Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint to acquire T-Mobile in 2014?

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    There's nothing much to think about. CDMA will is a technology that will soon be phased out. There's zero reason to move T-Mobile customers over to it. All customers will be moved to a common LTE network which will take advantage of the significant amount of spectrum held by both companies.
    Sprint has been incapable of building a decent network. Sprint has been bleeding customers long after Iden got turned off, and with an apple iPhone. I certainly don't trust them based on the past.

Sprint needs to focus on its own assessts before trying to digest yet another carrier.

Sent from my XT1080

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Sorry if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but there are a LOT of posts and I may have missed it, but what about foreign ownership rules in the Communications Act? Both T-Mobile US and Sprint are majority owned by foreign companies, which individually is apparently not an issue but what are the chances the FCC would block the consolidation of all of that foreign ownership into one foreign owner? It seems that in most articles I've read it's Softbank lining up funding, not Sprint.

A quick summary of the old rules and the new rules from 2012:

http://about.bloomberglaw.com/practi...view-policies/

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    There's nothing much to think about. CDMA will is a technology that will soon be phased out. There's zero reason to move T-Mobile customers over to it. All customers will be moved to a common LTE network which will take advantage of the significant amount of spectrum held by both companies.
    Despite your confident tone and phraseology, I don't think we can treat this acquisition as a 'done deal' quite yet.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Despite your confident tone and phraseology, I don't think we can treat this acquisition as a 'done deal' quite yet.

I never stated it's a done deal. But if such a merger did happen, the goal would be to get everyone on a common LTE network. Tmobile customers won't be forced onto CDMA only devices as someone else indicated.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Feedback Score
    I never stated it's a done deal. But if such a merger did happen, the goal would be to get everyone on a common LTE network.
    That's certainly our (the customer) goal. I wouldn't underestimate Sprint's ability to score an own goal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    That's certainly our (the customer) goal. I wouldn't underestimate Sprint's ability to score an own goal.
    Sprint would need a serious head examination if they did try to put more people on their CDMA network. CDMA has been dead tech for several years. There is absolutely no way to make it any faster or have better voice quality unless they move to rev B, which isn't backwards compatible unlike HSPA.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Sprint has been incapable of building a decent network. Sprint has been bleeding customers long after Iden got turned off, and with an apple iPhone. I certainly don't trust them based on the past.

Sprint needs to focus on its own assessts before trying to digest yet another carrier.

Sent from my XT1080
    Cant agree more! Sprint acquiring Tmobile would truely leave us with a duopoly.
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I never stated it's a done deal. …
    Nor did I imply that you "stated" that it was.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    Sprint would need a serious head examination if they did try to put more people on their CDMA network. CDMA has been dead tech for several years. There is absolutely no way to make it any faster or have better voice quality unless they move to rev B, which isn't backwards compatible unlike HSPA.
    I don't have much faith in Sprint, though I would hope Softbank would keep the GSM network and phase out CDMA. Though I'm still afraid, even if they kept the GSM network, that Sprint would keep their "locked phone" policies; that Sprint would require their phones on the network, making you call customer service to change phones rather than just trade out SIM cards (similar to what MetroPCS is requiring on GSM phones).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    T-mobile could sign an agreement with Sprint to bid on the 600Mhz spectrum, and do a network sharing agreement to upgrade the towers to support 600 and boost their coverage.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    T-mobile could sign an agreement with Sprint to bid on the 600Mhz spectrum, and do a network sharing agreement to upgrade the towers to support 600 and boost their coverage.
    Only if Sprint provided the finances for T-Mobile to deploy it. Sprints ability to deploy a new network have shown marginal at best.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    They'd probably have to create some sort of limited partnership to do this. The FCC has some strict rules about bidding on licenses and the transparency of the process.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I still 100% believe that the talks between T-Mobile and Sprint have revolved around precisely this, and NOT an actual business merger.

By joining together on the 600mhz spectrum auction and then running a network-sharing agreement, they both benefit from lower CAPEX, quicker deployments, and better coverage than either of them alone would be able to do in the short term.

And for those asking, a network-sharing agreement would not go against anything John Legere has said recently with regards to Sprint and competition.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Device(s)
    htc/samsung
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile/sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    I still 100% believe that the talks between T-Mobile and Sprint have revolved around precisely this, and NOT an actual business merger.

By joining together on the 600mhz spectrum auction and then running a network-sharing agreement, they both benefit from lower CAPEX, quicker deployments, and better coverage than either of them alone would be able to do in the short term.

And for those asking, a network-sharing agreement would not go against anything John Legere has said recently with regards to Sprint and competition.

That definitely has to be on the table whether or not sprint is able to buy tmo.. It makes a lot sense. My only question, is where does Dish fit in this whole process? I think they may be the wild card. We know they have signed some type of agreement with sprint to use some of the 25/2600 for broadband. We know the gov wants to see 4 carriers. We know dish has spectrum in the 700 that has to be deployed in 5yrs~ (i think they recently got an extension).

So if tmo/sprint sign an agreement, Dish might then have to sell 700 to tmo or swap it with sprint for and equal amount of the 25/2600 since I believe thats what dish would prefer to use for what they want to do?

Sprint might try to get the gov blessing by bringing in Dish as the 4th. The amount of time Dish has left to deploy would certainly fit. Sprint/tmo swap some spectrum with Dish and give Dish any remaining infrastructure that the new company wouldnt need (co-located sites etc) So Dish wouldnt have to build ground up. Other rhan something like that, I dont think it get through the gov. So sharing a large chunk of 600 seems very logical-
    Batman
    Hit me up

Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast