Thread: International Travel Phone

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

International Travel Phone

What are the best options for getting cell phone for travel within Austria. My existing US cell is old and cheap from Net 10. Should I buy an unlocked gsm phone and get an Austria SIM card. Will I be able to use this new phone in the US after my trip? Where do I start looking?

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Ohmstede View Post
    1. What are the best options for getting cell phone for travel within Austria.
    2. My existing US cell is old and cheap from Net 10.
    3. Should I buy an unlocked gsm phone and get an Austria SIM card.
    4. Will I be able to use this new phone in the US after my trip?
    5. Where do I start looking?
    Okeh ..
    1. A prepaid phone and SIM deal in Austria is guaranteed to work - and only a small premium over buying in the US. Will you buy in the UK? in the US?
    2 ... and obviously not useful in Europe. When I looked into this, I went for a Nokia 6133 ...
    3. You could. Today I like the Samsung A187 (or A177) -- it's current, four band, cheap and the unlock code is cheap, too.
    4. In general, yes. However, if you favor ATT (or an ATT MVNO) some parts of the US need a UMTS phone ... therefore something like the U2800 is called for.
    5. This is a good spot - but you'll be ahead if you post a question like this in the US prepaid section for the carrier you favor. Give a narrower description of what you want as well.

Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The key to buying an unlocked GSM phone for use in Europe is that it should have at least the GSM bands 900 & 1800. It's preferable to have the 2100 MHz UMTS 3G band. If it's a quad-band GSM (850, 900, 1800 & 1900) and/or has additional UMTS 3G bands, that would make it easily usable in North America. TigerDirect and Amazon both have good deals on new, unlocked phones. I have bought new quad-band GSM phones from TigerDirect for as little as $25. If you buy from eBay you risk getting a phone that has been blacklisted by one or more US carriers, so only deal with highly rated eBay sellers. It's also a little easier if you get a phone that uses a standard mini-SIM card, although most carriers now also stock the micro-SIMs as standard. You do need to know which your phone uses.

For travel just within Austria, you can pick one of many options. If you are traveling around Europe, most European carriers now offer good intra-EU roaming rates. And there are some good SIMs for global roaming. The best place to learn about those options is www.prepaidgsm.net

So, you could either just get the minimal phone to accomplish what you need for this trip or you could look at this as an opportunity to upgrade your old phone and get something a bit fancier that could be used both at home and when you travel. For instance, a used iPhone 3GS or 4 could be used with an ATT MVNO in the US and any of the carriers in Austria.

You probably want to buy the phone before you go but wait until you get there to buy the Austrian SIM. There are places that sell foreign SIMs here in the US but they charge a serious premium for the convenience.
    Donald Newcomb