Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile has so much work to do. Years behind AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    Same here on the fringe of NYC and Philadelphia as the thread starter observations, Edge only even in the more suburban areas and metro areas theres fall back to HSPA+ and some dropped calls will say one thing in the most urbanized areas the coverage works as advertised.. YET again this is an urban carrier not for suburbs or rural areas just unreliable Edge and still swiss cheesy. The city folks a good buy

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    I am in Lake County Indiana. It is a patchwork of towers that don't cover anything completely. Their coverage here is beyond bizarre. They have 4g in fields that have horses and nothing and neighborhoods with hundreds of people have edge or G. Looking at the map here shows towers that have lots of "satisfactory" signal between them (which is real speak for unusable). By my house, it sucks bad. In Chicago, where I work, is fantastic. Far Northside, not so great. They need to really fill in the gaps and holes in their coverage.
    The answer to filling in the gaps and holes is AT&T. We all hate them, but I see why they cost more now. Out here, they blow every other carrier away. I know AT&T uses 850 out here for 3G and 700 for LTE. Because of that, my signal is always stable.

If T-Mobile hasn't done it yet, I don't think they are will. Only way possible would be to ditch EDGE all together and move AWS to 1900 PCS for calls, and acquire some lower bandwidth for LTE. Time will tell.

T-Mobile coverage map for my school:

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 AndroidOne | Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    My understanding is that both Verizon & ATT are so entrenched with licenses on the 850MHz frequencies that the other national carriers are squeezed out. And they've both dominated the auctions for 700MHz frequencies as well. These lower frequencies tend to propagate through structures more readily than say PCS (1900MHz) and AWS (1700/2100MHz), which happen to be the predominant spectrum holdings for Sprint and T-Mobile respectively.

Sprint's Network Vision plan involves converting legacy Nextel 800MHz spectrum. Time will tell if Softbank acquisition will infuse enough capital for a comprehensive buildout...

OTOH, the only possible available low frequency spectrum for T-Mobile will be from the upcoming 600MHz auction. Which is why some parties want stipulations in place to prevent dominant 700MHz spectrum holders from bidding on too much of the upcoming 600MHz spectrum auction.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my Android device using HowardForums. Glad to be contract-free since 2010...
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: HTC "10" (VZW) | Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Feedback Score
    AT&T is evil.
    And that sums it up. Nothing would make me do business with AT&T ever again.

The world is what the world is. It's a compromise. We have to make choices, because we can't have everything. And my choice is to have no data rather than pay AT&T a single dollar.

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    Rotten to the core they don't give a S about the business customers either. ......
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    And that sums it up. Nothing would make me do business with AT&T ever again.

The world is what the world is. It's a compromise. We have to make choices, because we can't have everything. And my choice is to have no data rather than pay AT&T a single dollar.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am in the North Houston area and find that T-Mobile actually works better for me than AT&T. From what I can tell, AT&T has deployed little to no 700 Mhz in my area as I had worse in building coverage than with T-Mobile (which isn't great). In the area that I live, I typically have 2-3 bars with AT&T and have 4-5 bars with T-Mobile.

What I've found is you have to basically do what the OP did, you have to see what carriers work best for you in the areas you need your phone.

Carrier(s)
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile has so much work to do. Years behind AT&T.

If you don't want to pay AT&T directly because of high price just go to Straight Talk ..unlimited talk/text and 2.5GB of high speed data and back down to 2G speed if you go over.

Just go to straighttalksim.com and buy the sim and choose AT&T.

They offer LTE access now..so really for $45/month it can't be beat.

Sadly though AT&T has not deployed LTE in Michigan City, IN area or the surrounding towns.. (Northwest IN)

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    So I have been dying to try T-Mobile on my iPhone 5s for a while now. Finally got it unlocked and stopped at the T-Mobile store today. The manager (Erik) was a total douche. I immediately asked about their monthly 4G. Obviously, this meant no commission for him. He said I would NOT get LTE on my unlocked AT&T iphone 5s. I politely told him that the AT&T/T-Mobile iphone 5s are the exact same model. He said LTE required a different processor. I just was like, WOW, and left it at that. I get everything all setup and my iPhone 5S says "T-Mobile 4G". I then walk out the door and it now goes to LTE. I said, HEY DUDE, it gets LTE. Then he said, yea but it won't be able to take advantage of it. I said, yea to bad, a minute ago it needed a special processor. He looked really pissed and I said see ya.

Ok, that was funny, but that's not the point of my thread. The point of my thread here is to discuss the network quality of T-Mobile, preferably in Northwest, Indiana (Chicago suburb). I am driving away and the damn thing goes back and fourth from "4G" to LTE killing my battery. Ok, I get that, its a brand new technology. So I just turned it off. I was getting about 11 down on just HSPA+. So I'm sitting at the traffic light and I notice that spotify just stops. My phone still says "4G", but now I have no data connection. Now it just says, T-Mobile ****, showing 4 bars. Then I get E. I'm like WOW.

I decided to drive to the local AT&T/T-MO tower by my house. This tower is about a half a mile from my house. I always sit on 3 bars of AT&T LTE and HSPA+ in my house. Sitting in my car about 300 feet from the tower, my iPhone 5S is displaying 4 T-Mobile bars and 4G only. The speeds were averaging from about 5-11 mbps. I was getting the same speeds during a call, which is a huge step up from AT&T. So I drive down the street, about 2 years away, and now I have2 bars and the 4G is cutting in and out. Just down the street its now on EDGE. Its EDGE city all the way to my house. The EDGE is completely useless. Absolutely no data. Thankfully calls and texts can be made.

So, I still have a full month with their unlimited everything prepaid plan. I always knew the area in which I live kinda sucked, I just didn't think it was this bad. The iPhone 5S supports AWS HSPA+, which even seemed spotty. I will still test T-Mobile's network out at school and other places, but boy am I ever glad that I did prepaid before porting any numbers over.

AT&T is evil. AT&T locks their Android boot loaders and now is forcing all customers to their over priced mobile share data plans. I tried to escape them, but its just not possible right now. T-Mobile cannot provide a consistent experience in a very populated Chicago suburb. It's kind of sad. I wish they would completely abandon the AWS frequencies and they are just awful. The overall signal is just so weak, even with the tower in sight.

So spending $80 today actually saved me a big headache because I was going to port to T-Mobile in the near future. I just can't get over how inconsistent their network is. Don't get me wrong though, its amazing when it works. The HSPA+ is much faster than AT&T and has lower latencies. However, the LTE needs a lot of work. The LTE was no faster than the H+. I average about 40-60mbps down on AT&T's LTE network.

Just my thoughts. Maybe someone will think twice who is considering T-Mobile in Lake County, Indiana.

Cheers
    Great. Have fun wasting money in throttled down speed. Glad T-Mobile works well in southern California.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Great. Have fun wasting money in throttled down speed. Glad T-Mobile works well in southern California.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    SoCal is not too shabby indeed. I cannot wait until we see integration of MetroPCS DAS buildout around the area. I presume it will fix some signal propagation problems in certain areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    A lot of what AT&T does to gain coverage, is how they are are called evil.

Fact is all carriers are evil to an extent. Otherwise they would go out of business.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    SoCal is not too shabby indeed. I cannot wait until we see integration of MetroPCS DAS buildout around the area. I presume it will fix some signal propagation problems in certain areas.
    Yes, this is exactly what excites me going forward.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Feedback Score
    All I can say is not in my area lol

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice!

Especially with the new World Data plans with texting included (!) and 20 cents/minute calling (!!!)...

I can just imagine how nice that would be for popping down to TJ on a weekend or for when I go to Europe....but, I am displeased with their network as it is now. I *need* to be able to have voice/text/basic data in buildings!

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice!

Especially with the new World Data plans with texting included (!) and 20 cents/minute calling (!!!)...

I can just imagine how nice that would be for popping down to TJ on a weekend or for when I go to Europe....but, I am displeased with their network as it is now. I *need* to be able to have voice/text/basic data in buildings!
    Ive been in buildings in los Angeles and had at least EDGE data in big buildings, not the SOS you mentioned. I guess if you need service deep in parking structures or bunkers: and no wifi: and willing to pay $50/1 measly GB; T-Mobile would not be ideal.

To each their own I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Ive been in buildings in los Angeles and had at least EDGE data in big buildings, not the SOS you mentioned. I guess if you need service deep in parking structures or bunkers: and no wifi: and willing to pay $50/1 measly GB; T-Mobile would not be ideal.

To each their own I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Or just pay $55/mo for unlimited talk/text and data with 2GB at high speed with AIO and use AT&T's network...

I do use Verizon though.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast