Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Microsoft’s Nokia buy may signal the end of Windows Phone as we know it

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I agree the note stylus implementation is nice, buts a compliment to the device and OS, not a necessity. If you had to use the stylus for everything you did the novelty would wear fast IMO.
    You are CORRECT, a compliment ...

I've used office on my 4.5" Nokia Lumia 920, successfully. With a 6" screen (and stylus if warranted) it would be a breeze. I'm old (gonna be 60) with fat fingers, thus the 6" screen would be a boon to me. That being said, the 2 finger, double tap (to enlarge a section of the screen) works well, also.
    I will re-iterate, the Nokia Lumia 1520 with a stylus, slot & added functionality would be the $#!t for me - I think it might get others (at least) looking at this device. It could be advertised as a less expensive (cheaper is such a bad word, infers inferior) device than the Note 3 (neighbor just paid full price $700. w Verizon to keep his unlimited data) with similar functionality. At the current pricepoint ($99. on contract) it would be a steal. I'm still gonna get it, when I have something to carry it with / in.
    I'm sure Nokia (MS) can make room for a stylus slot in future iterations, and write some code to add core functionality.
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    There is very wide agreement – seemingly even MS itself – that the ARM RT WP platform's Achilles heel is its paltry app selection. That's the thrust of my contentions here. I'm getting borderline ad hominem responses like "silly" and "nobody" which often signals the presence of vested interests in the discussion.

I would point out that the Dell Venue 8" i86 tablet is doing very well. The drop to a 6"+ phablet is certainly significant but not not, by any means, insurmountable. I'm merely suggesting that MS – in order to save its mobile enterprise – needs to take whatever steps are necessary to 'make it so.'

The mobile Windows platform lends itself very well to docked usage. A 14nm Cherry Trail based 6.3" Nokia phablet with speeds above 2.5 and 8GB RAM could be just the Grinch Redmond needs to steal Xmas of '14.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    There is very wide agreement – seemingly even MS itself – that the ARM RT WP platform's Achilles heel is its paltry app selection. That's the thrust of my contentions here. I'm getting borderline ad hominem responses like "silly" and "nobody" which often signals the presence of vested interests in the discussion.

I would point out that the Dell Venue 8" i86 tablet is doing very well. The drop to a 6"+ phablet is certainly significant but not not, by any means, insurmountable. I'm merely suggesting that MS – in order to save its mobile enterprise – needs to take whatever steps are necessary to 'make it so.'

The mobile Windows platforms lends itself very well to docked usage. A 14nm Cherry Trail based 6.3" Nokia phablet with speeds above 2.5 and 8GB RAM could be just the Grinch Redmond needs to steal Xmas of '14.

... and price it @ $249.on contract ! That's a VERY high end smartphone / phablet, if it were to come to pass, make it the same size as the Lumia 1520 (or smaller, eliminate some bezel), 'cause you know Samsung will scale UP - until the max (sales driven, consumer pushback) is reached.

However, I see the unsubsidized phone model creeping in (possibly as soon as 1stQ 2015) which would retail this @ $700. - $850. ! You know the Big 2 are watching T-Mobile, intently (TMob subs went UP this quarter). This may retard the growth of high end devices. Suppose they build it & NO one comes !

ONE other issue, where's the heat sink ? Devices get hot now !

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    The Cherry Trail SoCs scale at 14nm, as I posted. The Snapdragon chip in the S4, for comparison, is a 28nm SoC. The reduced dimensions will allow the new Intels to do more faster while consuming less power – and producing less heat. No heat sink required.

The mSD must be retained, of course, and a removable battery would be a tremendous plus.

Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-04-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    I like Nokia Windows Phones. They are very good and cheap to use. I hope that they will keep on doing their work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3