Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Verizon vs T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    I am saying Tmobile gives decent speeds in certain coverage pockets in some areas. The locations I used it in, including WIFI equipped so Tmobile usage wasn't even necessary indoors. The small amount of data given was good enough to test the network. But as a total whole if you move around and use this device everywhere Verizon just works when you want it to.

Manhattan outdoors, Tmobile worked fine with 5 bars coverage. For in building coverage, the 700Mhz Verizon coverage would have been superior and provided a coverage advantage.

Verizon will just work when you need it to and in many more locations. Tmobile sucks you in because you think the pricing is cheaper on the free data plan but when you add data to it you are spending just as much as Verizon for worse coverage.

I saw the free roaming deal and its just 128k. If I really want to use roaming I would use a global sim or roam with Verizon or use the foreign carrier sim.

So my overall experience is I will stick with Verizon. I wouldn't call the market real competition since Verizon literally creams the other carriers. John Legere did give the appearance of competition which is why I wanted to try the network for myself. But it fell short of my expectations especially when you take into account the charges for paid data and what pricing will be.

Tmobile is a carrier where in certain pockets you will get faster coverage than Verizon. But less overall coverage and Verizon is also increasing speeds as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajulius View Post
    I wouldn't call the market real competition since Verizon literally creams the other carriers.
    If that is the case then why are they "creaming" T-Mobile in LTE speeds last quarter. Why did T-Mobile actually beat them?

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix...cle&ID=1889173

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If that is the case then why are they "creaming" T-Mobile in LTE speeds last quarter. Why did T-Mobile actually beat them?

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix...cle&ID=1889173
    On the Verizon forums they were saying they were actually using Verizon's bands in the test unfairly. I know what I saw on actual towers and the speeds were around 18/8 in locations where it worked. Do I believe this would exceed Verizon? Yes because Verizon built out on the 700 which gave more coverage. Only now is it building AWS towers. Verizon has superior back haul capabilities on the fiber optics side.

Tmobile had a short term advantage against Verizon on speed but this advantage will be gone going forward.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On the Verizon forums they were saying they were actually using Verizon's bands in the test unfairly. I know what I saw on actual towers and the speeds were around 18/8 in locations where it worked. Do I believe this would exceed Verizon? Yes because Verizon built out on the 700 which gave more coverage. Only now is it building AWS towers. Verizon has superior back haul capabilities on the fiber optics side.

Tmobile had a short term advantage against Verizon on speed but this advantage will be gone going forward.
    Oh, it absolutely will be gone moving forward? Interesting turn of events!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am saying Tmobile gives decent speeds in certain coverage pockets in some areas. The locations I used it in, including WIFI equipped so Tmobile usage wasn't even necessary indoors. The small amount of data given was good enough to test the network. But as a total whole if you move around and use this device everywhere Verizon just works when you want it to.

Manhattan outdoors, Tmobile worked fine with 5 bars coverage. For in building coverage, the 700Mhz Verizon coverage would have been superior and provided a coverage advantage.

Verizon will just work when you need it to and in many more locations. Tmobile sucks you in because you think the pricing is cheaper on the free data plan but when you add data to it you are spending just as much as Verizon for worse coverage.

I saw the free roaming deal and its just 128k. If I really want to use roaming I would use a global sim or roam with Verizon or use the foreign carrier sim.

So my overall experience is I will stick with Verizon. I wouldn't call the market real competition since Verizon literally creams the other carriers. John Legere did give the appearance of competition which is why I wanted to try the network for myself. But it fell short of my expectations especially when you take into account the charges for paid data and what pricing will be.

Tmobile is a carrier where in certain pockets you will get faster coverage than Verizon. But less overall coverage and Verizon is also increasing speeds as well.
    All i can say is i get unlimited data at full lte/4g speeds. Where i am. I actually travel i am a flight attendant...

Feedback Score
    On the Verizon forums they were saying they were actually using Verizon's bands in the test unfairly.
    Who cares what they say in the Verizon forums. What counts is what Ookla said. And what Ookla said is that the T-Mobile LTE tests were faster than Verizon LTE tests during the fourth quarter 2013. Your own personal tests don't make Verizon's LTE any faster as a whole.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

And Verizon will have a short term advantage of very few people having AWS-capable handsets. Once they do, speeds will come down. It's a cycle and someone will always be on top. Verizon was absolutely not on top in NYC in Q4. I'm most exited by all the competition in the wireless space. It can only make things better for us, the consumers.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    While TMobile was getting speeds of 18/8, Verizon has been getting very high speeds even higher than Tmobile where their new AWS band towers have come online.

Audi had a contract with Tmobile for Audi Telematics but AT&T pulled the contract away on new models going forward. Obviously deals like these were helping TMobile with revenue. Audi customers likely wanted greater coverage. Audi likely listened to its customers when it swapped from Tmobile. Audi is a German company and so they supported Deutsche Telekom the parent of Tmobile even though coverage was worse for multiple years.

Tmobile is the needle in the haystack. It does better in select location on speed, but has rough spots in the network and lack of coverage.

John Legere has been successfully able to tout Speed since Tmobile has been able to get the speed up and truth be told, it is a better network than Sprint proper right now which has abysmal speeds and so Tmobile is really stealing customers from Sprint rather than taking any true marketshare away from Verizon and AT&T. Obviously someone who doesn't mind the limited coverage but wants a higher speed may be inclined to use Tmobile. But serious business users who have money to burn and require best of breed coverage will use Verizon and/or AT&T.

Tmobile is like the toy carrier. It isn't really good for serious business usage but for lets say a family or someone just using the internet to play around who wants the high speeds it will work in places.

Feedback Score
    John Legre and the rest of the staff has really turned this ship around. When Tmobile launches LTE service on 700A, these other carriers might really start to get scared (#RANDAL). Seriously tho, im proud to be a Tmobile customer.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has superior back haul capabilities on the fiber optics side.
    Oh they do? Elaborate a bit on that. Which superior backhaul capabilities are you referring to?

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2