Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked Chinese Android/Restricted Access Changed

Feedback Score

Unlocked Chinese Android/Restricted Access Changed

I upgraded from a ZTE Merit to an unlocked Chinese Android with an AT&T StraightTalk Sim. The Merit was working fine (just tired of dealing with the limited internal space). As soon as I activated the new phone, I get a text from Straight Talk saying the phone is activated. I was then able to make a phone call. However, less than 5 minutes later I get a notification RESTRICTED ACCESS CHANGED and my cell service is gone, as in no signal bars on the screen. A few minutes later the bars reappear and I can send/receive texts and calls. But then a few minutes later I get the notification again and no service. This nasty cycle has been going on for 4 days!!! I have called Straight Talk every day and every day I get the same line "there are outages reported in your area." My questions are these:
    1. Could something be defective with the SIM?
    2. Could something be defective with the phone?
    3. Could it have something to do with being in an area with not very good coverage? For instance, I work in a school. My office is surrounded by cinderblocks. With my Merit I had to stand by a certain window to make calls, etc.
    Any help from you guys and gals out there would be appreciated. I am getting very frustrated!!!!

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    the phone.if the merit worked fine then its the phone.if the phone is a dual sim phone make sure you have the sim in the correct slot.

many have tried the chin phones and not had much luck.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When I transferred my ZTE Merit AT&T ST SIM over to my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket and turned it on I didn't get any message from ST about it. It just worked, after setting the correct APN of course. And that was about 4 months ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    the phone.if the merit worked fine then its the phone.if the phone is a dual sim phone make sure you have the sim in the correct slot.

many have tried the chin phones and not had much luck.
    It is a dual-sim. I had the card in the wrong slot at first. It's in the right one now. I might have activated it when it was in the wrong slot, but I don't think I did. I don't think it would have activated then.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    keep us informed.btw what model of chin android did you get.if can post a link to it.

Feedback Score
    keep us informed.btw what model of chin android did you get.if can post a link to it.
    This is the phone I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221262010230...84.m1497.l2649 The model is F7100, but I have yet to figure out the make. Nothing that came with the phone tells me. And it only gives the make on the phone (under the battery).

I spoke with 2 different people yet again last night with Straight Talk and was given the same line I've been given since Sunday: the support tower in my area is down. As I said in my last post, I really think it might be because I activated it with the card in the wrong slot at first. So I might reactivate my Merit, see how it's doing as far as signal and then reactive the new phone with the card in the GSM slot. If not, I'm going to try my best to return this phone. It should work. There's no logical reason for it to not work.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    One can activate a SIM card with or without a telephone. All that is needed is an IMEI to associate with the SIM card. Straight Talk does not even use the actual IMEI but the number printed on an activation card accompanying the SIM card. Switching back and forth between SIM cards slots in the same telephone should be no different from switching the SIM card into a different telephone. Note that the telephone does not have UMTS Band II (1900). This could cause high speed data connectivity problems in locations using that band. The telephone might have UMTS Band V (850) paired with GSM Band VIII (900) or GSM Band III (1800), which are used in Hong Kong and Australia. In the United States, Bands II (1900) and V (850) are used for both GSM and UMTS service.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    this what ebay shows as bands

Cellular Band: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 OR 3G WCDMA ,NOT WORK 4G LTE

safe to say it wont do hspda

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The specifications stated nothing about the speeds available. There are three types of service officially allowed to be called 4G, HSPA+, Wi-Max and LTE.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for all the good info! The problem isn't my data. I have no voice/text service at times. I live in a rural area that just got 3G about 2 years ago. I don't know if that's helpful or not. Please keep the info coming. There has to be answer to this!

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    have you tried on a different tower.

Feedback Score
    have you tried on a different tower.
    I'm having the same issue at home and at work (about 35 miles apart). So I guess so???

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by btrfly4god View Post
    I'm having the same issue at home and at work (about 35 miles apart). So I guess so???
    too bad you cant get your hands on a att branded phone to try your sim in.

Feedback Score
    too bad you cant get your hands on a att branded phone to try your sim in.
    I thought about pulling the SIM out of the Merit and trying it. Thoughts?

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    yes to see if you can talk and text with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast