Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 705 of 935

Thread: Sprint to acquire T-Mobile in 2014?

  1. #691
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,393
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Not positive if it is but it's something under wraps and not (well) known by the public. High level discussions have been going on for a while iirc between multiple entities. For sure between sprint, USCC, cspire, and other small operators not aligned with big red or blue empire. No word on tmobile though.

    Cspire and sprint has a lte agreement I'm sure. Sprint has 3 inbound lte agreements and 2 outbound.



    Sent from my Nexus 5
    I'm 100% on cspire and sprint agreement. I've roamed on sprint LTE in Tuscaloosa, al and all over Texas.


    Sent with the HoFo App

  2. #692
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    7,063
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Indeed. Put T-Mobile and Sprint together and you still don't equal 1/3 of either of the big 2. T-Mo and Sprint both cover the same urban areas and the same little strings of interstate highways and neither covers the north-central third of the country from Minnesota to Washington. Because of these facts, a merger would not help expand overall coverage for the combined company at all, just more coverage in the same existing areas. Maybe that's what they're going for.

    Even Fierce Wireless has come out thinking a buyout is a ridiculous idea, with some very good reasons: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...dea/2014-01-29
    Neither company has the scale to build out much right now. If they're combined? Maybe, but Sprint and T-Mobile didn't have the money to buy out rural carriers like the duopoly did.

    A good example is that most of the Verizon coverage around me wasn't built out by Verizon, it was built by Cellular One and Ameritech that got divested to Verizon when SBC bought Ameritech.

    Sprint had rural carriers they could have bought and missed on under the Forsee era, most notably Alltel. They pushed toward the Nextel disaster instead. DT's bank account was tapped when they bought Voicestream.

    Even in NW OK that market was an acquisition. It was the new AT&T buying the old one, more or less (ATTWS getting bought by Cingular/SBC/New AT&T).

    Even T-Mobile, which is doing well with urban subscribers, isn't making money at the scale that the duopoly is. Sprint is doing rural LTE conversions and that's doing nothing to help their numbers.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

  3. #693
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,070
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    The problem is we don't have four nationwide carriers. We have two nationwide carriers (Verizon and AT&T) and two urban ones (Sprint and T-Mobile).
    By your definition, we have zero "nationwide" cellular carriers. Have you checked AT&T's coverage map in Alaska, Nebraska and Wyoming? Verizon does a bit better but still has blank spots in Idaho and little service in Alaska. Being picky, am I? Well, maybe I'm just demonstrating that one can set any definition of "nationwide" he cares to. Unless I get service at the bottom of Carlesbad Cavern, I don't count it as "nationwide."
    Donald Newcomb

  4. #694
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    7,063
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    By your definition, we have zero "nationwide" cellular carriers. Have you checked AT&T's coverage map in Alaska, Nebraska and Wyoming? Verizon does a bit better but still has blank spots in Idaho and little service in Alaska. Being picky, am I? Well, maybe I'm just demonstrating that one can set any definition of "nationwide" he cares to. Unless I get service at the bottom of Carlesbad Cavern, I don't count it as "nationwide."
    I'm speaking of carriers that have comprehensive sub 1 GHz holdings.

  5. #695
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,949
    Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    T-Mobile has good rural coverage, its just GPRS/EDGE.

    Sent from my XT1080

  6. #696
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    11,211
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Let's stick to comments that actually add to the discussion, not comments that egg each other on and comments making discussion personal. Sound good? Good.

    Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

  7. #697
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    7,063
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    0

    Sprint to acquire T-Mobile in 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    T-Mobile has good rural coverage, its just GPRS/EDGE.

    Sent from my XT1080
    They still don't have the same amount of GPRS/EDGE native that AT&T and Verizon has. The last numbers I have seen puts T-Mo at 260 MM native POP's.

    I'm sure that T-Mobile has decent rural coverage in California where they took the Cingular network but some other parts of the country still have a lot of work to be done.

  8. #698
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,687
    Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    The problem is we don't have four nationwide carriers. We have two nationwide carriers (Verizon and AT&T) and two urban ones (Sprint and T-Mobile).
    The only reason we have two nationwide carriers and two urban carriers (which are actually still nationwide, considering the "urban" carriers still cover over 93% of the population) is that thanks to poor decisions by the FCC, those urban carriers don't have the spectrum to become nationwide (area-wise) carriers.

    As others have pointed out, would a Sprint/TMO merger create a new carrier that has the coverage and pricing to compete with ATT and VZW? Without more sub 1ghz spectrum, the answer remains "no".

    ^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

  9. #699
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    7,063
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    The only reason we have two nationwide carriers and two urban carriers (which are actually still nationwide, considering the "urban" carriers still cover over 93% of the population) is that thanks to poor decisions by the FCC, those urban carriers don't have the spectrum to become nationwide (area-wise) carriers.

    As others have pointed out, would a Sprint/TMO merger create a new carrier that has the coverage and pricing to compete with ATT and VZW? Without more sub 1ghz spectrum, the answer remains "no".
    At least with a merged company Sprint and T-Mobile could start using 700 and 850 in tandem. I agree with the FCC comment, the problem is that boat already left the dock. If the FCC had stopped the rural buyouts there would be more competition.

  10. #700
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Neither company has the scale to build out much right now. If they're combined? Maybe, but Sprint and T-Mobile didn't have the money to buy out rural carriers like the duopoly did.

    A good example is that most of the Verizon coverage around me wasn't built out by Verizon, it was built by Cellular One and Ameritech that got divested to Verizon when SBC bought Ameritech.

    Sprint had rural carriers they could have bought and missed on under the Forsee era, most notably Alltel. They pushed toward the Nextel disaster instead. DT's bank account was tapped when they bought Voicestream.

    Even in NW OK that market was an acquisition. It was the new AT&T buying the old one, more or less (ATTWS getting bought by Cingular/SBC/New AT&T).

    Even T-Mobile, which is doing well with urban subscribers, isn't making money at the scale that the duopoly is. Sprint is doing rural LTE conversions and that's doing nothing to help their numbers.
    There is nothing inherently evil about expanding your system by acquiring other carriers, smaller carriers, whatever. That's the way business works. Is it lazy, maybe, that is an opinion, the fact remains that AT&T/Verizon's systems were expanded and users get to use a truly "nationwide" system as a result, with some 3G/4G capability instead of relying on 1x or GPRS roaming if they wander more than 5 miles from an interstate highway as is the case with Sprint and T-Mobile. Bragging that either of them is "upgrading rural areas" is a bit disingenuous when all they are doing is upgrading those tiny little sites along the interstates that, yes, are in rural areas in between the cities, but that disregards the other 95% of the country that isn't next to an interstate. Making the interstates the magical "end-goal" of cellphone coverage is one of the greatest scams of all time, IMHO.
    Last edited by ggore; 01-30-2014 at 12:33 PM.

  11. #701
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    If the FCC had stopped the rural buyouts there would be more competition.
    There is a big downside to too much "competition'. I remember the good old days (and some not too long ago and still exist in some parts of the country) of cellphone service around here, when, if you were at home, your phone worked just fine, drive 10 miles to the next town and you would be on another carrier where it wouldn't work at all. Drive in another direction 10 miles and it wouldn't work at all on another carrier unless you first called a number you were given when you tried to make a call and give an operator your credit card number and with that be allowed to roam on that carrier for the day. Or drive 10 miles in another direction and your phone might roam but only on 1X or GPRS and not be usable for data at all. All that is a reason that consolidation has its good points, getting rid of some of the little fiefdoms and offering customers wider-area service.

    Some of this can be solved by mandating roaming in some manner, but the little carriers grouse about having to "give away" their services in this manner after they were the ones who risked the money by building systems in places the big boys refused to service. The little guys have a point.
    Last edited by ggore; 01-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.

  12. #702
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,391
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    There is nothing inherently evil about expanding your system by acquiring other carriers, smaller carriers, whatever. That's the way business works. Is it lazy, maybe, that is an opinion, the fact remains that AT&T/Verison's systems were expanded and users get to use a truly "nationwide" system as a result, instead of relying on 1x or GPRS roaming if they wander more than 5 miles from an interstate highway as is the case with Sprint and T-Mobile. Bragging that either of them is "upgrading rural areas is a bit disingenuous when all they are doing is upgrading those tiny little sites along the interstates that, yes, are in rural areas in between the cities and forget the other 95% of the country that isn't next to an interstate. Making the interstates the magical "end-goal" of cellphone coverage is one of the greatest scams of all time, IMHO.
    This is most T-Mobile and Sprint can do with there current spectrum holdings even Cingular Wireless and AT&T Wireless under the Road Runner/GSM Corridor had the same problem almost a decade ago so this isn't anything new, all you have done is just replaced names. If you were in Hofo almost 7 years ago we would have the same conversation ad infinitum in the Cingular Wireless forum. Even both number 2 and 3 had headaches with their rural interstates and still wasn't able to be solved when they both consolidated in 2004.

    This has problem has vexed wireless carriers in this country even since they went digital.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 01-30-2014 at 12:09 PM.

  13. #703
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,391
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    T-Mobile has good rural coverage, its just GPRS/EDGE.

    Sent from my XT1080
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-EDGE-upgrade
    That's why we have this thread,because we can continue forever on this topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post

    I'm sure that T-Mobile has decent rural coverage in California where they took the Cingular network but some other parts of the country still have a lot of work to be done.
    Sorry this isn't the case. The Pacific Bell Wireless network was never designed for rural coverage, it was an urban carrier and even then it wasnt that good to begin with. Cingular and T-Mobile, but mainly the latter did upgrade the network for HSPA+/LTE or expand basic coverage but it still needs more coverage.

  14. #704
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    7,063
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    This is most T-Mobile and Sprint can do with there current spectrum holdings even Cingular Wireless and AT&T Wireless under the Road Runner/GSM Corridor had the same problem almost a decade ago so this isn't anything new, all you have done is just replaced names. If you were in Hofo almost 7 years ago we would have the same conversation ad infinitum in the Cingular Wireless forum. Even both number 2 and 3 had headaches with their rural interstates and still wasn't able to be solved when they both consolidated in 2004.

    This has problem has vexed wireless carriers in this country even since they went digital.
    Exactly. I'm not saying a T-Mobile/Sprint merger would be a panacea, just that it would make rural deployment somewhat easier.

  15. #705
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,391
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Exactly. I'm not saying a T-Mobile/Sprint merger would be a panacea, just that it would make rural deployment somewhat easier.
    Any easier with Sprint apparently behind in their network upgrades and introduction of LTE 800?

Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint to acquire Virgin Mobile USA
    By Evan702 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
  2. Will Sprint Acquire Virgin Mobile ....
    By vmobi in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM
  3. any sprint pcs AND t-mobile users here
    By timhorton1998 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2002, 01:15 PM
  4. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 12:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks