Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile has so much work to do. Years behind AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Exclamation T-Mobile has so much work to do. Years behind AT&T.

So I have been dying to try T-Mobile on my iPhone 5s for a while now. Finally got it unlocked and stopped at the T-Mobile store today. The manager (Erik) was a total douche. I immediately asked about their monthly 4G. Obviously, this meant no commission for him. He said I would NOT get LTE on my unlocked AT&T iphone 5s. I politely told him that the AT&T/T-Mobile iphone 5s are the exact same model. He said LTE required a different processor. I just was like, WOW, and left it at that. I get everything all setup and my iPhone 5S says "T-Mobile 4G". I then walk out the door and it now goes to LTE. I said, HEY DUDE, it gets LTE. Then he said, yea but it won't be able to take advantage of it. I said, yea to bad, a minute ago it needed a special processor. He looked really pissed and I said see ya.

Ok, that was funny, but that's not the point of my thread. The point of my thread here is to discuss the network quality of T-Mobile, preferably in Northwest, Indiana (Chicago suburb). I am driving away and the damn thing goes back and fourth from "4G" to LTE killing my battery. Ok, I get that, its a brand new technology. So I just turned it off. I was getting about 11 down on just HSPA+. So I'm sitting at the traffic light and I notice that spotify just stops. My phone still says "4G", but now I have no data connection. Now it just says, T-Mobile ****, showing 4 bars. Then I get E. I'm like WOW.

I decided to drive to the local AT&T/T-MO tower by my house. This tower is about a half a mile from my house. I always sit on 3 bars of AT&T LTE and HSPA+ in my house. Sitting in my car about 300 feet from the tower, my iPhone 5S is displaying 4 T-Mobile bars and 4G only. The speeds were averaging from about 5-11 mbps. I was getting the same speeds during a call, which is a huge step up from AT&T. So I drive down the street, about 2 years away, and now I have2 bars and the 4G is cutting in and out. Just down the street its now on EDGE. Its EDGE city all the way to my house. The EDGE is completely useless. Absolutely no data. Thankfully calls and texts can be made.

So, I still have a full month with their unlimited everything prepaid plan. I always knew the area in which I live kinda sucked, I just didn't think it was this bad. The iPhone 5S supports AWS HSPA+, which even seemed spotty. I will still test T-Mobile's network out at school and other places, but boy am I ever glad that I did prepaid before porting any numbers over.

AT&T is evil. AT&T locks their Android boot loaders and now is forcing all customers to their over priced mobile share data plans. I tried to escape them, but its just not possible right now. T-Mobile cannot provide a consistent experience in a very populated Chicago suburb. It's kind of sad. I wish they would completely abandon the AWS frequencies and they are just awful. The overall signal is just so weak, even with the tower in sight.

So spending $80 today actually saved me a big headache because I was going to port to T-Mobile in the near future. I just can't get over how inconsistent their network is. Don't get me wrong though, its amazing when it works. The HSPA+ is much faster than AT&T and has lower latencies. However, the LTE needs a lot of work. The LTE was no faster than the H+. I average about 40-60mbps down on AT&T's LTE network.

Just my thoughts. Maybe someone will think twice who is considering T-Mobile in Lake County, Indiana.

Cheers

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    There are many threads including mine on here that says the same thing: Tmo signal sucks!
    Best bet with an iPhone is gophone, Aio, and straight talk in that order to get lte.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just with all their bragging this year, "Nationwide 4G" "UnCarrier babble" I thought they'd be better. The AWS signal just needs several sites to maintain a stable signal. They need more antennas on the towers and they need to run it at full blast and take EDGE down. Make HSPA+ the fallback to LTE, not EDGE.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    So I drive down the street, about 2 years away.......cool trick, nice to know that T-mobile still sucks even in the future.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger32 View Post
    So I drive down the street, about 2 years away.......cool trick, nice to know that T-mobile still sucks even in the future.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I thought 2 years ago that by the end of 2013, T-Mobile would be really good. They are the same carrier.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    I thought 2 years ago that by the end of 2013, T-Mobile would be really good. They are the same carrier.
    It didn't work out for you, you've tried it, move on.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It just shocking that I could clearly see the tower and my service was spotty, as if thats the only 4G capable tower. Quite disappointing that some of us are getting f***** in the *** each month by AT&T's prices. But its nice to have consistent service everywhere.

If only T-Mobile used 850/1900 bands like AT&T.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It just shocking that I could clearly see the tower and my service was spotty, as if thats the only 4G capable tower. Quite disappointing that some of us are getting f***** in the *** each month by AT&T's prices. But its nice to have consistent service everywhere.

If only T-Mobile used 850/1900 bands like AT&T.
    Yup I can see why you're angry about it and I agree. T-Mobile is a great performing alternative in dense urban areas as their average data rates tend to be much higher and more solid than AT&T's or Verizon's. But if you're not within the desired area, it could be frustrating.

Feedback Score
    Hardly the same carrier. The speeds I get more completely dwarf what I was getting two years ago. The improvement has been fantastic!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Hardly the same carrier. The speeds I get more completely dwarf what I was getting two years ago. The improvement has been fantastic!
    I'm in the Chicago land area, a major market. A market that they claim is fully covered in LTE, yet HSPA+ is spotty. If I was out in the sticks, I would not expect 4G. T-Mobile's problem is the bands they use (AWS). These can't penetrate hardly anything and the signal fades very quickly. With AT&T, I can't go anywhere and loose LTE outside. Well, unless I go way out to the sticks, then its only H+.

Feedback Score
    I couldn't survive a month of t-mobile poor data and poor voice, poor signal penetration into buildings, went back to Verizon where I only have to worry about cost. Bottom line if you can afford to miss your voice calls and don't care about data speed, like have Wi-Fi wherever you go, t-mobile is then a viable option. Area I used northwest Chicago suburbs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Badrsj View Post
    I couldn't survive a month of t-mobile poor data and poor voice, poor signal penetration into buildings, went back to Verizon where I only have to worry about cost. Bottom line if you can afford to miss your voice calls and don't care about data speed, like have Wi-Fi wherever you go, t-mobile is then a viable option. Area I used northwest Chicago suburbs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Well it only cost me $80 for a month of pre-paid. I'm looking at it as, a future headache saved. If I would have just ported my number over without trying them first, I would have so regretted it. I don't understand why the EDGE signal over powers everything. On AT&T, the HSPA+ signal seems to be the strongest. But unless your in a basement, the 700mhz, band 17 will give you a very stable LTE signal on AT&T.

EDIT: I am by no means saying T-Mobile is a bad carrier. They work well for millions of customers. That is great. Even in large cities, I can't see their signal penetrating far into buildings. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to deploy these services on such weak frequencies.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When all you have is AWS and PCS, you don't have much choice.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    When all you have is AWS and PCS, you don't have much choice.
    I know. ): AT&T uses AWS for LTE, but also uses band 17 (700). T-Mobile needs to do something like that for good service. All 3 major carriers have some low frequencies. Why did T-Mobile get left out?

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I have been dying to try T-Mobile on my iPhone 5s for a while now. Finally got it unlocked and stopped at the T-Mobile store today. The manager (Erik) was a total douche. I immediately asked about their monthly 4G. Obviously, this meant no commission for him. He said I would NOT get LTE on my unlocked AT&T iphone 5s. I politely told him that the AT&T/T-Mobile iphone 5s are the exact same model. He said LTE required a different processor. I just was like, WOW, and left it at that. I get everything all setup and my iPhone 5S says "T-Mobile 4G". I then walk out the door and it now goes to LTE. I said, HEY DUDE, it gets LTE. Then he said, yea but it won't be able to take advantage of it. I said, yea to bad, a minute ago it needed a special processor. He looked really pissed and I said see ya.

Ok, that was funny, but that's not the point of my thread. The point of my thread here is to discuss the network quality of T-Mobile, preferably in Northwest, Indiana (Chicago suburb). I am driving away and the damn thing goes back and fourth from "4G" to LTE killing my battery. Ok, I get that, its a brand new technology. So I just turned it off. I was getting about 11 down on just HSPA+. So I'm sitting at the traffic light and I notice that spotify just stops. My phone still says "4G", but now I have no data connection. Now it just says, T-Mobile ****, showing 4 bars. Then I get E. I'm like WOW.

I decided to drive to the local AT&T/T-MO tower by my house. This tower is about a half a mile from my house. I always sit on 3 bars of AT&T LTE and HSPA+ in my house. Sitting in my car about 300 feet from the tower, my iPhone 5S is displaying 4 T-Mobile bars and 4G only. The speeds were averaging from about 5-11 mbps. I was getting the same speeds during a call, which is a huge step up from AT&T. So I drive down the street, about 2 years away, and now I have2 bars and the 4G is cutting in and out. Just down the street its now on EDGE. Its EDGE city all the way to my house. The EDGE is completely useless. Absolutely no data. Thankfully calls and texts can be made.

So, I still have a full month with their unlimited everything prepaid plan. I always knew the area in which I live kinda sucked, I just didn't think it was this bad. The iPhone 5S supports AWS HSPA+, which even seemed spotty. I will still test T-Mobile's network out at school and other places, but boy am I ever glad that I did prepaid before porting any numbers over.

AT&T is evil. AT&T locks their Android boot loaders and now is forcing all customers to their over priced mobile share data plans. I tried to escape them, but its just not possible right now. T-Mobile cannot provide a consistent experience in a very populated Chicago suburb. It's kind of sad. I wish they would completely abandon the AWS frequencies and they are just awful. The overall signal is just so weak, even with the tower in sight.

So spending $80 today actually saved me a big headache because I was going to port to T-Mobile in the near future. I just can't get over how inconsistent their network is. Don't get me wrong though, its amazing when it works. The HSPA+ is much faster than AT&T and has lower latencies. However, the LTE needs a lot of work. The LTE was no faster than the H+. I average about 40-60mbps down on AT&T's LTE network.

Just my thoughts. Maybe someone will think twice who is considering T-Mobile in Lake County, Indiana.

Cheers
    I am in Lake County Indiana. It is a patchwork of towers that don't cover anything completely. Their coverage here is beyond bizarre. They have 4g in fields that have horses and nothing and neighborhoods with hundreds of people have edge or G. Looking at the map here shows towers that have lots of "satisfactory" signal between them (which is real speak for unusable). By my house, it sucks bad. In Chicago, where I work, is fantastic. Far Northside, not so great. They need to really fill in the gaps and holes in their coverage.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast