Thread: Senior-friendly feature phones for Pay As You Go?

Feedback Score

Senior-friendly feature phones for Pay As You Go?

I'm looking for basic, easy-to-use phones for my parents, preferably without any web access or fancy features. Most important would be good volume, easy-access volume control, ringtones for various hearing ranges, flip open to answer (or at least one-touch answer), and easy speed dialing.

Many current feature phones have a "multi-function" button in the middle of the keypad, which tends to be confusing for my folks, so phones with dedicated function buttons are a plus.

In T-Mobile's own line, I've noticed the Samsung T139 and the T-Mobile 665. Any feedback from folks who have experience with them would be appreciated. (Not interested in the Sparq.)

I'm considering unlocked phones as well, as long as they can be used with a Pay-As-You-Go sim.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You may want to check out....

http://www.greatcall.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bepele View Post
    I'm looking for basic, easy-to-use phones for my parents, preferably without any web access or fancy features. Most important would be good volume, easy-access volume control, ringtones for various hearing ranges, flip open to answer (or at least one-touch answer), and easy speed dialing.

Many current feature phones have a "multi-function" button in the middle of the keypad, which tends to be confusing for my folks, so phones with dedicated function buttons are a plus.

In T-Mobile's own line, I've noticed the Samsung T139 and the T-Mobile 665. Any feedback from folks who have experience with them would be appreciated. (Not interested in the Sparq.)

I'm considering unlocked phones as well, as long as they can be used with a Pay-As-You-Go sim.

Thanks for your recommendations.
    I like the Classic Nokia 6010 from 2004. Nearly 10 years later, it is still a solid phone's phone. For texting and talking, it is great. Simple. Clean. Easy to use. Reliable. cheap (Ebay, unlocked ones are around $15) . Still widely available. Rugged and tough. My 80 year old dad has one and he's hard of hearing but no problem with that phone. At one point, I kept a bunch of them around so when one finally died on him, I'd just swap out the sim. And unlike today's smartphones (especially Androids) , a phone like this is timeless. It will never be obsolete at the rate it's holding up. lol

Feedback Score
    I have to second the Nokia 6010 as it's been a great phone for us for almost 10 years now. We bought one when it first came out and we still have it. It's now regulated to our spare/back up cell phone but it still works and works great. I used it for 8 years then my wife has had it since. It is just a plain old great workhorse for talking. Great call quality. Durable as can be as this one has been dropped many times but keeps on going. Still has the original battery and sim card in it. You cannot go wrong with a Nokia 6010 especially for older people. The only issue may be the size of the screen but other than that it's still a great talking phone. We will never give ours up.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The 6010 is actually a bad idea on ATT. It has no 3g capability. There are many areas that are 3g only and ATT is beginning to refarm and shut down its gsm network with a total sunset date of 2015.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure what T mobiles plans are for their native gsm service, you may be good many years with them for gsm only.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Motorola v195s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In terms of durability and ease of answering a call, the old flip phones are the best choice. However, one area that Android and Windows Phone does better is easy speed dial. For easy speed dial, add contacts to the home screen. If the profile has a face photo, the photo will show on the home screen. From there, just teach your parents to touch the face of the person they want to call. This way, they don't have to fiddle with a menu like on the T139 or 665.

The drawback for an Android or Windows Phone is having to teach your parents how to turn on a phone and unlock the screen, and how to answer a call. Once learned and repeated, it won't feel complicated.

A Windows Phone has another drawback in that if your parents need to call 911 in an emergency, besides turning on the phone, it requires 2 clicks to bring up the dial pad. First, click on the phone icon, then click on another small icon to bring up the dial pad. Android phones only requires 1 click of the phone icon to bring up the dial pad.

In terms of battery life for a smartphone, I have a Nokia Lumia 521 that has been on standby for 10 days with 24% battery life remaining. Disable everything except for cellular gsm. I am tempted to get a LG Optimus F3 to test out its claim of 31 days of standby time.

edit: My old Motorola v195 had voice dial. Once set up, all I had to do was click on a short cut, then speak the name of a contact to call. Of course, smartphones have this ability, too.

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 AndroidOne | Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    Off the top of my head, here are a few "senior-friendly" (read simplified) phone choices:
    - Snapfon EZ Two (unlocked)
    - Just5 J510 (unlocked)
    - Doro PhoneEasy 410 (may need unlock from Consumer Cellular)
    - Alcatel Big Easy (Tracfone only)

If 3G capability is needed, these handsets are in the flip phone factor but may be too menu-heavy for the OP:
    - Pantech Breeze III (3G capable for 850/1900 MHz, would need unlock from AT&T)
    - Alcatel 768 (3G capable for 850/1900/AWS/2100 MHz, would need unlock from T-Mobile or MetroPCS)

Hope this helps...

Sent from my Android device using HowardForums. Glad to be contract-free since 2010...
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: HTC "10" (VZW) | Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000