Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: New mobile share plans

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    The plan will save me a little so will prob switch to it. Im eligible for an upgrade but i plan to stay out of contract so the savings will be nice.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question....so I currently have a Nation 450 plan (450 mins for $39.99/mo w/ rollover) and a Blackberry Enterprise DataPro 3GB ($45) w/unlimited Mobile-Mobile & Text ($20), that's roughly $105/mo minus a 20% FAN discount.... I know this is a legacy plan, but can I actually do this Mobile Share Value and *still* maintain the BB DataPro service? My understanding after reading the announcement is I have to ditch my BB plan completely, but since my company is stuck in ancient times, I can't exactly ditch my BB plan. I am trying to add an iPad into my account...cheaply, hopefully. Happy with the current minute buckets on my BB (don't need anymore), don't need a lot of data for my iPad, 250-300MB would do, and since I rarely use up more than 1-2GB on my BB even with (illegal) tethering - can my iPad share the DataPro 3GB with Mobile Share Value?

Thx in advance for any advices you guys can offer.

Jim

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Discounts FAN plans differ. I made the small mistake recently changing from my 14% discount to a 20% plan with my employer. The 14% discount was for the whole bill, and the 20% is only for my basic 450 minute voice portion, causing my bill to go up by about $1.50/month.

With my current plan, I wonder what the discount would apply to (not that any of you could answer that

But, for voice only, it looks like it would cost $5/month more than my existing plan if I signed up after my contract ends, giving me unlimited voice/text, and less data. Looks like I could save a few dollars if I terminated my unlimited iPad data plan and combined it.

But not as much as converting over to TMobile or a prepaid plan. I'll have to decide what I want to do next fall. Once out of contract, I have the option of trying other plans/companies.
    Overly complicated cell phone service. Unlimited with iPhone X. Low cost plan on other national network with iPhone 7+. And a real cheap pay per use plan for "home number" with Moto E4. Combination of best chance for coverage when traveling, and a home replacement number to give out when I don't want to give out my primary cell phone.

Feedback Score

Discount

Since I was a bit confused on the new plans based upon all the things I read, I called a rep yesterday & discovered my employee discount does not work with the 300mb plan.

Just for reference: I have like a 10 year old plan that is $40/month for 500 minutes (free nights start @ 8pm). I have used Symbian/Meego for years w/ wifi so never needed a dataplan; I tell people not to text me bc it costs $.30/each & they can just email me (which in my mind, is the same thing: you just type something on your phone & send it).

I discovered that the 300mb plan with your own un-subsidized phone would cost $40/month ($20 for plan & $20 for a feature phone; $25 for a smartphone). I was ready to switch as it was the exact same price I was currently paying but w/ unlimited talk/text & 300mb data. However, I was then told that my 17% employee discount would not work unless I got the 1GB plan which was $45 ($65/month total with the $20/month for the phone).

There was no way I was going to pay another $25/month for data I did not need. When my parents Verizon plan is up it looks like we are going over to T-mobile. I appreciate how they do not charge you extra for having a smartphone & from what I have been reading, they do not charge me for a subsidized phone even tho I brought my own (which apparently AT&T has been doing).

So if you have an employee discount, it may not work on the 300mb plan.

Cheers
    Nokia N9 16GB Black
    Nokia N8 Dark Grey (Retired)

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia69 View Post
    I discovered that the 300mb plan with your own un-subsidized phone would cost $40/month [I]($20 for plan & $20 for a feature phone; $25 for a smartphone)....
    Cheers
    Just read the fine print this morning, and in order to get on the Value plan, one of the phones has to be a smartphone.
    6.14 AT&T Mobile Share Plans (with Unlimited Talk and Text)
    AT&T Mobile Share plans allow you to share a monthly allotment of domestic wireless data usage, along with unlimited domestic talk and texting services (for basic phones, quick messaging phones and smartphones), among up to ten (10) devices. You choose a specific allotment of monthly shared data usage for a monthly recurring charge and then pay an additional charge for each Device added to the Mobile Share plan you select. You must specifically identify the devices (the “Designated Devices”) that will share your monthly allotment of data usage under the Mobile Share plan you select. At least one of the Designated Devices must be a smartphone and the remaining Designated Devices can include: smartphone(s), tablet(s), gaming device(s), modem(s), netbook(s), laptop(s), mobile hotspot(s), or basic or quick messaging phone(s).

Feedback Score
    All of these new plans from the carriers are just trying to copy off of T-Mobile's transition to no contract.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamester24 View Post
    Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question....so I currently have a Nation 450 plan (450 mins for $39.99/mo w/ rollover) and a Blackberry Enterprise DataPro 3GB ($45) w/unlimited Mobile-Mobile & Text ($20), that's roughly $105/mo minus a 20% FAN discount.... I know this is a legacy plan, but can I actually do this Mobile Share Value and *still* maintain the BB DataPro service? My understanding after reading the announcement is I have to ditch my BB plan completely, but since my company is stuck in ancient times, I can't exactly ditch my BB plan. I am trying to add an iPad into my account...cheaply, hopefully. Happy with the current minute buckets on my BB (don't need anymore), don't need a lot of data for my iPad, 250-300MB would do, and since I rarely use up more than 1-2GB on my BB even with (illegal) tethering - can my iPad share the DataPro 3GB with Mobile Share Value?

Thx in advance for any advices you guys can offer.

Jim
    Your employer is only behind the times if they're using BES 10 and earlier. BES 10 and above will support Android and iOS devices, in addition to BB devices. Inquire with your IT department to see what version of BES they're using to manage devices on the intranet and if it's a supported version, ask if you can BYOD.

If you still need access to BES then this feature still must be added somehow, either included with the Mobile Share Value Plan or in a separate SOC. To answer your question about Mobile Share Value Plans and BES compatibility, it's a likely a no. If you want BES with the Mobile Share Value Plan then you'll have inquire about this arrangement in-store since BES isn't normally a feature that's added.

The only way I can think of to put a data plan for the iPad is to set it up individually within the same account like I did.
    I have two separate data plans under one account. One for BB and the other for a tablet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well these plans are worse for me. Figures.

I currently have a pretty sweet deal in comparison. These share plans really make my old $75 Verizon unlimited data line a steal.

Currently:
    $29.99 Nation 450
    $37.50 5GB Data Pro
    $20 Unlimited Text and M2AM
    $87.49

I was about to pull the trigger on:
    10GB Data $90
    3 smartphones $90
    $180 for 3 smartphones

New plans are worse:
    10GB Data $100 (Does not show my FAN applying any discounts!)
    3 smartphones $120
    $220 (Even if the discount applied it would be $195 total)

We'd all want new upgrades at 24 months so any out of contract savings is negligible. Right now if I did want to go out of contract, I'd buy a used iPhone on Ebay or Glyde and use AIO. At some point aren't these carriers going to price themselves too high?
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    It's still not a better deal than GoPhone either. I get refills in the low $50 range. For me to consider this, I'd have to get at least a 25% discount via employer or student for this to be worthwhile. They should have done what T-Mobile did, which was mirror their postpaid plans to the prices of its prepaid, in the event there's no subsidy needed.

Oh well, at least this is a step in the right direction.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Unless something has changed, doesn't GoPhone only have AT&T's native coverage area whereas postpaid includes expanded coverage through roaming agreements? So while GoPhone cost less, you technically have a smaller coverage area though that may apply more in some areas and not at all in others.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    Unless something has changed, doesn't GoPhone only have AT&T's native coverage area whereas postpaid includes expanded coverage through roaming agreements? So while GoPhone cost less, you technically have a smaller coverage area though that may apply more in some areas and not at all in others.
    Yes, that's correct. I keep a cheap backup smartphone in my glove box that uses Selectel, so I get Verizon coverage with voice/text roaming.

Sent with the HoFo App
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    I give verizon by the end of next week to counter AT&T as they always do with each other.

Att is a scam. I get unlimited talk/text and data for 70.00 before taxes on tmobile or 75.00 after tax. Att plans for similar data is over 100 before taxes. Smh

Sent with the HoFo App
    T-Mobile is a bigger scam with a "Nation Wide" 4G network the size of my bathroom.

Yes, AT&T cost more and it's well worth it to some of us. However It's still good to see T-Mobile causing other carriers to make changes. I'm curious as to what Sprint and Verizon will do if anything.

Sent from my iPad

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    Yes, that's correct. I keep a cheap backup smartphone in my glove box that uses Selectel, so I get Verizon coverage with voice/text roaming.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I do the same with a phone on PagePlus. It cost almost nothing to keep active. It's handy when AT&T doesn't have coverage which is sadly more often that I'd like. I might switch to Verizon soon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    So why is 5 GB of data on a tablet $50 a month, while 2 GB of data on a smartphone $55? Seems like the ripoff by AT&T continues.
    The phone plan includes phone/text/data whereas the tablet is data only?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    I do the same with a phone on PagePlus. It cost almost nothing to keep active. It's handy when AT&T doesn't have coverage which is sadly more often that I'd like. I might switch to Verizon soon.
    AT&T better step up their network out west then. Rural areas on the east coast I've never seen an area with "No Service" from AT&T that has Verizon coverage. I've seen the opposite, particularly in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
    AT&T changed the way the discount is applied when they created the Mobile Share plans. The discount applies to the shared data portion.

For 2 smartphones on the new 4GB value plan with a 10% discount through an employer:
    $70 for 4GB - 10% = $63 ($31.50/phone)
    I know that the taxes/fees vary by location. I pay $7-8 per line near NYC.

It ends up being more expensive than your GoPhone plan ($31.50 + 25 + 7.50 = $64) but there are some slight differences in the plan that may make the switch worthwhile. The postpaid plan has slightly different coverage, includes hotspot, and can also include your tablet.

You mentioned that you're currently paying $30/month for your tablet plan. If you included the tablet and moved to a 6GB plan you would pay:
    $80 - 10% = $72 for shared data
    $25 + 25 + $10 = $60 for devices
    ~$18 in taxes/fees
    for a total of $150
    Thanks. The more I think about it, the more I'm impressed with these plans. I don't think I'd even spend the $10 for my tablet as I'd be able to just tether, bringing me down to $140, which is what I'm paying currently on gophone plus the tablet.
    iPhone 5 !!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast