Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bought so Late in the Game

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score

Bought so Late in the Game

I know this phone has been out for almost two years now. I remember when it launched and how much I was thinking of getting one. Well the price for this phone has come down so far that you can get a 64gb one really reasonably. So I decided to get one, just to play with it.

Having had it a week I really regret not having gotten an N9 earlier. I just LOVE this phone. I have been using WIn Phone 7/8 and every android imaginable for the same two years and despite that just love this phone. What a serious pity that Nokia abandoned this OS because Meego is so user friendly. Sigh.

That having been said, for those having been using this for some time, are there any must have apps that I should get? I know there are limits on what are in the ovi store but even so, is there somthing that I should get my hands on?

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    FYI, Sailfish is the next iteration from the team that [helped] developed Maemo/Meego.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xivera1003 View Post
    FYI, Sailfish is the next iteration from the team that [helped] developed Maemo/Meego.
    Yeah, I have been following Jolla since they split off the meego team. I almost put money in on a new one but they don't have t-mo usa's frequencies on the Jolla phone. I think if I was to go something totally new it would be the ubuntu phone. In any case, I just cannot stress how much I really love the meego UI and since I got it, when I switch back to my android I keep using the Meego gestures and then pausing wondering why they don't work I am working my way through the ovi store seeing what apps are there that I like. Even bought a few.

Feedback Score
    Is n9 the same phone as lumia 800? If so, I can see why you fall in love with it...

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Is n9 the same phone as lumia 800? If so, I can see why you fall in love with it...
    looks somewhat similar, N9 is the last great Symbian phone, Lumia 800 is a mid-level WinPhone 7.5

If you like the Lumia 800, then try the Nokia Lumia 920/925/928 or the Lumia 1020. I'm waiting for the phablet (Lumia 1520 ?) & the Amber/GDR2 update for my Lumia 920.
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Feedback Score
    I lm nuts.....i ordered n9 oh eBay...i have so many freakin phones....but I am so excited about having this baby in my hands....just worried about lack of viber and whasapp...many friends overseas use it....any news lately on getting sailfish on over MeeGo?
    Sent from my RM-846_apac_taiwan_250 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I lm nuts.....i ordered n9 oh eBay...i have so many freakin phones....but I am so excited about having this baby in my hands....just worried about lack of viber and whasapp...many friends overseas use it....any news lately on getting sailfish on over MeeGo?
    Sent from my RM-846_apac_taiwan_250 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    I already looked into that. Check out Open Whatsapp. They have a website and have a working whatsapp for the N9. I continue to love this phone It is possible someone will port sailfish for it, but probably not really likely. Jolla has already said they are not doing it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Cyber, what about Hotspot..is there an app for it, or do i have to put in some funky code?

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Cyber, what about Hotspot..is there an app for it, or do i have to put in some funky code?
    Discovered "SpotOn" in the Ovi store. It will turn on the wifi hotspot if it is blocked. Big plus for that one!. After playing in the ovi store for two weeks or so, I have:

SpotOn - lets me use wifi hotspot without going into terminal and entering code.
    Battery Usage (monitors power consumption/apps, etc)
    MeeCast (Weather App which integrates with Billboard Homescreen app)
    Billboard - displays whatever you want including app info like battery, weather, etc on the sleep screen
    Cute Tube - Makes YouTube easy to use and navigate
    Net Mode - Easily switch from 2g/3g
    Reboot - Lets you reboot/shut down without always using the power button
    Ionic / FB Reader - Both good book reader apps.
    Opera Mobile - I always use Opera so this was a happy find.
    Firefox
    MeMailSettings - Best ever, it fixes settings for outlook.com email, calendar, etc.
    MeeScan -barcode scanner

As I find more, I can post them if you want.

Take care and have fun!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    Discovered "SpotOn" in the Ovi store. It will turn on the wifi hotspot if it is blocked. Big plus for that one!. After playing in the ovi store for two weeks or so, I have:

SpotOn - lets me use wifi hotspot without going into terminal and entering code.
    Battery Usage (monitors power consumption/apps, etc)
    MeeCast (Weather App which integrates with Billboard Homescreen app)
    Billboard - displays whatever you want including app info like battery, weather, etc on the sleep screen
    Cute Tube - Makes YouTube easy to use and navigate
    Net Mode - Easily switch from 2g/3g
    Reboot - Lets you reboot/shut down without always using the power button
    Ionic / FB Reader - Both good book reader apps.
    Opera Mobile - I always use Opera so this was a happy find.
    Firefox
    MeMailSettings - Best ever, it fixes settings for outlook.com email, calendar, etc.
    MeeScan -barcode scanner

As I find more, I can post them if you want.

Take care and have fun!
    Thanks cyber!!! Please do post. I will as well....opening box now!!) received....can't wait to touch this baby....i will look for a what's app/viber solution as well.. Also after having fun with MeeGo for a few weeks, I will try to port in Android....here s a nice youtube video on how to do it. If I don't like Android and miss MeeGo, I can revert to MeeGo...the only negative is folks can't viber me from overseas, but they can Wazzap me))

Feedback Score
    Ok, phone is going back..I can't sync my google contacts with MS Exchange in MeeGo because Google or Microsoft dropped that support I guess...I wish I had researched that before buying....I really need to sync my contacts on the google servers. What a pity..such a beautiful piece of art.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ok, phone is going back..i can't sync my google contacts with ms exchange in meego because google or microsoft dropped that support i guess...i wish i had researched that before buying....i really need to sync my contacts on the google servers. What a pity..such a beautiful piece of art.
    use card dav!
    Nokia N950

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just got an N9 today and even if I am late it seems worth it. I'll start adding the recommended apps and update it.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would add 'Situations' and MesInput as useful apps to add as well.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    I would add 'Situations' and MesInput as useful apps to add as well.
    Thanks! I will check them out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast