Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Ringplus Member Discussion

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, UnrealMobile, AT&T, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    I don't think a Blackberry ESN will even pass the R+ sniff test, but I don't have one to try.

That is probably my biggest complaint, that there are so many good phones from Boost and Virgin laying around that could be used by those not wanting to use either service for what ever reason, yet they are married for life to these subsidiaries. One reason I could careless if someone used older ones on an MVNO if it isn't actually blocked.

Why these devices should be included in the voluntary agreement between the FCC and the Carriers under the PrePaid portion where after a year their ESN would be unlocked or unblocked and software blocks removed!
    The only thing I can think of is that it is their own phone, from their own companies, on their own network. They are happy to give you the MSL/SPC number (which is the unlock code) because they know you cannot take it anywhere else. Cricket and MetroPCS CDMA networks are going away and Verizon will not touch it. The Sprint MVNOs are using their network and have to play by their rules. I don't think there is much anyone can do. This is why I like GSM so much better.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that it is their own phone, from their own companies, on their own network. They are happy to give you the MSL/SPC number (which is the unlock code) because they know you cannot take it anywhere else. Cricket and MetroPCS CDMA networks are going away and Verizon will not touch it. The Sprint MVNOs are using their network and have to play by their rules. I don't think there is much anyone can do. This is why I like GSM so much better.
    I agree with your GSM sentiment! Just goes to show that ultimately there is no real competition in this market place. A quick look at Verizon and their Draconian policy of 3G only devices on their Pre-Paid and MVNOs bears that out. You have to dig deep through their trash bin of discontinued LTE devices to even come up with a 3G only one to bring over OTB.

I think anyone who buys a pre-paid device that is married to a particular carrier like Boost/Virgin is doing themselves a disservice, Boost/Virgin may be subsidizing the devices somewhat, but it is not like they are giving their phones away either.
    I don't think anyone would be arguing to bring over their latest and not so greatest offerings, I know I am not, but as with my 3 year old EVO V 3D, it is ludicrous, especially when I know it works without issue on a non VM carrier.

I know I will never purchase a device locked to any specific carrier or their subsidiary again.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/34.1309; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by agalvan
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Very interesting...
    So anyone know when the next time to sign up for their free service providing they don't block the phones from Boost and Virgin by then.
    The only actual Sprint phone I have is an older BlackBerry which has been on the list of not allowed phones.
    Well anyway it's not like I really need another line of service but would be nice to get some use out of at least one of those in my pile of Boost and Virgin phones.

Sent from my Fantastic Galaxy S2
    I don't think they where ever blocked. But in the "Rules of the Road", it says that if it became known that you activated a Boost or VM phone they can deactivate it. It seems that they are now exposed.
    I know a person with an optimus v that was blocked

Feedback Score
    I don't think a Blackberry ESN will even pass the R+ sniff test, but I don't have one to try.

That is probably my biggest complaint, that there are so many good phones from Boost and Virgin laying around that could be used by those not wanting to use either service for what ever reason, yet they are married for life to these subsidiaries. One reason I could careless if someone used older ones on an MVNO if it isn't actually blocked.

Why these devices should be included in the voluntary agreement between the FCC and the Carriers under the PrePaid portion where after a year their ESN would be unlocked or unblocked and software blocks removed!
    I have gone through my big bin of phones and discovered a Sprint HTC Evo 4G and an ancient Sprint Moto Q.
    They both still fire up so maybe the next round of free service offering on Ring Plus I will see about getting one of them signed up.

Sent from my Fantastic Galaxy S2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agalvan View Post
    I agree about GSM. Too bad there are no competitive GSM MVNO's
    her phone: T-mobile M919 Galaxy S4 (gpe Lollipop 5.1 rooted) on Cricket (AT&T)
    his phone: T-mobile M919 Galaxy S4 (gpe Lollipop 5.1 rooted) on Cricket (AT&T)
    tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro (Android 4.2 rooted)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paroots View Post
    I agree about GSM. Too bad there are no competitive GSM MVNO's
    What do you mean? If GSM coverage works in your area, there are lots of competitive GSM MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What do you mean? If GSM coverage works in your area, there are lots of competitive GSM MVNOs.
    I've searched high and low and never found any GSM offer even remotely close to R+. I would sure appreciate hearing about some My wife has a GSM phone and pays Straight Talk $42/mo (based on 90 day refill cards). I have the R+ 2013 free plan and pay <$4/mo for my data overages. I can get by easily with 300 minutes, 100 texts and 200 GBytes.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The GSM maybe competitive between themselves and that is about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by paroots View Post
    I've searched high and low and never found any GSM offer even remotely close to R+. I would sure appreciate hearing about some My wife has a GSM phone and pays Straight Talk $42/mo (based on 90 day refill cards). I have the R+ 2013 free plan and pay <$4/mo for my data overages. I can get by easily with 300 minutes, 100 texts and 200 GBytes.
    I agree and have also searched high an low.
    No single GSM MVNO offers 2cent Voice/Text/Data overages or comparable paygo. I think the best you can get is Lyca for voice 2c and PTel for text 2c other than that it is a more expensive proposition to use GSM MVNOs, unless you actually use A LOT of Voice and Text and the unlimited plans work for you.
    Makes me sick to say it because Sprint makes me nauseous!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Important Information about the BYOSD Program - Effective Immediately

Recently Posted on the R+ Discourse Forum:
    Several phones from Sprint retail have been removed from the blacklist and can now be activated, effective immediately. The iPhone 3, 3GS[sic], 4, and 4S are now available to be activated on the RingPlus network.
    Note: iPhone 3, 3GS are GSM???
    Last edited by pfoneguy; 03-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    I found it. Sprint signed it, but Virgin did not. By its terms, the Agreement only applies to carriers that signed it - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon. And the Agreement isn't with the FCC. Rather, they voluntarily agreed, among themselves, in order to head off the FCC taking formal regulatory action. Here's a link for anyone who wants to read it:

http://www.ctia.org/docs/default-sou...-unlocking.pdf
    "Virgin Mobile devices are not currently subject to an unlocking policy. However, in accordance with the CTIA's "Mobile Wireless Device Unlocking Voluntary Commitment" ("Unlocking Commitment"), Virgin Mobile is creating new policies and procedures in order to provide the device software locking code to customers after certain eligibility requirements are met. Consistent with its Unlocking Commitment, Virgin Mobile will implement these new policies and procedures no later than February 11, 2015."

VM CTIA / Regulatory

CTIA agreement

Too bad they are pushing it down the road to 2015.

Note: I started an FCC agreement thread so we could carry on this conversation over there and not potentially side track this thread.
    Last edited by pfoneguy; 03-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Recently Posted on the R+ Discourse Forum:
    Several phones from Sprint retail have been removed from the blacklist and can now be activated, effective immediately. The iPhone 3, 3GS[sic], 4, and 4S are now available to be activated on the RingPlus network.
    Note: iPhone 3, 3GS are GSM???
    Update:
    Our carrier partner is currently working to fix the registration process for the iPhone 4 and 4S. Please hang tight until we get an update as to when the registration will be running smoothly again.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    http://www.cowboom.com/product/1334790

New in box Sprint Galaxy Nexus for $117.99 + tax, free shipping. 15 day no questions asked return policy, with a prepaid return label, and Cowboom refunds QUICK. Decided to try one. Supposedly the update to 4.3 has helped the phone a lot. I had one on the original Android 4.0 and really didn't care for it. I also paid $350 + tax + shipping so I didn't keep it.

Figured this was worth posting (not sure how fast it'll sell out) - 4.7" screen and new in box. Perfect for R+.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11 eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 11 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    Hey guys!

I recently found out about RingPlus and the free promo they will have March 28th.
    I wanted to try them out so I got a used Sprint labeled plum colored HTC Evo 3D from a ebay seller with good feedback.
    It arrived today and although the smartphone is labeled Sprint, upon bootup it appears to be on Virgin Mobile!! The phone appears not to be rooted or unlocked. The eBay seller said the smartphone is for Sprint!
    I know one of the rules from RingPlus is no VM phones but I checked the ESN via Ringplus website and it stated it's clean and ready for activation on RingPlus. I don't know if i should just risk it or return it and miss the promo?!
    Anyone here using a VM phone on Ringplus for more than 2 months?
    Also is there a way I can check to see if the ESN belongs to Sprint of VM originally??

Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    Keyz16b - Can't answer your questions. First thing I thought was it's a Virgin phone that had a damaged case replaced with a Sprint branded case.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    Hey guys!

I recently found out about RingPlus and the free promo they will have March 28th.
    I wanted to try them out so I got a used Sprint labeled plum colored HTC Evo 3D from a ebay seller with good feedback.
    It arrived today and although the smartphone is labeled Sprint, upon bootup it appears to be on Virgin Mobile!! The phone appears not to be rooted or unlocked. The eBay seller said the smartphone is for Sprint!
    I know one of the rules from RingPlus is no VM phones but I checked the ESN via Ringplus website and it stated it's clean and ready for activation on RingPlus. I don't know if i should just risk it or return it and miss the promo?!
    Anyone here using a VM phone on Ringplus for more than 2 months?
    Also is there a way I can check to see if the ESN belongs to Sprint of VM originally??

Thanks for the help.
    When you check the ESN in the R+ checker what does it show? Does it show (Htc VMU HTC 3D X515C PLVHT515KT)?

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast