Thread: well I dropped my Lumia 820 in toilet

Feedback Score

well I dropped my Lumia 820 in toilet

my lumia 820 fell out of pocket and landed in water. I have dried it with a hair dryer and it booted up once but soon shut down and now it was died. Any suggestions? I do have an extra battery from mpj which I've heard would add a little power. Should I try the new now or leave the phone in a bag of rice first?? And I have insurance on my phone, can I get a replacement phone?

Feedback Score
    Try the new battery, and if not working, you should be able to get it replaced but the carrier will force you to pay extra replacement fee.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 on ST&t
    Carrier(s)
    ST on AT&T SIM
    Feedback Score
    Dropping a device in liquid is usually the end for it, be it from not powering on, to your insurance not replacing it. Be prepared to buy a new phone. Good luck.
    *who was phone?*

;3

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 56none View Post
    Try the new battery, and if not working, you should be able to get it replaced but the carrier will force you to pay extra replacement fee.
    You are right.......I also agree with you.

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Wait!!!!!!!! Don't bury it yet!!!!! My daughter plopped her captivate glide in the toilet, and we rescued it and brought it back to life. Do not power it on any more. This is important. You may have fried it already, but get a bag of raw rice. Doesn't matter what kind. bury your phone in it with the back off and the battery out. LEAVE it in the rice bag- zip locked, for at least 2 days. Give it a shake once in a while. Then put in your battery and try to power it up.

The most important thing when your phone gets really wet like this is to NOT POWER it on. Let it dry out first- for at least a couple days, and use a hair dryer sparingly to get most of the water out initially. Then power it on and most cases it will com back to you for at least a couple months. Hers lasted 8 more months. And she is very hard on her phone. Good luck.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
    Wait!!!!!!!! Don't bury it yet!!!!! My daughter plopped her captivate glide in the toilet, and we rescued it and brought it back to life. Do not power it on any more. This is important. You may have fried it already, but get a bag of raw rice. Doesn't matter what kind. bury your phone in it with the back off and the battery out. LEAVE it in the rice bag- zip locked, for at least 2 days. Give it a shake once in a while. Then put in your battery and try to power it up.

The most important thing when your phone gets really wet like this is to NOT POWER it on. Let it dry out first- for at least a couple days, and use a hair dryer sparingly to get most of the water out initially. Then power it on and most cases it will com back to you for at least a couple months. Hers lasted 8 more months. And she is very hard on her phone. Good luck.
    Agreed. After the mandatory drying period plug in through the adaptor too. And good luck

Daniel

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Would love to know what happened with it Daniel. Post back please with a dead or alive post!

Feedback Score
    Love the title, "well I dropped my Lumia 820 in toilet"

Makes me smile the way it's said.

Hope you're sorted.

And just noted Hofo's Similar Threads at the bottom of the page. All those titles in a row did make me chuckle.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post

Rice is imperative. Hair dryer is a mistake. The idea is to get the water out. Hair dryers, while generating heat, BLOW the air and water back into the internals of the phone. Wipe the phone off, get the water dry everywhere you can. Then rice, it is a desicant. It absorbs water. Instant rice is best because it is so very dry.