my credit card will help me when needed..

However, after clearing the ESN check, there is still something that is blocking the activation. Send an email to CS to see what is going on...

Will report if successful..

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I don't think you were stupid to try and I don't think there will be any sort of fraud involved. It seems that if the activation in unsuccessful none of your info is saved, at least nothing shows up on my account after trying?

Feedback Score
    Well, I do not really think any fraud will be there.

The error message says

The activation of XXXXXXX failed:
    undefined local variable or method `charge' for #<AccountRegistrationRequest:>
    Edit and try the request again

Maybe only it is available in certain areas, or website is not fully setup?

Anyways, I want to see what CS says about this...

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well I am wrong, it does save your CC info. But hey, unauthorized charges are just that unauthorized so it should not be a problem.

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast