Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade and keep Unlimited Data glitch (Now Dead)

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Like when companies have an online price that is obviously not supposed to be that way. After finding it out they inform people that sorry you're not getting it for that price.
    When companies do this they cancel your order. They don't ship it then say "Oh sorry we are going to charge you a totally different price." If they start switching from unlimited to 6GB they may get A LOT of returns (since terms allow returning an upgrade and reverting to previous terms and plan.)

Sent with the HoFo App

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    When companies do this they cancel your order. They don't ship it then say "Oh sorry we are going to charge you a totally different price." If they start switching from unlimited to 6GB they may get A LOT of returns (since terms allow returning an upgrade and reverting to previous terms and plan.)

Sent with the HoFo App

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums
    This has been my thought exactly as well. They will either cancel the orders due to the glitch, honor them, or extend returns to those already activating the device. Nice to know they decided on the second one.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    What I was getting at is the Verizon is currently allowing expired contracts to keep their unlimited, so why wouldn't they do the same for those who took advantage of this glitch? Except for the case of unlimited international data, Verizon has never took away something that has been grandfathered, so precedent leads one to believe that the odds are greater that unlimited data will continue to be grandfathered after the contract ends than Verizon taking away unlimited data when their contracts end.
    Grandfathering is the ******* child of the wireless industry, thats why. A contract is just that, a contract, and they do expire. Let me ask you a question, why when I sign a new contract do they not throw in unlimited? Let me phrase it another way, what makes you think you are better that me?

Should millions of new customers insist on getting the perks older, lower paying customers get?
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Grandfathering is the ******* child of the wireless industry, thats why. A contract is just that, a contract, and they do expire. Let me ask you a question, why when I sign a new contract do they not throw in unlimited? Let me phrase it another way, what makes you think you are better that me?

Should millions of new customers insist on getting the perks older, lower paying customers get?
    It costs wireless carriers roughly $300-$500 to grab a new subscriber. Grandfathering was and is a way to keep and reward loyal customers so that the carrier doesn't have to greatly increase their SG&A expenses.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post

Yes

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    It costs wireless carriers roughly $300-$500 to grab a new subscriber. Grandfathering was and is a way to keep and reward loyal customers so that the carrier doesn't have to greatly increase their SG&A expenses.
    I get your point, and have understood the math for decades, but why should I give a rats *** what a major profit machine issues are! I demand mine, and they need to take head about that concept. Me me me me!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, grandfathering is a great marketing tool to discourage subscribers from leaving. With my 5 smartphone lines with unlimited data, it would cost me $100 more a month if I had to switch to tiered or Share Everything. In the area where I live, T-Mobile only offers EDGE so there is no incentive to switch to them. Sprint claims to have WiMax in my area, but it only offers speeds of around 200k and it is nearly unusable indoors. While AT&T doesn't offer LTE in my area yet, they do have HSPA+ but they don't offer unlimited. While I continue to get unlimited data with Verizon, I will continue to use them and will never leave. However, if they were to take away my grandfathered unlimited plans, I would have no reason to stay with them. I could easily switch to AT&T and get a larger corporate discount and my AT&T bill would be lower than staying with Verizon.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Vzw doesn't know what a great thing they have in this entrenched user base that won't leave and will continue paying their bills happily every month because they have unlimited data until something better does come along and they do leave en masse for that better solution.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I ordered the Galaxy S4 over the weekend to take advantage of this and replace my Thunderbolt. I received an email confirmation of my order that showed the $29.99 Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones. When I received my phone today, the receipt showed the $30 2G tier. Called CS and told him that the receipt with the phone is different from the email. He said that the order on the computer shows that unlimited will be kept, so he put me on hold for a short bit to verify. When he came back, he said he has someone on the line that can ensure I keep unlimited data. Talking to the second guy, he said that I would have to be switched to tiered and then he would put in some paperwork to change it back. He asked me to email him my confirmation email. Once I activated the phone, he was able to switch me back to unlimited without having to do the paperwork. Verified on My Verizon that I still have unlimited.
    Chris

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    so that the carrier doesn't have to greatly increase their SG&A expenses.
    Don't even mention their MM&P.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Vzw doesn't know what a great thing they have in this entrenched user base that won't leave and will continue paying their bills happily every month because they have unlimited data until something better does come along and they do leave en masse for that better solution.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk 2
    This +1000. I'm sure that st this point most ppl with unlimited are keeping it on purpose by buying full price, used phones or using a ghost line to get upgrades. I am already thinking of bailing for t mobile and just getting a nexus every year with tax returns so I don't go on their ridiculous payment plan. I have a strong feeling that verizon is going to get rid of unlimited completely in 2014 and I don't want to be stuck until 2016 unless I etf out. T mobile has great hspa+ coverage out here and I'd be saving $60/mo too.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
    This +1000. I'm sure that st this point most ppl with unlimited are keeping it on purpose by buying full price, used phones or using a ghost line to get upgrades. I am already thinking of bailing for t mobile and just getting a nexus every year with tax returns so I don't go on their ridiculous payment plan. I have a strong feeling that verizon is going to get rid of unlimited completely in 2014 and I don't want to be stuck until 2016 unless I etf out. T mobile has great hspa+ coverage out here and I'd be saving $60/mo too.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Verizon isn't going to just take it away or people would be free to leave. Looks like unlimited data will remain till at least November 2015 then I would imagine it would go back to like it is now where you are allowed to keep it unless you do an upgrade. T-mobile coverage is a joke if you ever leave the interstate your phone will not work . Then again I am a storm chaser and travel in lots of areas where most people don't . I would rather stick with Verizon or ATT when it comes to coverage for my needs cause it just works

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Verizon isn't going to just take it away or people would be free to leave. Looks like unlimited data will remain till at least November 2015 then I would imagine it would go back to like it is now where you are allowed to keep it unless you do an upgrade. T-mobile coverage is a joke if you ever leave the interstate your phone will not work . Then again I am a storm chaser and travel in lots of areas where most people don't . I would rather stick with Verizon or ATT when it comes to coverage for my needs cause it just works
    Out of contract, which most unlimited data uses are, Verizon can most certainly take it away. They can make it so miserable to have it most people would willingly switch too to a different plan or carrier.

And while some doomsayers think there would be a mass exodus if they did that, that is unrealistic too.

Many would grumble but would grudgingly change to a tiered plan and be forced to change their data habits. Mainly because of coverage or service they know they couldn't get with others where they are at our where they would go.

Some would switch. But then regret it for a number of reasons and switch back. And yes some would stay away for good.

Verizon knows this.

Verizon knows what they are doing. They can get you off Unlimited data just by making having it a living hell. Or they can use VOLTE as an excuse. Etc etc

Unlimited data will not last forever. It's in its sunset years for sure. All the whining and threatening to move to another carrier in the world won't stop that.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Out of contract, which most unlimited data uses are, Verizon can most certainly take it away. They can make it so miserable to have it most people would willingly switch too to a different plan or carrier.

And while some doomsayers think there would be a mass exodus if they did that, that is unrealistic too.

Many would grumble but would grudgingly change to a tiered plan and be forced to change their data habits. Mainly because of coverage or service they know they couldn't get with others where they are at our where they would go.

Some would switch. But then regret it for a number of reasons and switch back. And yes some would stay away for good.
    If Verizon would take away unlimited, I would walk and take my 5 lines to AT&T. Since I would be on tiered anyways, AT&T would give me a larger discount that would result in a lower overall bill and service would not necessarily suffer.

Feedback Score

Verizon knows this.

Verizon knows what they are doing. They can get you off Unlimited data just by making having it a living hell. Or they can use VOLTE as an excuse. Etc etc

Unlimited data will not last forever. It's in its sunset years for sure. All the whining and threatening to move to another carrier in the world won't stop that.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I agree with you overall, but you make a couple of statements which I'm not sure are accurate. Do you have sources to confirm, or you just assuming?

The first is that "Out of contract, which most unlimited data uses are". Many unlimited users renewed their contract just before the June of 2012 deadline by buying a new subsidized phone. I'm making that statement based on the many, many posts on this and other forums. Those folks are still under contract. Also, there are lot's of business accounts which have unlimited data. In fact, Verizon still offers those unlimited plans.

The second assumption you are making is that because someone is on an unlimited data plan, they use an excessive amount of data. I've been on unlimited for several years and only in three months have I ever used more than 2 gb data. I have no need to " be forced to change their data habits". I simply keep unlimited for two reasons. Firstly, I fully expect my (and everyone else's) data consumption to increase and secondly, at $30 before discount it's the cheapest data offering available to me. Why buy a 2 gb package for the same price?

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast