Thread: Droid 3 shuts off

Feedback Score

Droid 3 shuts off

I am trying to nurse along my ancient droid 3 (about 2.5 yrs old) for another month or so until I get a new phone.

The main issue is the phone turns off by itself. This is happening several times a day, often when i am not within earshot and miss calls. The touchscreen keyboard went completely wonky today when i was trying to text from a doctor's office. The.phone.inserted.a.period.between.each.word very.annoying. The slider keyboard has been useless for about a year due to many dead keys.

The phone has gingerbread, on a verizon unlimited plan. Phone is not rooted, has a ton of original useless bloatware, the gmail and calendar applications which I use daily, and a handful of angry birds for the kids. That's it. Due to its slow speed this phone is seriously underutilized.

I have popped the battery, same problems. I have done a factory reset, same problems. I have no interest in rooting the device.

Any ideas?? Or just hand it over to the kids for games and port out to a cheap prepaid for a month or so while waiting for a Nexus 5, LG G2, etc?

Feedback Score
    Look up how to reflash gingerbread onto the phone. It isn't rooting it, its just a complete wipe/format and reload of the OS. It used to be called SBF, now its FXZ but it still might be SBF for GB.

Or just pick up a $100 used droid on the evilbays to hold you over if you are missing calls on your D3.

Also the Nexus 5 is probably not going to come to VZW so don't hold your breath for that one.

OR you could add an extra line to your plan and then just put the smartphone you get with the upgrade onto your primary line and put a dumbphone on the extra line for $10/mo. This lets you keep your unlimited data on your phone and still get a subsidized phone. This is what I do to keep unlimited on both my wife and my lines.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. We decided to switch to another carrier, and my husband's CDMA phone started acting up 2 weeks before the contract ended. I would love a new Nexus 5, but since it was early September and both phones were dying, I went with a Nexus 4 but added the $10/month upgrade in 6 months program. We purchased a cheap slider phone to test the new network and hubby has that phone now. If the new carrier can't hold our calls (it does fine so far) we will switch to a GSM prepaid. We had verizon for a long time but it was time for a change.

Anywho, the D3 is sitting here on the desk and it shuts off almost as soon as it turns on. I will try and charge it for a couple days, and if it hold a charge I will give your suggestions a try, even if we use it as a wifi games device.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is the battery 2.5 years old? Could it be that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Yes, the battery is that old, but the indicator will show not quite full charge, but maybe 75% +? I am not purchasing a new battery at this point. I had posted the main question on another android forum, and the responses there trended toward the age of the device, we use our phones 24/7, heat is electronic elements worst enemy, etc.

This was not the Droid lines finest example, even when it was new, it had problems from almost the beginning, with no recourse from verizon even though it was insured. Lesson learned: no more Droid or verizon for us. If the phone can stay on I am curious to try the GB reflash, just to see if I can do it. The phone isn't worth anything on trade so it's worth a go.

Feedback Score
    The Nexus 4 should have been $199 brand new from Google off contract a few weeks ago if you got in on the fire sale. The whole point of the Nexus is that Google subsidizes it beforehand so you aren't locked into carrier contracts. The Nexus 5 or Nexus 4 2013 or whatever it's called should be $299 or $399 off contract which is dirt cheap for a top of the line flagship device.

Hopefully T-Mobile is ok for you. If you get good service everywhere you go then good. I was thinking of switching to them until I was in MD a week ago and someone was complaining about getting crap signal with them where we were. I pulled out my Bionic and had full bars LTE and that was it for the idea of leaving VZW.

Feedback Score
    I missed the Google sale, they were completely sold out. I bought my son a Nexus 7 in August and we absolutely LOVE it, which is why I would like a Nexus 5. I just couldn't wait any longer and needed something right then so I bought the Nexus 4 from T-mobile.

We tested their network for 30 days before our contract ended and we found that coverage for voice calls was acceptable, so we switched. My husband travels for work and we tested where he goes and had awesome service. He goes to MD but is in the DC area and service is great. We are not locked into a contract. We pay $80 for two lines, unlimited voice & text, unlimited data, but only high speed data for the first 500 mb, which is more than enough for me. There is no "smartphone penalty" or extra fees for any kind of phone. I like the idea of unlimited so if anyone makes a mistake and leaves some data eating app on for days, there is no $$$$ surprise at the end of the month. I know there are data widgets and task killing apps but I just like the idea of no penalties.

I added their jump program to update the phone in six months because I do not want to end up hating a phone or being stuck with anything for 2 years. I need more than 14 days to try a phone. I am in the process of getting this phone unlocked. If I end up loving this phone I may purchase a Nexus 5 from google and upgrade someone in my family. If we end up having network issues, I can pay off the Nexus 4 and go to any GSM prepaid, which is a very attractive option.
    Last edited by pattip9842; 10-19-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: wrong device listed