Thread: MMS/Text messages blocking?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

MMS/Text messages blocking?

Hi guys,

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask but here goes anyway.

I have an AT&T pay as you go plan ($0.10/min) and had a question about MMS and text messages.

Once in awhile I will get an MMS or text message that I didn't request nor didn't open, yet I'm still charged $0.25 for each message.

My question is this: Is there any way to block messages coming from people you don't know? Or, can you block certain numbers after you are charged for the message?

So, if someone knew your phone number and wanted to deplete all your funds, they could just continuously send MMS or text messages even if they also get charged on their end?

I don't wanna sound cheap, (even though I am), but hey, $0.25 is $0.25. Plus I don't like getting charged for something I didn't open or look at.

Thanks for listening.......................

Device(s)
    HTC 10
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    what type of phone do you have? if you have a android you can block messages

Drew:
    HTC 10
    Voice & Text: Unlimited
    Data: Unlimited
    Hotspot: 6GB

Girlfriend:
    iPhone 5S

Mom:
    Samsung Galaxy Note:4 (Black)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67vWw29RZUE

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can block receiving the message but you cannot block being billed for it.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    25 cents per message is an absolute rip-off. You should switch to a different plan.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wow! I guess I don't have many options.

Thanks guys.

I have an Android phone. Nexus4. Where can I block messages? But...

It really wouldn't do any good to block messages if I'm gonna get charged for them anyway.

Changing plans is my only option if I don't wanna get charged for text/mms messages? Not good.

Are all pay as you go plans this way? I really wanna stay with a pay as you go plan of some type.

Thanks again.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can call 611 to block all messaging. They will do that for you.

If you set your MMS messaging to prompt, you are still billed for the message? I would test this but my GoPhone isn't on me. Basically, prompt means that you get a notification but you have the chance to reject it. In the past, if you rejected the message, you weren't billed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's exactly what I want to do.

I want to be able to allow certain text/mms messages but also be able to reject messages from people I don't know.

I really don't want to block all messages though.

Can someone explain how I could do this on my Nexus4?

Thanks.....

Device(s)
    LG Transpyre
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    That's exactly what I want to do.

I want to be able to allow certain text/mms messages but also be able to reject messages from people I don't know.

I really don't want to block all messages though.

Can someone explain how I could do this on my Nexus4?

Thanks.....
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eblocker&hl=en

I have Verizon, but I use this Google Play app. It's a full featured free Call/Text/MMS blocker app. It has an unlimited blacklist/whitelist, and you can block unknown messages and calls. I have unlimited texting.

I would look into other phone plans. $0.25 per message is expensive.
    I Am Perfection
    -Jarrett178

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrett178 View Post
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eblocker&hl=en

I have Verizon, but I use this Google Play app. It's a full featured free Call/Text/MMS blocker app. It has an unlimited blacklist/whitelist, and you can block unknown messages and calls. I have unlimited texting.

I would look into other phone plans. $0.25 per message is expensive.
    Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out.

As far as the price for text messages , I really don't use this feature so I'm not real concerned that the price is pretty high.

I just want to be able to reject any message I don't want.

Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here is the portion of the GoPhone Wireless Service Agreement dealing with messages:

Text, Picture/Video Messaging and Instant Messaging: If you don't purchase a Messaging package, pay-per-use Text /Picture/Video Messaging service is automatically available, just pay for usage. You may remove any pay-per-use service by contacting customer service. There is a charge per message sent or received, whether read or unread, solicited or unsolicited.
    The current pay-per-use charges for messages are $0.20 per SMS message and $0.25 per MMS message.
    Last edited by efparri; 01-06-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Device(s)
    too many iPhones
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    if your phone is unlocked, you may want to consider porting to ptel with their paygo. texts are 2cents each. get a sim and you're good to go. but of course this is if tmobile has good reception in your area and your phone is unlocked. personally myself have ptel paygo on two old iphones. $10 every two months (so that's $20 every two months for me since that's two phones). but my everyday phone, an iPhone 5, is on at&t gophone on a monthly plan.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There are just three options in the Original Poster's situation using the GoPhone plan selected. Use pay-per-use for messages, block all messages or purchase a messaging package. If the combination of SMS messages and MMS messages does not add up to more than $4.99 every thirty days, a messaging package is not cost effective.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks everyone for all your help.

I am playing with the Android app that jarrett178 turned me on to, and hopefully that will help somewhat.

I really don't send or receive that many sms or mms messages to warrant getting a data package.

I just thought it was crappy that they would charge you $0.25 for a message you never open.

With this Android app I will probably just allow people in my phone book to send me messages and hopefully using that method, I will not get charged for messages I don't want.

We'll see.

Thanks again to all who offered help.

Much appreciated....

I just noticed that under my username it has the words "Phone Expert".

I don't think so.........................

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Those tags are put on automatically by the forum software based upon your message count. Gold Members may choose a personal tag. The next complaint will be that you are billed for messages you never received. The Android app simply stops the messages from being downloaded. It does not stop the carrier from receiving them. Once the carrier receives the message, you are billed, no matter what happens after that. For example, if you went on a month long trip and left your telephone at home, you would be billed for undeliverable messages. The carrier maintains messages for only a few days if it cannot deliver them.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Those tags are put on automatically by the forum software based upon your message count. Gold Members may choose a personal tag. The next complaint will be that you are billed for messages you never received. The Android app simply stops the messages from being downloaded. It does not stop the carrier from receiving them. Once the carrier receives the message, you are billed, no matter what happens after that. For example, if you went on a month long trip and left your telephone at home, you would be billed for undeliverable messages. The carrier maintains messages for only a few days if it cannot deliver them.
    Not sure what to make of this post.

"The next complaint will be that you are billed for messages you never received." What does that mean?

I thought I was asking a simple question, but now I'm complaining? Considering you have a few more posts on here than I do, I'll assume I'm complaining as you suggested.

So what good would the Android app be then? If you are still charged for the message, what would be the reason to use the app?

So once again, if someone with a grudge against you, who knew your phone number, they could continuously send you messages thereby depleting the funds in your account, and you could do nothing to stop this, short of blocking all messages or changing your number? Is that correct?

And again, do all "pay as you go" carriers charge for messages whether or not you read them, or is this just an AT&T policy?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast