Thread: AT&T New Towers not Launching with LTE?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T New Towers not Launching with LTE?

I live in an area that is not heavily populated, but has two AT&T towers in it. The one tower was just put up this year and I was told that once it went live then there would be LTE in my area. The AT&T rep told me that there is to be another tower put up in my area. My question is, does AT&T put up towers without LTE? It was since been six months since the tower went active and there is still no LTE. Verizon has had LTE here for over a year, so there is obviously enough band with and capability for LTE, so why not launch it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 13hartc View Post
    I live in an area that is not heavily populated, but has two AT&T towers in it. The one tower was just put up this year and I was told that once it went live then there would be LTE in my area. The AT&T rep told me that there is to be another tower put up in my area. My question is, does AT&T put up towers without LTE? It was since been six months since the tower went active and there is still no LTE. Verizon has had LTE here for over a year, so there is obviously enough band with and capability for LTE, so why not launch it?
    If they put up a brand new tower, it would make sense for them to make it an LTE tower, but there could be a few different reasons why it's not yet. AT&T's towers also broadcast 3G and 2G signals in addition to 4G signals. Their first priority is likely to get voice coverage available, so they set up the EDGE/HSPA part of the tower first. AT&T customer service reps are infamous for promising LTE that doesn't arrive for a while (Not to say that this is the case in your situation). LTE requires spectrum and licenses, which sometimes take a while to get. Verizon has LTE because it has the spectrum for it in that area, while AT&T may not (yet). It's difficult to say exactly when the towers might be upgraded to LTE, but generally the upgrades happen instantly and without warning (you might look at your phone one day and discover you have LTE).

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They are installing it but not turning it on as soon as the tower goes live. Att waits and turns entire markets on for more consistent experience. Verizon did the same thing in my area. They all went live at once.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk