Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: AT&T LTE in PCS by the end of 2013!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T LTE in PCS by the end of 2013!

Can't believe that no tech sites covered this, but according to William Hogg, Senior Vice President of Network Planning and Engineering, AT&T Services, Inc., AT&T is in the process of deploying PCS spectrum for LTE service, and will begin commercial LTE service in that band in the initial markets (e.g., Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Dallas, Philadelphia, New York City and San Francisco) by the end of this year.

DECLARATION OF WILLIAM HOGG: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/a...Ind=applAttach

This is absolutely wonderful news, but it would also mean that in some of these markets they are refarming some of their UMTS voice/data capacity in the PCS spectrum. I'm assuming 5Mhz FDD LTE will be the initial push, which could be widened in the future to 10Mhz LTE, and easily used as component carrier in their future LTE-Advanced deployment (Release 11). The real key here is to carefully avoid degradation within essential services like voice.

Use this thread to discuss and report LTE activity in the PCS band in your area.
    Last edited by milan03; 10-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    AT&T has 50 mHz of pcs and 25 mHz cellular spectrum in my market.

Edit: With conflicting stories from the tower dogs, it looks like the first answer of re banding of spectrum for LTE was correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $80.99/month

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Good news for me, but ATT and "deadline" don't belong in the same sentence. And mentioning " carefully avoid degradation" is just lunacy from a lunatic company!

To be sure, Verizon drew this statement out!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    To be sure, Verizon drew this statement out!
    Thankfully not since Verizon Wireless will be doing the same thing in 2015. But you'll never know, they just might do it earlier to beat AT&T to the punch. I would like to see Sprint follow AT&T and Verizon Wireless in reframing Band 2 for LTE.

In any case, I suspect that AT&T maxed out with Band 4 and is looking somewhere else to expand their LTE capacity.

Feedback Score
    It seems to me after reading that thing in entirety AT&T is gaining Leap AWS and PCS spectrum. AWS to be combined with AT&T AWS to create a 10x10 channel in certain markets and AT&T has the ultimate flexibility in PCS spectrum to add to AT&T UMTS/HSPA+ or use the extra Leap spectrum for a 5x5 LTE block.

I REALLY hope AT&T keeps or at minimum in urban/rural areas has the SAME capacity of UMTS/HSPA+ running because as you know AT&T needs it for voice capacity and roamers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If anyone is interested, in NYC they've freed up 10Mhz of E block where GSM used to be. They're still running 2 W-CDMA carriers for voice and data in PCS A block. So I'm almost certain AT&T will add 5Mhz FDD LTE in the E PCS block in NYC by the end of this year.

In CLR band, they also have 2 W-CDMA carriers for voice/data in CLR A block, that's a total of 4. Now their GSM/EDGE is in High CLR 3Mhz slice, but also wrapped inside of their W-CDMA carrier guard bands.

So even though AT&T has 3Mhz dedicated for GSM in NYC in the CLR band, we can still connect to small slices out of W-CDMA guard bands and make voice calls. According to my ServiceMode screenshots, the first and the second one center frequencies are corresponding to W-CDMA guard bands, and only the third screenshot is out of that dedicated GSM high A slice.

This is especially bad for M2M business using AT&T GSM services, but at the same time, I'm not sure how active their M2M business is at the moment.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing this Milan! This is good news to see this is stuff in progress. The link you shared also states that AT&T will have HSPA+ coverage to 300 million Americans by the end of this year too. Glad those 2G only areas are getting smaller and smaller.

A few months back in an official document put out by AT&T they claim to beworking with any potentially affected M2M operators still on legacy 2G systems and getting them upgraded to at least 3G. 2G should be officially sunsetted as a whole in 3 years but many areas are supposedly going to be shut down much sooner.
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 10-19-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Thankfully not since Verizon Wireless will be doing the same thing in 2015. But you'll never know, they just might do it earlier to beat AT&T to the punch. I would like to see Sprint follow AT&T and Verizon Wireless in reframing Band 2 for LTE.

In any case, I suspect that AT&T maxed out with Band 4 and is looking somewhere else to expand their LTE capacity.
    Cticket, is in the bag....maybe, don't they have a boatload to be had? Looks like AIO is doomed because of that deal.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We are a former Edge Wireless market in RSA 344, so they only have 1900 here (plus the 700 and AWS of course), the cellular is owned by U.S. Cellular and Verizon. We don't have LTE from AT&T yet, they're HSPA+ w/EB in our area. Once AT&T does get LTE here, I'll have to check if they are doing it on 700 or 1900. Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Metro PCS all have LTE here.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    We are a former Edge Wireless market in RSA 344, so they only have 1900 here (plus the 700 and AWS of course), the cellular is owned by U.S. Cellular and Verizon. We don't have LTE from AT&T yet, they're HSPA+ w/EB in our area. Once AT&T does get LTE here, I'll have to check if they are doing it on 700 or 1900. Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Metro PCS all have LTE here.
    Bingo, there you go, you hadn't posted this incessant litany of RSA 344 in quite a while, I thought you might have had a stroke or something. lol Every new thread simply MUST have this listing in it within the first page or two.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    AT&T has 50 mHz of pcs and 25 mHz cellular spectrum in my market.
    Edit: With conflicting stories from the tower dogs, it looks like the first answer of re banding of spectrum for LTE was correct.
    Did anyone say how widespread the PCS refarming is? Is it just the immediate Temple (and I would assume Killeen/Belton) area, or does it spread out? LTE in the portion of the old TX-10 area west of I45 would be nice, but they still don't have their PCS HSPA+ network fully up to speed, yet.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTraveler View Post
    Did anyone say how widespread the PCS refarming is? Is it just the immediate Temple (and I would assume Killeen/Belton) area, or does it spread out? LTE in the portion of the old TX-10 area west of I45 would be nice, but they still don't have their PCS HSPA+ network fully up to speed, yet.
    I didn't ask how large of an area they are doing work but if I see them again I will check. Unfortunately my sgs3 doesn't support pcs LTE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Milan, do you have any information on Philadelphia? Thanks.

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    Milan, do you have any information on Philadelphia? Thanks.

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk
    As far as specific sites I don't, but according to the declaration they're rolling out PCS LTE in Philly this year.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast