Thread: How fast is data on Videotron?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

How fast is data on Videotron?

I don't personally live in a Videotron region, but I've always been interested in seeing how Videotron's 3G fairs out compared to wind mobile, which uses the same frequency.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Phones that support DC-HSPA like the S4 can go as fast as 23-25mbps in download on the Videotron Network.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsoon View Post
    Phones that support DC-HSPA like the S4 can go as fast as 23-25mbps in download on the Videotron Network.
    Would you be able to post speedtests? This is very interesting. I believe Wind has the same band, but it's data speeds are horrible, and people often defend Wind by saying that it doesn't have enough frequency. Knowing that Videotron manages to deliver excellent services using the same frequency as Wind says a lot about Wind's flaky network.

Feedback Score
    i'm about to jump ship from fido to videotron and would like to know how fast is the videotron network.
    I find fido lte speeds to be quite good but since videotron has a better plan and are offering the note 3, i'm very tempted to sign up.
    can someone please post of comment on the lte speeds from personal experience?

thx

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Videotron won't have LTE until next year. For speed it depend, where I am I get over 20mbps most of the time but it could be different where you live. Best try is try one. You have 30 days with less than 30 minutes to test. After you can port-out your number from Fido or return the note 3 with reimbursement if you have network availability or speed problem.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsam View Post
    Would you be able to post speedtests? This is very interesting. I believe Wind has the same band, but it's data speeds are horrible, and people often defend Wind by saying that it doesn't have enough frequency. Knowing that Videotron manages to deliver excellent services using the same frequency as Wind says a lot about Wind's flaky network.
    Videotron has 50+Mhz of AWS in Quebec compared to 10-20Mhz on Wind depending on region. Videotron probably has HSPA+42 if 3G speeds are in the 20Mbps+ range compared to Wind with only HSPA+21 in certain regions.
    Personal Plans:
    Plan 1: - Virgin Mobile 10GB BYOP - $54

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    How about some speed tests?

Sent from my SGH-T999V using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    so I pulled the trigger and jumped ship from Fido to Videotron.

The money I saved from the plan was worth the switch, however, the data speeds, although decent, not as fast as Fido.

Videotron is AWS according to the rep and won't be full LTE until next year, maybe around April.

I took 2 screenshots from different locations. The speeds vary drastically from location to location. For example, sometimes the speeds will be around 20mbps and sometimes drop to 1 mbps. Their network infrastructure is so new and they most likely only have a handful of antennas throughout the island of Montreal. But on average the speeds are usually around 5mbps.

One of the annoying situations is when im visiting my parents who live in the West Island. Barely any reception and almost zero internet access. This is especially frustrating because it's such a densely packaged area it doesn't make send that there's no reception.

On a side note, the Note 3 is a decent phone. It is the cheapest you can find at $199 with a 2 yr agreement.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    The fact that you can pull 30mbps down is incredible. I'm with Wind in Ontario (Also uses AWS) and my average is 2mbps down, 0.1mbps up. In some of the newer areas, I can get 10mbps down and 1mbps, and I consider that fast. Wind has a lot of work to do, but Videotron's superior speeds are definitely due to the DC-HSPA, which Wind is not capable of providing due to their lack of spectrum.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Hate to say it but winds reported speeds are low enough that I assumed they were a cdma carrier running evdo data, not hspa! 8-)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Hate to say it but winds reported speeds are low enough that I assumed they were a cdma carrier running evdo data, not hspa! 8-)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums
    Best quote ever
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer