Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would I be stupid to ditch my two grandfathered unlimited lines for T-Mobile?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Had T-Mobile in the past too and the coverage was so-so. Always had a lot of dropped calls when driving and in populated areas and events (like a concert) even texts would fail.

Not sure how much they have improved in the past few years but that was my experience.
    At least in my area they improved alot compared to 3 years ago when I first tried them out

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Neither Vzw nor TMUS is likely to jerk the UL rug out from under anybody. TMUS is right now reassigning the ancient $6 UL folks to updated UL plans. But it appears no one is losing UL or getting raped with overpriced data.

However, there is something going on with vzw that could influence OP's decision. It is well enough publicized that it's a real mystery to me why so many HoFo stalwarts ignore it.

VZ has sued the FCC over the open internet rules and most experts seem to believe it will win much of what it sought. Final ruling probably early '14. For OP's question, the important point is that throttling on vzw LTE becomes *very* possible.

For more:
    A few links here.
    And, My summary here.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 10-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Neither Vzw nor TMUS is likely to jerk the UL rug out from under anybody. TMUS is right now reassigning the ancient $6 UL folks to updated UL plans. But it appears no one is losing UL or getting raped with overpriced data.

However, there is something going on with vzw that could influence OP's decision. It is well enough publicized that it's a real mystery to me why so many HoFo stalwarts ignore it.

VZ has sued the FCC over the open internet rules and most experts seem to believe it will win much of what it sought. Final ruling probably early '14. For OP's question, the important point is that throttling on vzw LTE becomes *very* possible.

For more:
    A few links here.
    And, My summary here.

If Verizon starts throttling LTE, then it goes back to the debate over Verizon being hypocritical if they say they throttle LTE for unlimited users to "protect the network", but they don't throttle LTE for users who are paying per GB.

In that case, then they are really protecting their pocketbook rather than protecting the network if they throttle someone who is paying $30 for unlimited data and use 10 GB per month and they don't throttle someone who is paying $100 for 10 GB of tiered/shared data and use 10 GB per month.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    In the areas where T-Mobile LTE is installed, it's quite impressive. Running off 5x5 in the STL metro, it's very similar to VZW's fully loaded 10x10 750 MHz channels speed wise. I really tested the T-Mobile network out for the first time yesterday and voice quality was outstanding, as well as data speeds on both 4G and LTE.

Obviously if you need LTE everywhere, it's not the best choice, but if you primarily dwell urban, it's a really solid choice.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Try aio - it is prepaid, no contract and works on at & t network so if your phone works on tmobile, it WILL likely work on at & t. You get 256 kbps speed after the high speed allotment is over (unlimited) and that's more than adequate for internet radio ( and much more, even low res video).

It is on at & t network, which is pretty good and getting better.

FYI - I do not work for at & t and currently not even a customer of at & t.

IMO, verizon is a rip off. Their LTE n/w may be good but they have sold their contract plans costing $100+/line to people without even giving them LTE phones ! Essentially, they are paying for verizon 'service' and getting a sprint service ! I stay away from verizon as a matter of principle. If they were the last provider, I'd switch to two cans and a string !
    Last edited by mvaar; 10-18-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus VZW
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As a fellow soldier, I can tell you keep VZW. When we go to other parts of the country for training, other guys in my unit have to connect to my phone's hotspot for LTE, they either have edge or no data at all with T-Mo and Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    I had tmobile a few years back and I would never go back to them no matter the savings. Simply put their coverage is grossly inadequate. They are worthless if you can't get a signal. I need a phone to work. It is a phone after all and could save you a major headache if it works when you need it. I'd advise against leaving the carrier with the best overall coverage to jump on the one with the worst coverage.
    EDIT: if you never plan on leaving the city you'll be fine with Tmobile.
    That sounds exaggerated; the phone will work but you may not get LTE or HSPA speeds everywhere. I remember the days when it was plain GSM and my cingular wireless phone worked even in wilderness areas in mountains.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m3nphls View Post
    As a fellow soldier, I can tell you keep VZW. When we go to other parts of the country for training, other guys in my unit have to connect to my phone's hotspot for LTE, they either have edge or no data at all with T-Mo and Sprint.
    First of all thank you for doing what you do to protect this country. Verizon and AT&T are simply the best 2 carriers if you travel alot but they are not perfect

Feedback Score
    I did because T-Mobile's HSPA+ is faster than Verizon's 4g in this city. And I never leave the city, so I don't' care about coverage elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    The lawsuit regarding the Open Internet Order is unrelated to the 700Mhz LTE regulations.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus VZW
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    First of all thank you for doing what you do to protect this country. Verizon and AT&T are simply the best 2 carriers if you travel alot but they are not perfect
    Thank you for your support. I never said they were perfect, I just stated since we travel a lot and compared to the other 2, I get LTE in all the places I've been... and they're really kind of in the woods area almost.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
    The lawsuit regarding the Open Internet Order is unrelated to the 700Mhz LTE regulations.
    You may be right and I genuinely hope that's so. But I'm not as sure of it as you are. We'll see soon enough.

Last edited by TC_Mits; 10-18-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m3nphls View Post
    Thank you for your support. I never said they were perfect, I just stated since we travel a lot and compared to the other 2, I get LTE in all the places I've been... and they're really kind of in the woods area almost.
    I was aircrew for the last 2 years, now fly a desk but when I was on the road all the time when we were stateside the rest of the crew would ALWAYS be on my connection since the ROMs I use always have the built in tethering. Last time I flew we stopped in Florida for fuel/cargo and I was getting 20 MBPS down so I was able to pull almost 4 gigs worth of movies in under 2 hours to watch on the flight to Germany.

And I am sticking with VZW. Last week I drove 3 hours down to the boonies of MD and literally heard someone *****ing about how they were barely getting any signal. I think it was T-Mo actually, might have been Sprint but I pulled out my Bionic and full bars of LTE. I'll pay the extra $50-$60 for that peace of mind and will continue to until they kill of unlimited if they ever do.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
    ...I'll pay the extra $50-$60 for that peace of mind and will continue to until they kill of unlimited if they ever do.

Well, hopefully Verizon doesn't see what T-Mobile's doing and decide to copy it (which as the past shows, they usually do when it benefits them): HEADS UP! T-mobile Grandfathered plans are being eliminated!
    - Chokaay

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast