Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When the musics over

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

When the musics over

At 1:25 AM June 30th they pulled the switch, and Nextel was shut down for ever.

I guess video did kill the radio star.

Video being LTE or even 3G handsets capable of streaming video to screen and the radio star being iDen handsets capable of push to talk.
    These Motorola iDen handsets truly were Radio Stars back in their day. I can remember figuring out the protocol and serial cabling required to use my i90 to connect my laptop to the internet from a hotel room outside of Baltimore back in 2002. (That was at a blazing 17.2k but a mobile phone internet connection none the less. Tethering over 10 years ago. )

A Nextel i500 and then an i1000 plus < (The first I could receive internet links through text alerts) were my first cell phones and I learned of their possibilities on HowardForums from a small group of enthusiasts who were called the IC. This group was also responsible for hacking together the first reverse and socially engineered ring tone, wall paper and games loader available. A publicly available loader was a first for just about any phone on the market in the day and they provided it free right here on this forum.

When the i95cl dropped it was the first color screen phone available in the states and members began to bling them out with LEDs and custom cases available from a small Manhattan (later Brooklyn) Nextel dealer who was also a member of this forum. A sub forum was created to not just show off Monk, Jimmy and the crews creations but other members as well that were now part of nationwide hardware modding movement that they started.

When Boost offered a contract free version it was forum members who figured out how to unlock them and as a result, many more members were able get into the game.
    To keep up with it all, Howard and the earlier mods, L Bo, Lgreenberg and Darth Pooh created the first HowardForums sub forums to handle all the software and hardware modding traffic. Because many in this new community of Howards became friends and used the forums as their first Social Network, a separate lounge was created for their off topic discussions.
    At one point I believe that the traffic on the Nextel forms exceeded all of Howards other forums combined. Along with this increased traffic and social interaction came some drama as well. As a result, what I believe may be the longest, continuous running thread on HoFo was created by L Bo for flaming.

Now, Nextel, Et Al, is just a sub forum of Sprint

Ah, good times.

When they music is over
    turn out the lights.

There is a discussion amongst the moderators about depreciating (closing) this old forum in about two weeks.
    Please post any thoughts you may have about the proposed Nextel Forum closing in this thread. Memories are also welcome.

To all the many friends I have made in these forums over the years and to Howard his own self
    Thank You!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately I joined at the height of Nextel's, and this forums popularity, so I didn't get to witness the rise of it like others did. And even though I never made it to any of the meet ups, there are definitely a lot f memories left in here.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (but not for long)
    Feedback Score
    Remember that many of the newer Nextel phones have considerable value for their off-network Walkie-Talkie feature called Direct Talk (sometimes also called MotoTalk). These units are 900 Mhz Spread Spectrum Digital Walkie-Talkies that work regardless of whether there is a backbone network. Comparable units from Motorola (called the DTR Series) costs $300 each, but you can easily find Nextel i576s that have the same technology for $50.00 each.
    Make HowardForums a better place:
    Don't respond to users who post insults and personal attacks.
    Instead, block them:
    (click on their username, click "view profile", and click "add to ignore list")

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    Remember that many of the newer Nextel phones have considerable value for their off-network Walkie-Talkie feature called Direct Talk (sometimes also called MotoTalk). These units are 900 Mhz Spread Spectrum Digital Walkie-Talkies that work regardless of whether there is a backbone network. Comparable units from Motorola (called the DTR Series) costs $300 each, but you can easily find Nextel i576s that have the same technology for $50.00 each.
    Indeed, we use our old i580 flip phone and i365 (with rubber-ducky antenna) for Direct Talk use around the homestead. It's pretty good. We have both phones in "private mode", have found that in our suburban neighborhood they're good for approx. 1/4 mile range (lots of mature trees, a mix of 1-story homes, 2-story apartment buildings and a few 2-story office/retail buildings).

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I also joined late into the game, but I remember some of it. My first "real" cellphone was an i1000+ redesign. I paid so much money for it, at least $199 IIRC. That was way back in the day. I upgraded to an i90c, and found HoFo to see if I could load my own ringtones. I found the information, and liked it so much, that I stayed. Rocked the i90c for a while, met a guy from the forum who lived 2 minutes away, and he did a full housing swap for me from parts that I sourced from all over the place. I turned my basic i90c into a black and silver Raiders edition, one of one. I then got my hands on a silver i1000+ that was part of the buddy pack from Circuit City. That was a real gem. Had to take it into the Nextel service center for the flip to be fixed, and rocked that for a while. My buddy at work had the original i1000, and then managed to score a Burlwood i1000, and we went old school for a long time.

I have to say, scrolling through threads of .mid ringtones, looking for that special one....the fun, the jokes, the learning.....thank you to everyone who made this place what it is today.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    ... I have to say, scrolling through threads of .mid ringtones, looking for that special one....the fun, the jokes, the learning.....thank you to everyone who made this place what it is today.

Device(s)
    Sprint HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Na na na na......
    na na na na......
    heeeey heeeey heeeey....
    gooood byyyyyye.

I was old school before being old school was cool.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (but not for long)
    Feedback Score
    And unlike the FRS units that you can buy at Costco, there's never anyone else on your channel!

Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    Indeed, we use our old i580 flip phone and i365 (with rubber-ducky antenna) for Direct Talk use around the homestead. It's pretty good. We have both phones in "private mode", have found that in our suburban neighborhood they're good for approx. 1/4 mile range (lots of mature trees, a mix of 1-story homes, 2-story apartment buildings and a few 2-story office/retail buildings).

Feedback Score
    If they close this particular sub-forum, will they move the archives somewhere else?

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    If they close this particular sub-forum, will they move the archives somewhere else?
    Howard rarely throws anything out...
    ... he's even kept L Bo around

I imagine the posts will always be searchable, you just won't be able to post. Kind of like a locked thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    And unlike the FRS units that you can buy at Costco, there's never anyone else on your channel!
    Yeah, I sure do miss the simple, straightforward, bulletproof, professional-grade, ultra-efficient, easy-to-use system that Motorola & Nextel developed over the years. Of course now that Nextel has been dismantled and Motorola got slurped up by Google, there is no way back...the modern telecom equivalent of Cortez burning his ships.

Seriously, although smartphones do have their uses, I would gladly trade, in less than one microsecond, our Sprint CDMA Kyocera Torque Android phones for our good old i365 phones running on iDEN. I miss Moto & Nextel so bad, I'd pay full price for new i365s ;-) Yep, that'd by my first-choice solution, i365s (or i580s) on iDEN for voice & PTT, with iPads (or other tablet, be it Apple or Microsoft) running on WiFi for data.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    I don't get why the great minds in wireless can't develop a good PTToLTE standard.

What I've seen from Kodiak and Qualcomm, to put it frankly, kind of sucks.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    I don't get why the great minds in wireless can't develop a good PTToLTE standard.

What I've seen from Kodiak and Qualcomm, to put it frankly, kind of sucks.
    I've not experienced any PTT over LTE, but when I tried AT&T's "enhanced PTT" ("EPTT") around 8 months ago, their GSM-based EPTT was dismal.

I have to say, though, that since we turned off the Sprint Connections Optimizer on our Kyocera Torques, the Sprint Direct Connect works much, much better than when Connections Optimizer is left on. When strong 3G is available (i.e. both signal & data speed are good), SDC works very well, IMO I'd give it an 8 or 9 on a scale of 10 (where iDEN was a 10). Of course on 1X CDMA, SDC is bad. But on EVDO-A, with Connection Optimizer off, thus forcing the phones to stay locked on 3G instead of connecting to WiFi, SDC works pretty darn well. The real problem with SDC is consistency. BTW, we put the Android "Power Control" widget at the top of our homescreens, so we can very quickly & easily turn WiFi on when we need to do data, then turn WiFi off so 3G kicks back in.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Will Sprint Direct Connect ultimately be put on 800MHz LTE? or 800 and 1900? How much actual capacity is used for DC?

Device(s)
    I355
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    I would like to see the forum stay open. I like to check back. People might still want to talk about iden hardware. Southernlink still sells iden phones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast