Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would I be stupid to ditch my two grandfathered unlimited lines for T-Mobile?

Feedback Score

Would I be stupid to ditch my two grandfathered unlimited lines for T-Mobile?

Have 2 unlimited lines and a third "ghost line" that I use to keep my unlimited and get upgrades still for $10/mo extra. (transfer upgrade, upgrade dummy line, then transfer again and upgrade the other one confirmed I would keep my data with multiple VZW reps). I have 15% off for Military discount so my bill is $170/mo for the 2 data plans with 550 anytime minutes(free vzw to vzw minutes) an unlimited VZW texting/1000 any texts.

If I was to go to T-Mo I'd be paying around $110 and they have great HSPA+ coverage around me but if I travel it gets dicey out of state. Also where I work is only 2G EDGE coverage but I rarely use data at work since in my office I can't even get LTE anyway in the middle of the building. Just listen to cached music on slacker or whatever. I'd also be doing the Nexus thing so I would not be on contract and paying the ridiculous $25/mo payment for a new phone plus the sales tax on initially getting it.

I'm worried I'll do two new 2 yr contracts this winter and then they'll finally dump grandfathered unlimited in 2014 and I'll be screwed. I usually use 8-12 gigs a month, my wife somehow uses 3-5 gigs (no idea but that's what the data usage says) and we kind of need to keep unlimited. More of a pre-emptive strike thing although I know there is no guarantee that T-Mo and Sprint will keep unlimited either.

Any opinions?

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had tmobile a few years back and I would never go back to them no matter the savings. Simply put their coverage is grossly inadequate. They are worthless if you can't get a signal. I need a phone to work. It is a phone after all and could save you a major headache if it works when you need it. I'd advise against leaving the carrier with the best overall coverage to jump on the one with the worst coverage.
    EDIT: if you never plan on leaving the city you'll be fine with Tmobile.

Feedback Score
    That is what worries me the most. NJ has very good coverage and so does the eastern part of PA but my wife and I travel routinely and I'm worried I'll wind up somewhere without any signal and be hosed. But just looking at the coverage maps around here I should be good unless I'm going 3-4 hours away from the house.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    The peace of mind I have when traveling using verizon as my service is priceless. Think long and hard before you give that up.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't they have a to go phone? You could try it and compare coverage.

Feedback Score
    That's what I'm thinking. Buy a cheap HSPA+ phone for 1 month and see what's up.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    If T-Mo works in your area, and you don't go on lots of road trips, then I'd say go for it. I don't see any reason to think T-Mo will fail to grandfather. In the worst case, they throttle on overage at least rather than charge cash overage (and the throttle speed does not sound too bad.)

edit: cbreze's advice is good, try a prepaid phone out.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
    NJ has very good coverage and so does the eastern part of PA but my wife and I travel routinely and I'm worried I'll wind up somewhere without any signal and be hosed..
    Just want to give a bit of info here solely on PA. If you're speaking of T-Mobile in Southeastern PA, you'll have great coverage - HSPA+, LTE... But if you travel north of Lancaster/Reading/Allentown, you will be disappointed. Not sure if you venture up north of those areas but I wanted to help if you do. There are a few areas of LTE (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton) and 4G/3G (Stroudsburg and 2 or 3 areas of the Poconos) but otherwise it's an ocean of EDGE that will get you 60Kbps on its best day and a lot of dropped calls. I want off of VZW myself but where I am now T-Mobile just isn't up to par yet. Recently did a trial on T-Mobile to see if things changed since 2007 when I had them last and it put into perspective how much better VZW has PA covered (sq mileage and high-speed data) vs T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
    Have 2 unlimited lines and a third "ghost line" that I use to keep my unlimited and get upgrades still for $10/mo extra. (transfer upgrade, upgrade dummy line, then transfer again and upgrade the other one confirmed I would keep my data with multiple VZW reps). I have 15% off for Military discount so my bill is $170/mo for the 2 data plans with 550 anytime minutes(free vzw to vzw minutes) an unlimited VZW texting/1000 any texts.

If I was to go to T-Mo I'd be paying around $110 and they have great HSPA+ coverage around me but if I travel it gets dicey out of state. Also where I work is only 2G EDGE coverage but I rarely use data at work since in my office I can't even get LTE anyway in the middle of the building. Just listen to cached music on slacker or whatever. I'd also be doing the Nexus thing so I would not be on contract and paying the ridiculous $25/mo payment for a new phone plus the sales tax on initially getting it.

I'm worried I'll do two new 2 yr contracts this winter and then they'll finally dump grandfathered unlimited in 2014 and I'll be screwed. I usually use 8-12 gigs a month, my wife somehow uses 3-5 gigs (no idea but that's what the data usage says) and we kind of need to keep unlimited. More of a pre-emptive strike thing although I know there is no guarantee that T-Mo and Sprint will keep unlimited either.

Any opinions?
    Yes, you'd be stupid.

The price difference is $60/mo, and you know how to use the third line to keep your upgrades. Subsidies are worth at least $20/mo per line if you use them well, so that basically means that you are getting $60/mo in subsidies (3 lines * $20/per). Even if you don't keep the phones, you could just get an iPhone 5S and sell it to get the full value of the subsidy.

In effect, this makes the prices pretty much equal, and for the same price it is foolish to use T-Mobile over Verizon when you have a Verizon truly unlimited (and can tether unlimited) data plan.

Also, Verizon just said that they are going to honor the unlimited plans for at least the length of the their contracts (when they just had the loophole). So, if you upgrade this winter, you'll have it through winter of 2015.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    To the original poster's subject line:

Yes...

If you decide to proceed with your ditch attempt, please consider passing on your epically awesome rateplan on to someone that wants it BEFORE switching.

Feedback Score
    Yes and no

Sell those lines

Try out tmo prepaid first

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Had T-Mobile in the past too and the coverage was so-so. Always had a lot of dropped calls when driving and in populated areas and events (like a concert) even texts would fail.

Not sure how much they have improved in the past few years but that was my experience.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    Yeah we went up to Reading, PA today actually for a show. Coverage map said both services had good coverage up there but I was speed testing 10+MBPS easy with VZW. Everywhere I go literally in the Northeast I get LTE with these guys and it is unlimited. I was in Florida last month on business and at the airport I was pulling 20+ and downloaded 3 movies to watch on the plane lol. Probably should not give something like that up... I used nearly 20 gigs that month which was one of my highest uses ever. I routinely hit 10 gigs and I have never got any sort of warning letter. Always had great customer service, even my wife hits nearly 4 gigs per month from instagram and uploading videos to social media. LTE is actually so good at our house its kind of an afterthought to turn on wifi or not. Although ppl with T-Mo around us get ridiculous speeds too because of VERY strong HSPA+ coverage.

I suppose the grass is not greener in this case, just wanted to confirm.

Device(s)
    iPhone6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It really depends where you are! T-Mobile in my case is ok! But truly I'd stick with Verizon, especially if you're on the Verizon unlimited plan. Verizon has better coverage than T-Mobile!

Sent with the HoFo App
    TheTechKing

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Get off VZW - you can get unlimited with Tmobile. Yes, if you road trip a lot, Tmobile is terrible if you want to use data, while on the road. If you travel by plane - you'll be fine. If you go to very small towns and such, maybe it isn't a good idea. But, you live back east where coverage is much better - out here in the west, you leave a city, you're begging for EDGE from ATT/Tmobile or VZW's 1x at times even.

Get a Nexus - the cost is the same as an 'upgrade' at VZW and you own the phone and its unlocked and comes with a full warranty still. Sell your unlimited plans and make money. Save money monthly on your phone bill.

You can also switch around providers if you like. AIO is an ATT prepaid that now offers unlimited ( you get a throttle after 7gb but it's useful to do streaming, email, etc. No, you won't load HD movies but you can watch basic youtube even at 256kbps). Don't be locked down with VZW's CDMA network - which you still must use for voice (a 2g network at that...).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast