Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint to acquire T-Mobile in 2014?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    http://asia.nikkei.com/print/article/11793

Masa Son is buying T-Mobile for at the least a big chunk of their management. I'm convinced of this after reading this link.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Masa Son probably likes Legere's style, brass and effective.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    htc/samsung
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile/sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    http://asia.nikkei.com/print/article/11793

Masa Son is buying T-Mobile for at the least a big chunk of their management. I'm convinced of this after reading this link.
    LOL
    I know right! But I gotta think he could offer them jobs for a lot less than paying 50bil for the whole company!
    Sprint needs to find its youth. Tmo has attracted many young people like its the "hot" network to be on.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    He ain't buyin' diddledy squat. NOT gonna happen!
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiconjp View Post

Sent with the HoFo App
    not hard to see why. Sprint and Dan cannot deliver on anything today, and in the past with the Nextel debacle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Absolutely the TRUTH. If softbank allows T-Mobile to surpass Sprint into the #3 position (which is almost guaranteed to happen)
    Sprint has about 9 million more customers than T-Mobile. Even if T-Mobile were to gain a million on Sprint each quarter, that would take them over two years to happen. And I don't think that's guaranteed at all. Because the closer you get, the harder it is to close the gap.

Feedback Score
    If DT owns 2/3 of T-Mobile, I don't think Softbank can do a hostile takeover.

Usually if a company's hot, the shareholders can expect 30-40% premium. T-Mobile is hot right now but they're also laden with debts. $30B buyout represents a 15% premium.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, LG G6, Galaxy Tab S 8.4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiconjp View Post

Sent with the HoFo App
    Like he said in the article "speak your mind or fail" that kind of sounds like John Legere to me.
    I recommend using "Sensorly" to map cellphone coverage and share speedtests.

Feedback Score

Sprint to acquire T-Mobile in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Sprint has about 9 million more customers than T-Mobile. Even if T-Mobile were to gain a million on Sprint each quarter, that would take them over two years to happen. And I don't think that's guaranteed at all. Because the closer you get, the harder it is to close the gap.

But what if sprint loses 1 million at the same time? Then it's like a year, maybe even less.

I just hope whatever happens it stays the tmobile name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, Sprint losses will mount making the time needed to catch up less than that. Sprint just announced a mass-layoff similar to the one T-Mo had (same exact reason too!) when we started to lose customers, and this was after Q4 of course.. not lookin too good for Sprinty Sprint
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezula84 View Post
    You never say "yeah im doing this to sell it". That causes market issues.

They were very willing to sell to AT&T before. Whether it was because they werent profitable or not may not be the reason, but simply they dont want to be in the US telecom industry anymore.
    T-Mobile was willing to sell to ATT when they thought the terms were favorable. If the merger went through, their payout and exit from the US market would have been very clean. They could use the cash to then re-invest in the European market and expand to other emerging markets. That was their goal. They, being smart Germans, ensured that they had a proper backup plan though.

Their backup plan has proven to work quite well so far. The US market has far less competition than it did even 2 years ago thanks to the MetroPCS reverse merger and Leap being bought by ATT. This has made T-Mobile the most attractive carrier to customers on the low end, but also a driving force for competition on the national level. Their subscriber numbers are up, and while profits are still lagging, that's partially due to their CAPEX costs. While TMUS management has little say in who Deutsche Telekom sells to, TMUS is in a prettier position than other TMO/DT operations in Europe where profits are low because competition is intense. TMUS can battle to lower prices while still providing a return to investors because it is gaining market share and thus lowering per-user costs. Revenue growth is increasing for TMUS (+15%), compared to negative growth in european revenues (-2%).

In Deutsche Telekom's Q3 summary, they stated to their investors in no uncertain terms:
    "Net revenue increased by 2.3 percent. - The United States operating segment in particular contributed to this revenue trend as a result of the inclusion of MetroPCS since May 1, 2013 and continued strong customer additions."

Those don't sound like the words of a company begging to be rid of some unprofitable albatross. It actually sounds like TMUS is propping up their numbers.

When TMUS was on a downward spiral with no spectrum, no money, and subscriber losses - SURE - get out of the market before you actually take financial losses. That makes a ton of sense. But why on earth would DT allow TMUS to increase CAPEX, lower pricing, and aggressively go after their competition? Those are the very reasons why the Justice Department brought a law suit against the failed ATT/TMUS merger in the first place. TMUS is justifying the DoJ's actions AGAINST mergers of the 4 nationwide carriers in the US.

If DT wanted to sell to Sprint/Softbank, then by allowing TMUS to compete as strongly as it has, DT and TMUS are giving the DoJ an even easier case against a Sprint/TMUS merger than the DoJ had against ATT. It's practically on a silver platter.
    Last edited by reuthermonkey; 01-18-2014 at 05:48 PM.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    Those don't sound like the words of a company begging to be rid of some unprofitable albatross. It actually sounds like TMUS is propping up their numbers.

When TMUS was on a downward spiral with no spectrum, no money, and subscriber losses - SURE - get out of the market before you actually take financial losses. That makes a ton of sense. But why on earth would DT allow TMUS to increase CAPEX, lower pricing, and aggressively go after their competition.
    TMUS is now a publicly traded company. The remaining 33% are expecting the value of their shares of TMUS to go up, therefore they're expecting T-Mobile US to increase the subscriber base and ARPU. T-Mobile US does this by investing in their network and offer aggressive pricing, and when each quarter is up T-Mobile US posts their numbers and if their numbers are good then the value of the shares go up. Secondly, at its low peak at the time of the AT&T/T-Mobile USA merger AT&T offered to pay $39 billion for everything. Now, this company is worth up to $50 billion, that's just the pricing SoftBank figured out if they want to buy only 67% of the company. In four years, the value of the company went up by $10 billion.

DT potentially sees an extra $10 billion just by accepting the deal with AT&T as a failure, making an investment and selling TMUS at its peak. That's probably $50 billion DT can take home and pay down their debt, invest in fixed broadband providers in Europe, or invest in their wireless operations in Europe. Even better is that they put the remaining 67% of their shares into a Netherlands holding company which gives them a nice tax break if those shares get sold.

Start with a crippled company, pump cash to boost quarterly numbers, watch the stock skyrocket, sell out at its peak, and watch money fall from the sky. Customers like you and me are just numbers which pump up the value of their shares. After they get a cool $50 billion they couldn't care less what happens to you and me, that's somebody elses problem.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 01-18-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    TMUS is now a publicly traded company. The remaining 33% are expecting the value of their shares of TMUS to go up, therefore they're expecting T-Mobile US to increase the subscriber base and ARPU. T-Mobile US does this by investing in their network and offer aggressive pricing, and when each quarter is up T-Mobile US posts their numbers and if their numbers are good then the value of the shares go up. Secondly, at its low peak at the time of the AT&T/T-Mobile USA merger AT&T offered to pay $39 billion for everything. Now, this company is worth up to $50 billion. In four years, the value of the company went up by $10 billion.

DT potentially sees an extra $10 billion just by accepting the deal with AT&T as a failure, making an investment and selling TMUS at its peak. That's probably $50 billion DT can take home and pay down their debt, invest in fixed broadband providers in Europe, or invest in their wireless operations in Europe. Even better is that they put the remaining 67% of their shares into a Netherlands holding company which gives them a nice tax break if those shares get sold.

Start with a devalued company, pump cash to boost quarterly numbers, watch the stock skyrocket, sell out at its peak, and watch money fall from the sky. Customers like you and me are just numbers which pump up the value of their shares.
    I can 100% accept that if it weren't for the fact that the only Mobile enterprise in DT's inventory generating actual revenue is... TMUS. It's literally propping up DT's numbers company-wide.
    Subscribers for all of DT's Mobile networks in Europe - Greece, Romania, Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, The Netherlands, Slovakia, and Austria - was down -0.5% last year. These are *emerging* markets after all, where profits should already be strong. TMUS had (relatively) immense organic growth over the same time period. Only Germany, Hungary, and the Czech Republic saw any positive growth for DT in the past year. Fixed line growth is a bit better for DT, but not by much.

I mean, I can definitely see the side of the argument to where you can increase the value of the company to sell. That's great and all. All I'm saying is, it's not going to be to Sprint. While they've pumped up the value, TMUS management has all but cemented the viewpoint that the United States *needs* 4 national carriers to ensure competition. The last thing Sprint did anything pro-competition was what, introduce unlimited data? 5 YEARS ago? I'm not at all convinced that a Sprint/TMUS merger would be seen by regulators as any better than a ATT/TMUS merger. Maybe a 3rd party who wants to (re)enter the US mobile market? Maybe.

Feedback Score
    If Tmobile isn't at the helm the deal will fail. I believe DT should unload the asset to another telecom provider with real experience and profitability rather than DT. Softbank would have to divest Sprint and keep Legere and it's team for it to even possibly be successful.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    I mean, I can definitely see the side of the argument to where you can increase the value of the company to sell. That's great and all. All I'm saying is, it's not going to be to Sprint. While they've pumped up the value, TMUS management has all but cemented the viewpoint that the United States *needs* 4 national carriers to ensure competition. The last thing Sprint did anything pro-competition was what, introduce unlimited data? 5 YEARS ago? I'm not at all convinced that a Sprint/TMUS merger would be seen by regulators as any better than a ATT/TMUS merger.
    It won't be Sprint for sure. It will be SoftBank who will be pulling the strings, and as a matter of fact it was SoftBank who arranged the financing with two banks. All SoftBank has to do is divest spectrum and customers to a willing party such a Dish, who they themselves want to enter the wireless field and have been trying to enter for quite some time. You still have 4 national wireless carriers, Sprint, Dish, AT&T and Verizon Wireless. Nobody said that you had to have T-Mobile around, you just need 4 wireless carriers.

That's just a thought...

Maybe a 3rd party who wants to (re)enter the US mobile market? Maybe.
    The only third party flush with cash and a voracious appetite for foreign properties are the Chinese.
    Not likely to happen but they have money to spend.

Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast