Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Verizon vs T-Mobile

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon vs T-Mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by luism1023 View Post
    I love T-mobile and I'm not changing carriers anytime soon but I call bs on them using speedstest as their source for the network speed info. As those affected by the issue with throttling on larger files, the issue didn't really show up on the speedstest app. I feel like they know you are using the app and give you the better speeds so it show on the records the speedstest app keeps.
    Tmobile is an excellent network when it works. But don't expect the coverage of a Verizon or AT&T. Tmobile exceeds Sprint on 4g LTE coverage but Sprint still has more legacy customers from it's CDMA network.

    The tide is turning now where Tmobile is in growth phase with it's lower price points and network has improved in some markets. Tmobile is the underdog 4G LTE carrier with more flexible pricing and does offer some decent speeds from some locations to boot. But still needs work and improvement and a merger with Softbank will be very helpful going forward.

    Obviously users can swap SIM cards and test the various networks on some devices. I have tried Tmobile and Verizon and Tmobile still has trouble spots on it's LTE network.

    Example: A queens NYC tower. Goes from 0 to 3 bars and switches between modes. Data freezes on transfer and no upload is working when you run a speed test. Called it in got 72 hour resolution after going through troubleshooting procedures. Issue still happens. So obviously the tower needs to be upgraded and with the MetroPCS acquisition could take awhile up to 2015 if it is upgraded at all.

    Speeds if the speed test even completes are up to 5Mbps on 4G with 0 Upload on this tower, obviously unacceptable. With the MetroPCS acquisition they have enough spectrum to fix this and the frequencies they have are plenty fine and they can correct this issue since Verizon, Sprint and even AT&T will work. Even Clearwire built out here. Tmobile dropped the ball on this market for whatever reason.

    I can't comment on all of Tmobiles markets but Queens NYC is a problem spot for them.

    If Tmobile fixes up this area I will probably stay and if not I'll switch to Verizon.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,145
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    What phone were you using during your test in Queens? If it's an iPhone, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

    Sure, T-Mobile has their trouble spots, but it goes without saying that everyone else does as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    What phone were you using during your test in Queens? If it's an iPhone, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

    Sure, T-Mobile has their trouble spots, but it goes without saying that everyone else does as well.
    It was the latest IPad which has been tested on Verizon and Tmobile in multiple locations. Should have been running on AWS band in the 1700s.

    Problem is not the device which has been tested with fast Tmobile speeds in another location inside the basement. My area has excellent signal from other carriers with higher frequency bands. Tmobile can fix this without issue.

    Tmobile has potential but it has work to do and Verizon still has the upper hand on the market as a whole.

    Tmobile has a problem with it's mail servers since it isn't accepting mails from where I sent it from. Did AT&T do it? Lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,116
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ajulius View Post
    Tmobile is an excellent network when it works. But don't expect the coverage of a Verizon or AT&T. Tmobile exceeds Sprint on 4g LTE coverage but Sprint still has more legacy customers from it's CDMA network.

    The tide is turning now where Tmobile is in growth phase with it's lower price points and network has improved in some markets. Tmobile is the underdog 4G LTE carrier with more flexible pricing and does offer some decent speeds from some locations to boot. But still needs work and improvement and a merger with Softbank will be very helpful going forward.

    Obviously users can swap SIM cards and test the various networks on some devices. I have tried Tmobile and Verizon and Tmobile still has trouble spots on it's LTE network.

    Example: A queens NYC tower. Goes from 0 to 3 bars and switches between modes. Data freezes on transfer and no upload is working when you run a speed test. Called it in got 72 hour resolution after going through troubleshooting procedures. Issue still happens. So obviously the tower needs to be upgraded and with the MetroPCS acquisition could take awhile up to 2015 if it is upgraded at all.

    Speeds if the speed test even completes are up to 5Mbps on 4G with 0 Upload on this tower, obviously unacceptable. With the MetroPCS acquisition they have enough spectrum to fix this and the frequencies they have are plenty fine and they can correct this issue since Verizon, Sprint and even AT&T will work. Even Clearwire built out here. Tmobile dropped the ball on this market for whatever reason.

    I can't comment on all of Tmobiles markets but Queens NYC is a problem spot for them.

    If Tmobile fixes up this area I will probably stay and if not I'll switch to Verizon.
    Again you're making no sense. Queens tower isn't a thing. Queens alone has hundreds of tMobile cell sites. I live in queens. In my area of Queens tMobile destroys all other operators in terms of coverage, cell density, peak download throughput or whatever you wanna call it.
    You're trolling at this point.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    844
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ajulius View Post
    Tmobile is an excellent network when it works. But don't expect the coverage of a Verizon or AT&T. Tmobile exceeds Sprint on 4g LTE coverage but Sprint still has more legacy customers from it's CDMA network.

    The tide is turning now where Tmobile is in growth phase with it's lower price points and network has improved in some markets. Tmobile is the underdog 4G LTE carrier with more flexible pricing and does offer some decent speeds from some locations to boot. But still needs work and improvement and a merger with Softbank will be very helpful going forward.

    Obviously users can swap SIM cards and test the various networks on some devices. I have tried Tmobile and Verizon and Tmobile still has trouble spots on it's LTE network.

    Example: A queens NYC tower. Goes from 0 to 3 bars and switches between modes. Data freezes on transfer and no upload is working when you run a speed test. Called it in got 72 hour resolution after going through troubleshooting procedures. Issue still happens. So obviously the tower needs to be upgraded and with the MetroPCS acquisition could take awhile up to 2015 if it is upgraded at all.

    Speeds if the speed test even completes are up to 5Mbps on 4G with 0 Upload on this tower, obviously unacceptable. With the MetroPCS acquisition they have enough spectrum to fix this and the frequencies they have are plenty fine and they can correct this issue since Verizon, Sprint and even AT&T will work. Even Clearwire built out here. Tmobile dropped the ball on this market for whatever reason.

    I can't comment on all of Tmobiles markets but Queens NYC is a problem spot for them.

    If Tmobile fixes up this area I will probably stay and if not I'll switch to Verizon.
    Can you email this info to [email protected]? And outline the fact you did the troubleshooting steps and the ticket created with no resolution.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    I already called in the issue to Tmobile and got the 72 hour deadline which came and went. They have the address information and everything. When I said Queens tower I meant a tower Inside the borough of Queens. I am well aware of the cell site maps and the like. My area is one of lots of antennas on buildings and fiber optics back haul which had been fully upgraded by multiple carriers and only Tmobile falls short here.

    Nothing new. I don't need to stay on top to make sure this tower is upgraded. I can get working service by using Verizon. But if they can resolve these issues then they should be able to get even more market share if they make this a priority for 2014.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Again you're making no sense. Queens tower isn't a thing. Queens alone has hundreds of tMobile cell sites. I live in queens. In my area of Queens tMobile destroys all other operators in terms of coverage, cell density, peak download throughput or whatever you wanna call it.
    You're trolling at this point.
    Not trolling and fully understanding of cell towers and who gets good coverage. Tmobile has the worst coverage in Queens. The coverage maps on Tmobile website are inaccurate. I use an application which displays carrier cell sites and coverage in each market.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,116
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ajulius View Post
    Not trolling and fully understanding of cell towers and who gets good coverage. Tmobile has the worst coverage in Queens. The coverage maps on Tmobile website are inaccurate. I use an application which displays carrier cell sites and coverage in each market.
    I don't use maps, I use my cell phones and can actually see what's going on. Your statement that T-Mobile has the worst coverage in Queens shows your lack of actual experience on T-Mobile's network. Which area in Queens are you talking about?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    443
    Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Again you're making no sense. Queens tower isn't a thing. Queens alone has hundreds of tMobile cell sites. I live in queens. In my area of Queens tMobile destroys all other operators in terms of coverage, cell density, peak download throughput or whatever you wanna call it.
    You're trolling at this point.
    I just want to add that I also have excellent data speeds in the area of Queens (northern) I live in. I also want to mention that I was pleasantly surprised to find out that T-Mobile increased their data speed from edge to 4G/Lte (in just a few months) in another part of Queens (Fresh Meadows) that always had 2g/edge data.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctechogirl View Post
    I just want to add that I also have excellent data speeds in the area of Queens (northern) I live in. I also want to mention that I was pleasantly surprised to find out that T-Mobile increased their data speed from edge to 4G/Lte (in just a few months) in another part of Queens (Fresh Meadows) that always had 2g/edge data.
    This was in Central Queens. Sprint towers show high bar consistent signal on 3G on the 1900 frequency while Tmobile 4G (unclear if its LTE or not) is only showing slow downstream speeds with no upstream in speed tests and it freezes on data constantly and cycles through various modes and this is on the 1700 AWS Spectrum.

    I reported it and escalated it again through Tmobile. I am not saying there aren't towers that are doing well, in fact I have seen a lot of towers doing quite well speed wise as well as signal wise. But this location where I am is problematic and shouldn't be and so obviously Tmobile needs to improve their network even more which I am more than sure they will do to keep their customer base. If I did a test analysis of Tmobile there obviously are spots with deficiencies that need to be addressed. But this deficiency isn't one of a band problem, it is one of an amplifier/spectrum/backhaul/tower placement problem (one or combination of those issues)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,116
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ajulius View Post
    This was in Central Queens. Sprint towers show high bar consistent signal on 3G on the 1900 frequency while Tmobile 4G (unclear if its LTE or not) is only showing slow downstream speeds with no upstream in speed tests and it freezes on data constantly and cycles through various modes and this is on the 1700 AWS Spectrum.

    I reported it and escalated it again through Tmobile. I am not saying there aren't towers that are doing well, in fact I have seen a lot of towers doing quite well speed wise as well as signal wise. But this location where I am is problematic and shouldn't be and so obviously Tmobile needs to improve their network even more which I am more than sure they will do to keep their customer base. If I did a test analysis of Tmobile there obviously are spots with deficiencies that need to be addressed. But this deficiency isn't one of a band problem, it is one of an amplifier/spectrum/backhaul/tower placement problem (one or combination of those issues)
    I can name you dozens of Verizon sites with similar behavior in NYC cellular market. Even more AT&T sites with all kinds of issues.
    Am I going to generalize a carrier's network performance as bad because there is a tilt issue on a single site in Central Queens? No. It would make me look idiotic.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    44
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ajulius View Post
    This was in Central Queens. Sprint towers show high bar consistent signal on 3G on the 1900 frequency while Tmobile 4G (unclear if its LTE or not) is only showing slow downstream speeds with no upstream in speed tests and it freezes on data constantly and cycles through various modes and this is on the 1700 AWS Spectrum.

    I reported it and escalated it again through Tmobile. I am not saying there aren't towers that are doing well, in fact I have seen a lot of towers doing quite well speed wise as well as signal wise. But this location where I am is problematic and shouldn't be and so obviously Tmobile needs to improve their network even more which I am more than sure they will do to keep their customer base. If I did a test analysis of Tmobile there obviously are spots with deficiencies that need to be addressed. But this deficiency isn't one of a band problem, it is one of an amplifier/spectrum/backhaul/tower placement problem (one or combination of those issues)
    Why is it unclear if its LTE or "4G?" iPads will clearly show LTE or 4G. How many "bars" are you showing? I notice you mention how many bars Sprint has, but not for T-Mobile -- are you in a low signal T-Mobile area? One 4G bar with really low signal strength is going to be hard to get much out of it. Your previous posts are full of vitriol about how AWS is awful and T-Mobile's signals don't work, but did you consider you might just live in a dead spot on the network?

    A dead spot in your location is still a big a problem, but it's a much different problem than you have been portraying in thread after thread with your comments about how T-Mobiles "AWS 1750" sucks and blah and blah.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,125
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ajulius View Post
    This was in Central Queens. Sprint towers show high bar consistent signal on 3G on the 1900 frequency while Tmobile 4G (unclear if its LTE or not) is only showing slow downstream speeds with no upstream in speed tests and it freezes on data constantly and cycles through various modes and this is on the 1700 AWS Spectrum.

    I reported it and escalated it again through Tmobile. I am not saying there aren't towers that are doing well, in fact I have seen a lot of towers doing quite well speed wise as well as signal wise. But this location where I am is problematic and shouldn't be and so obviously Tmobile needs to improve their network even more which I am more than sure they will do to keep their customer base. If I did a test analysis of Tmobile there obviously are spots with deficiencies that need to be addressed. But this deficiency isn't one of a band problem, it is one of an amplifier/spectrum/backhaul/tower placement problem (one or combination of those issues)
    You forgot att has AWS too in a handful of spots, and is trying to get more AWS to provide more capacity for their 700 Lte network? AWS isn't bad. Att's WCS spectrum will be worst that pcs or AWS.


    Sent with the HoFo App
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________



    Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    206
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    You forgot att has AWS too in a handful of spots, and is trying to get more AWS to provide more capacity for their 700 Lte network? AWS isn't bad. Att's WCS spectrum will be worst that pcs or AWS.


    Sent with the HoFo App
    I swapped back to a Verizon SIM and my location here works perfectly now. 2-3 bars of consistent Verizon coverage where I live and data works fine. Tmobile goes from no service up to 3 bars and cycles between bands with data not transferring.

    I did report issue to Tmobile but the fact is Verizon has a lot more locations with 4G LTE Nationwide and a lot more coverage. The 200MB Tmobile gives you isn't much but it was enough to get me to test out the network and the CEO was smart for offering it and for those markets where it works well, it does indeed have nice data speeds. If you live and work in well covered areas, and 200MB data is enough it is a good deal. If you wind up paying for the data, the data rates aren't really better than Verizon proper but you could find speeds higher in certain locations.

    For me I find Verizon is just there when I need it and I don't have to worry about carriers. In fact many see it the same way I do. I understand Tmobile's growth and indeed in markets where it works well, it isn't bad at all.

    I wish TMobile the best going forward. But competition and markets are aggressive and I as consumer get choice.

    I do admit the market is really commanded and controlled and there is an unfair advantage where Verizon always has the best network due to the equipment on the towers to the best choice spectrum and largest total footprint.

    AT&T and Verizon do extremely well. Tmobile and Sprint leave a lot to be desired but Tmobile has outpaced Sprint in regards to 4G LTE in terms of speeds and network reliability which leave it as an alternative to AT&T and Verizon but the cost savings is not significant especially when it comes to the data plans. TMobile has more of a kicker to get you started such as a FREE sim and free data but I wouldn't have chosen a locked or native Tmobile device.

    I did learn however that in areas where Tmobile works, the speeds were decent with speeds like 18Mbps with 8Mbps upload speeds and the network works quite well.

    Tmobile is indeed an alternative but if you are a serious business customer, you'll want more coverage. I agree that TMobile has potential for the future and we will see where it goes from here.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,116
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    So you're complaining but also liking T-Mobile. And if you ran out of 200MB of free data of course the service won't be as good...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Just switched to Verizon from T-Mobile
    By RonNorth6969 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2002, 05:41 PM
  2. verizon vs t-mobile vs sprint vs at&t in denver and....
    By conkhi4u in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-10-2002, 12:30 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2002, 11:39 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2002, 11:35 AM
  5. Bell Verizon to Bell Mobility...
    By Downy in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2002, 08:57 PM

Bookmarks