Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint to Block High End Smartphones from Sprint MVNOs

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Except it is not just "High End" phones that have been black listed, as it appears to be any device that is less than 12 months old. Surly the F3 and the Hydro are not considered "high end", which makes a bad decision worse.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    PS: The list is of Sprint Mothership devices, I think the cat is out of the bag on the Google N5 and this device will continued to be allowed, albeit with issues due to Sprint NV roll out. I guess we shall see though.
    Unfortunately, N5s that were previously activated on Ringplus (one for one week, the other for just one day) just got booted off in the last hour. I can neither make a call (errors out with error 16) nor get data on either line.

Amazing PR job, Sprint: allow a phone (fully paid up; no carrier subsidy) on your network and then kick it off AFTER you have allowed it to be registered/activated. Poor Sprint-based MVNOs, to base their business models on a network which can make such shoddy business decisions!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Unfortunately, N5s that were previously activated on Ringplus (one for one week, the other for just one day) just got booted off in the last hour. I can neither make a call (errors out with error 16) nor get data on either line.

Amazing PR job, Sprint: allow a phone (fully paid up; no carrier subsidy) on your network and then kick it off AFTER you have allowed it to be registered/activated. Poor Sprint-based MVNOs, to base their business models on a network which can make such shoddy business decisions!
    That is most likely a technical issue as RP and/or Sprint have been having service outages today. Do the phones say active on your dashboard? Besides Google devices are not affected by the Blacklist and I don't believe there are any Sprint versions out yet and if there are, they are supposed to be grandfathered as are the other listed on the black list.

Feedback Score
    That is most likely a technical issue as RP and/or Sprint have been having service outages today. Do the phones say active on your dashboard? Besides Google devices are not affected by the Blacklist and I don't believe there are any Sprint versions out yet and if there are, they are supposed to be grandfathered as are the other listed on the black list.
    So if I say buy the Nexus 5 from Bestbuy with the sprint sim card, can I activate it with Ringplus? Or is this for all Nexus 5's activated before Sprint's new "blacklist"?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    This is just a silly thing for Sprint to do; I always wondered how that company survived its bad business decisions (the iPhone purchase commitment being just a silly one, compounded by Sprint's unwillingness to unlock its iPhones (which would have enabled it to broaden the base against which it could meet its iPhone purchase commitment).

I would have been ok with this decision to not allow high end smartphones on Sprint MVNOs if Sprint had just announced this from the beginning, and kept its MVNOs from competing with Sprint's high end phone offerings; the ex post approach to Sprint business decisionmaking is just looking uninspiring.

On a side note, I wonder how Sprint's decision will affect the resale value of my two Nexus 5s that are already activated (fully working LTE data) on existing Sprint MVNO (one on free BYOSD plan, one on inexpensive BYOSD International plan).
    Again, according to Ting, you can use a recent phone on its (and other MVNO) plans, if you buy the phone through the MVNO (which is fulfilled by Sprint in reality). Sprint must be wary of people using their upgrade to sell the phone on the aftermarket.

As for your purchases, supposedly no one who already has a working phone will be cut off.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I agree with the grandfathering conclusion, but the N5 is listed when following the link in the OP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    I agree with the grandfathering conclusion, but the N5 is listed when following the link in the OP.
    I can confirm Prepayd Wireless is able to activated the Google Nexus 5 :
    Name:  nexus.png
Views: 323
Size:  248.8 KB

Thanks
    ACRS

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yeah...

Right after my post, I saw that Ting is accepting the Google Play N5, which does imply that the N5 is off the blacklist.

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Glad I read this. I have been offered a Sprint Moto X for $200. I thought I would activate it on something like RW. Guess not.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beckettfitz View Post
    So if I say buy the Nexus 5 from Bestbuy with the sprint sim card, can I activate it with Ringplus? Or is this for all Nexus 5's activated before Sprint's new "blacklist"?
    No.
    All devices on the blacklist will be grandfathered as of 6pm yesterday NOV 15th anything after that will not be allowed, but read the post below!

A must read synopsis from RingPlus' CTO on the situation regarding the blacklisted devices:
    Hey guys - it's actually even more complicated than PrepaYd is saying. We actually already do these steps automatically: Sprint policy says that any phone not currently in active wholesale status should be switched back to Sprint Retail as a "holding status." However, their new Blacklist prevents blocks this (sigh) and we receive an error when that occurs. We've built our system from the ground up so this all happens immediately and transparently in the background.

Going forward, we're going to start parsing those errors and actively email/reaching out to consumers who are attempting to migrate devices away. Both to help them convert, and also to be sure they understand that once removed from wholesale, they cannot be used in wholesale again until allowed by Sprint. Same goes for inbound customers; if you're selling a phone on eBay now and you mark it "compatible with RingPlus/Ting/PrepaYd!" it may actually get you more dollars than not.

All that being said, it's still possible to buy these higher-end devices that are already provisioned for PLBL from the primary distributors. RingPlus doesn't sell them directly, but others do. Those S4's, HTC One's, etc... will work just fine. While it's not exactly BYOSD, it is a way to get the latest and greatest while still running with us cool MVNOs.
    LINK

The above was posted in response to the below post Here on HoFo:

This email arrive from PrepaYd Wireless today:

"After further investigation on the Blacklist changes, we have been informed that the new Blacklist will take effect as of November 15, 2013 by 6pm Eastern Time. What does this mean for new, potential, and existing customers?

Until removed from the Blacklist:

You cannot activate or perform any ESN Changes to one of these Devices including any warranty replacements
    You cannot use BYOSP to convert Devices to PrepaYd or any other Sprint MVNO (PLBL) OR back to Sprint

This means the following:

• Devices currently active will be unaffected as long as you do not change Devices, port-out, or deactivate the number associated with the Device
    • You cannot activate these Devices on PrepaYd or any other Sprint MVNO that has these Devices on their Blacklist
    • PrepaYd and Sprint MVNOs are blacklisted from converting these Devices back to Sprint
    • You cannot Activate these Devices back on Sprint until they are removed from PLBL
    • Sprint Retail and Sprint Customer Service most likely will not be able to activate these Devices as they appear as belonging to one of Sprint’s MVNOs (PLBL) which are devices that cannot be activated on Sprint

This puts these newly Blacklisted Devices in what we are calling a “Black Hole” Status when non-Active where Sprint where they will be unusable until manually sent to Sprint’s BYOSD Department to override the errors and manually convert back to Sprint.

Knowing this potential risk we have developed and launched an Application for both our Dealers and Customers affected by this Black Hole scenario to submit their Blacklisted Devices to be removed from PLBL and converted back to Sprint by doing the following:
    - Go to to prepaydwireless.com
    - Then go to the BYOSP Drop-Down Menu
    - Select Release Device to Sprint.
    -Enter the ESN that you need released back to Sprint

This is a manual effort on both PrepaYd and Sprint and this process make take up to 3 business days for these Devices before these Devices can be re-Activated on Sprint. We appreciate the patience and understanding and all of the support we’ve received from our Dealers thus far and we’re hoping we can have these Devices approved for PrepaYd Activations again soon in the near future."
    Last edited by pfoneguy; 11-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Feedback Score
    No.
    All devices on the blacklist will be grandfathered as of 6pm yesterday NOV 15th anything after that will not be allowed, but read the post below!
    Seems complicated enough. Sign, may as well stick with Spotmobile which isn't too bad.

If only H20's or Skywireless data was 4g...

Feedback Score
    No.

A must read synopsis from RingPlus' CTO on the situation regarding the blacklisted devices:
    Hey guys - it's actually even more complicated than PrepaYd is saying. We actually already do these steps automatically: Sprint policy says that any phone not currently in active wholesale status should be switched back to Sprint Retail as a "holding status." However, their new Blacklist prevents blocks this (sigh) and we receive an error when that occurs. We've built our system from the ground up so this all happens immediately and transparently in the background.

Going forward, we're going to start parsing those errors and actively email/reaching out to consumers who are attempting to migrate devices away. Both to help them convert, and also to be sure they understand that once removed from wholesale, they cannot be used in wholesale again until allowed by Sprint. Same goes for inbound customers; if you're selling a phone on eBay now and you mark it "compatible with RingPlus/Ting/PrepaYd!" it may actually get you more dollars than not.

All that being said, it's still possible to buy these higher-end devices that are already provisioned for PLBL from the primary distributors. RingPlus doesn't sell them directly, but others do. Those S4's, HTC One's, etc... will work just fine. While it's not exactly BYOSD, it is a way to get the latest and greatest while still running with us cool MVNOs.
    LINK

The above was posted in response to the below post Here on HoFo:

This email arrive from PrepaYd Wireless today:

"After further investigation on the Blacklist changes, we have been informed that the new Blacklist will take effect as of November 15, 2013 by 6pm Eastern Time. What does this mean for new, potential, and existing customers?

Until removed from the Blacklist:

You cannot activate or perform any ESN Changes to one of these Devices including any warranty replacements
    You cannot use BYOSP to convert Devices to PrepaYd or any other Sprint MVNO (PLBL) OR back to Sprint

This means the following:

• Devices currently active will be unaffected as long as you do not change Devices, port-out, or deactivate the number associated with the Device
    • You cannot activate these Devices on PrepaYd or any other Sprint MVNO that has these Devices on their Blacklist
    • PrepaYd and Sprint MVNOs are blacklisted from converting these Devices back to Sprint
    • You cannot Activate these Devices back on Sprint until they are removed from PLBL
    • Sprint Retail and Sprint Customer Service most likely will not be able to activate these Devices as they appear as belonging to one of Sprint’s MVNOs (PLBL) which are devices that cannot be activated on Sprint

This puts these newly Blacklisted Devices in what we are calling a “Black Hole” Status when non-Active where Sprint where they will be unusable until manually sent to Sprint’s BYOSD Department to override the errors and manually convert back to Sprint.

Knowing this potential risk we have developed and launched an Application for both our Dealers and Customers affected by this Black Hole scenario to submit their Blacklisted Devices to be removed from PLBL and converted back to Sprint by doing the following:
    - Go to to prepaydwireless.com
    - Then go to the BYOSP Drop-Down Menu
    - Select Release Device to Sprint.
    -Enter the ESN that you need released back to Sprint

This is a manual effort on both PrepaYd and Sprint and this process make take up to 3 business days for these Devices before these Devices can be re-Activated on Sprint. We appreciate the patience and understanding and all of the support we’ve received from our Dealers thus far and we’re hoping we can have these Devices approved for PrepaYd Activations again soon in the near future."

Too much hassle. Just flash 'em to Page Plus or Selectel and move on.

Feedback Score
    Sprint is a carrier. They sell a service, the device should not matter. Why is anyone still on sprint. Weakest network but as locked down as Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Sprint is a carrier. They sell a service, the device should not matter. Why is anyone still on sprint. Weakest network but as locked down as Verizon.
    Because I have Sprint phones and RingPlus offers 400 minutes, 400 texts and 300 MBs for $10. And Sprint's network works well enough for me in my area.
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Sprint knows that people do pick carriers based on devices (it's why we're having this discussion, really) and they want the leading edge devices on their network with the highest ARPU.

With the iphone 5 and the Nexus 5, we're getting close to having phones that can work on all tier one US carriers (each of the two works on 3 of the carriers). Hopefully its not too much longer before all phones are universally accepted, even on MVNOs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast