Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: is there any way to get a new phone and keep the $25 plan?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    Thanks for confirming that, I appreciate it.

Have you had a chance to test wifi tethering yet? In another thread an Awe user said he was having problems. Tethering is critical to me so I am really interested in hearing verification that it works as painlessly as it does on the OV.
    So as not to get this thread any more off track, I'm posting a link in the Awe thread....

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...2#post15296002

Feedback Score
    Just to be clear, you can activate the Awe on the $25 plan and keep it?

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuman View Post
    Yes, or at least I could as of last Saturday.

When you go online to swap phones, if it is going to trigger a plan change, you will get ample warning and the chance to cancel the swap, so you won't lose anything by trying.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    No phone!
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuman View Post
    A friend of mine followed the advice here and did it, it worked out.

Of course, in another thread somewhere else there's a reference to a VM customer service conversation promising that anyone who did that would get caught sooner or later. But who knows what's really true?

Because the billing issue is not 100% clear, and there are difficulties in tethering, I decided not to do upgrade to the AWE. But I'm very conservative.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (CON-tract FREE: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/32.1528; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuman
    A friend of mine followed the advice here and did it, it worked out.

Of course, in another thread somewhere else there's a reference to a VM customer service conversation promising that anyone who did that would get caught sooner or later. But who knows what's really true?

Because the billing issue is not 100% clear, and there are difficulties in tethering, I decided not to do upgrade to the AWE. But I'm very conservative.
    It would be nice to see them bring the $25 BT plan back for 3G only phones during January 2014...

Anyone start a Facebook campaign to get their attention .... Sprint/VM is known to give subscribers what they want.... This would be a Great Opportunity for them to keep the millions of subs on their service and provide them an opportunity to upgrade their existing 3g devices. ....
    Last edited by vmobi; 12-14-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post
    It would be nice to see them bring the $25 BT plan back for 3G only phones during January 2014...

Anyone start a Facebook campaign to get their attention .... Sprint/VM is known to give subscribers what they want.... This would be a Great Opportunity for them to keep the millions of subs on their service and provide them an opportunity to upgrade their existing 3g devices. ....
    Reading the earlier posts in the thread, it appears that VM has already done this, but not announced it.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (CON-tract FREE: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/32.1528; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by Churner

Reading the earlier posts in the thread, it appears that VM has already done this, but not announced it.
    A few that have gotten through, or an actual effort to retain and grow the subscriber base???

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    A few that have gotten through, or an actual effort to retain and grow the subscriber base???
    Most people here who try to upgrade and retain the $25 plan are doing it with 4G phones and failing. The scant few who succeed are doing it with 3G handsets. Knowing how network deployment systems work, I doubt this is random or just blind luck. I'm just saying that what you were suggesting we ask for appears to already be in place... for those lucky enough to still have a $25 plan.

I imagine VM wouldn't want to reduce their ARPU with downgrades. If they roll this out for existing and new accounts, inevitably, there will be cheapskates who downgrade to 3G to get the lower rate. As much as it might bring new subs, it will also cannibalize the existing $35+ sub base.
    Last edited by Churner; 12-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Most people here who try to retain the $25 plan are doing it with 4G phones and failing. The scant few who succeed are doing it with 3G handsets. Knowing how network deployment systems work, I doubt this is random or just blind luck. I'm just saying that what you were suggesting we ask for appears to already be in place... for those lucky enough to still have a $25 plan.

I imagine VM wouldn't want to reduce their ARPU with downgrades. If they roll this out for existing and new accounts, inevitably, there will be cheapskates who downgrade to 3G to get the lower rate. As much as it might bring new subs, it will also cannibalize the existing $35+ sub base.
    Maybe this is a "hidden sale" designed to keep us around. I was really willing to ride my Elite (and a backup still in the box) until either it died or gingerbread was no longer feasible as an OS. Now, we have a heads up that a new 3g phone might support the $25 plan....so that buys me another year or so at least.

So, we have the Elite, Awe and ...the Rise? Are there any other new phones that have been supported the $25 plan?

By the way, if you do want a $25 plan, there are always some available (with a phone usually) on ebay for $100. You might have do contort yourself to get your number situation settled (eg: porting, google voice).

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Churner
    Most people here who try to retain the $25 plan are doing it with 4G phones and failing. The scant few who succeed are doing it with 3G handsets. Knowing how network deployment systems work, I doubt this is random or just blind luck. I'm just saying that what you were suggesting we ask for appears to already be in place... for those lucky enough to still have a $25 plan.

I'm not sure many would go from 4G LTE @ $30 (iPhone) to $25 3G service. Yet there are many that would opt to add a BT 3G line to their current service plans for only $25.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

I'm not sure many would go from 4G LTE @ $30 (iPhone) to $25 3G service. Yet there are many that would opt to add a BT 3G line to their current service plans for only $25.
    If you don't live in a LTE area I could see downgrading from a phone like the victory.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (CON-tract FREE: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/34.788; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi

If you don't live in a LTE area I could see downgrading from a phone like the victory.
    That's what usually happens with the affordable entry level phone crowd. Maybe Sprint will add a new affordable entry level 4G plan on VM to prevent that from happening too.
    Last edited by vmobi; 12-17-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    Maybe this is a "hidden sale" designed to keep us around. I was really willing to ride my Elite (and a backup still in the box) until either it died or gingerbread was no longer feasible as an OS. Now, we have a heads up that a new 3g phone might support the $25 plan....so that buys me another year or so at least.

So, we have the Elite, Awe and ...the Rise? Are there any other new phones that have been supported the $25 plan?

By the way, if you do want a $25 plan, there are always some available (with a phone usually) on ebay for $100. You might have do contort yourself to get your number situation settled (eg: porting, google voice).
    Every time I refill my $25 plan and use it, I am reminded of how horrendous Sprint's 3G data network is in my area. It's been upgraded here and there but most times I can't get webpages to load or pictures to upload during peak times. They are the last carrier to deploy LTE in my area and it will be well into 2014 by the time that happens.

That said, $25 on a fairly modern phone like the Awe is an amazing deal. I love me some LTE but I also love a good deal and am willing to make compromises. Also - don't bother with the Rise. I bought one last Black Friday for $29.99, and its only saving grace was the fact that I turned it in to AT&T for a $100 gift card when they were running their promo. The Awe is world's better.

My account still shows $25 due next month so I think I'm in the clear. I won't refill it for another 3 months though but it looks like my Awe is just fine on my old $25 plan.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone XR
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6 [AT&T] & iPhone 8 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Device(s)
    LG Optimus V VM670
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Has anybody successfully activated a post-May '12 3G phone on $25.00 grandfathered BeyondTalk plan?
    Just wondering if this is still working.

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Isn't that what this whole thread is about?
    LG Nexus⁴ -- OmniRom lollipop 5.1.1 -- LTE enabled
    Alcatel Idol 3 ------- Stock lollipop -- 5.0.2
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: Moto G, F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast