Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Black Wireless experience so far

Feedback Score

Black Wireless experience so far

It's been a few days since I ported so I just wanted to give a status update...

Overall the porting experience was pretty good. I started it late afternoon on Friday and roughly 24 hours later my Straight Talk SIM was disabled. Swapped over to the Black Wireless one and things were MOSTLY working at that point..

Couple notes

The Bad
    1) MMS/Data Setup on an iPhone
    Is awful! On their site they tell you to send a text to a number for a config file (Carrier Update), you install that and guess what? MMS still doesn't work! Really? Come on guys! That should work straight away!

If you go to H2o's site do you know what they tell you to do to get it working? Jailbreak your phone and install Pirated software, no kidding! REALLY? That's really pretty shady guys, you're a communications company and you're instructing people how to steal software! Tsk Tsk!

I ended up doing the SIM swap method to get this working, or if you're jailbroken there are a couple APN editors up on Cydia that you don't have to steal!

The Good
    1) Black/H2o don't seem to kill your data connections
    I was with Straight Talk, but found (as others did) that they muck around with your data and seem to kill idle TCP connections very aggressively. With an iPhone what you see are notifications and things like iMessages coming down in bursts instead of realtime as they should... SUPER annoying and the reason why I left!

iPhone Note
    1) After my port took place it took another 24 hours for my phone to be able to register with Apple and begin using iMessages or Facetime. I guess the registration process for those involve sending some sort of SMS short code to verify your phone is actually what it says it is. So however that process works it takes Apple another 24 hours to actually start seeing that you're on another carrier. It seems to be just another part of the process, no rip on Black..

The one thing that concerns me a bit is that people have mentioned that Black starts throttling you WAY before your data cap. I'm usually right around 2 gigs so it'll be interesting to see what happens. If they do it I'm going to bail, please! I paid for 2 gigs I deserve 2 gigs without complaint!

I'm traveling this weekend so it'll be interesting to see how Black rates vs at&t for voice and data coverage, hopefully I won't notice a difference!

-RT

Feedback Score
    Well, I can say that the Coverage map for Black Wireless / H2o is complete BS, they just took the Post-Paid map and reused it! This weekend I was in an area that shows coverage via a partner and friends of mine had coverage with at&t (Partner), but I did not. Data is one thing, but I didn't even have voice! Come on!

I guess I'm not surprised, but I wish their map wasn't completely made up..

Hmmmmm.. Now the question is am I actually going to get better coverage if I go with AIO, or Go-Phone, or do you really need to go Post-Paid to actually get acceptable coverage?

The search goes on..

-RT

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Acceptable coverage is based on location. Most prepaid mvno's are native coverage only. So pick the one mvno that runs on the carrier that has the best native coverage in your area.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- OmniRom lollipop 5.1.1 -- LTE enabled
    Alcatel Idol 3 ------- Stock lollipop -- 5.0.2
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: Moto G, F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    APNEedit software is not pirated software. And jailbreaking or getting root access is not illegal.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    @Hershey, well what's annoying is the fact that if you look at Black's coverage map they specifically state that they have partner coverage which is just completely false. 95% of the time I'm fine with the coverage that's provided by Black or probably the other MVNO's, but it's the 5% that I want at least voice services just in case, ya know? I wonder if I'm really going to have to go back to post-paid to be happy..

Grrrr...

@Blacksurfer Right, APNEdit is not pirated. They're instructing users to get TetherMe which is pay from a cracked software Repo, that is illegal and in poor taste..

I'm all about Jailbreaking, not stealing people's software, especially from the Jailbreak community..

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I agree, it looks like they just copy and pasted the normal At&t map. I would go by the gophone map (no partner roaming) over at the at&t website.

http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
    Select gophone prepaid on the left header.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, looking at the Go-Phone map it's pretty much what I experienced. I guess considering everything I'm paying $50 vs $76 for Post-Paid at&t per month. So I'm saving over $300 a year, it works fine 95% of the time so overall it's a good value. I realize you can't get the exact SAME service for less money, that just doesn't happen!

Thinking about it I do have emergency services on my car so if the time ever comes I could use that because that should work everywhere, at least that's the hope!

Unless Black screws around and throttles me WAY before my data limit I'll probably stick with them because it works and saves me $$$

-RT

Feedback Score
    I'm anxious to hear about their throttling policies as well. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew04 View Post
    I'm anxious to hear about their throttling policies as well. Thanks!

Me to, I've heard that H2O Wireless throttles at 3GBs

Sent with the HoFo App
    TheTechKing

Feedback Score
    I'm only about 500 megs in right now so I don't think I'll get anywhere near the limit this month.. We'll see..

-RT

Feedback Score
    Well if your still short on day 28 or 29, start to really push it and see what the limits are. Bunch of speed tests, download a large file, etc.

Feedback Score
    Well, I hit 1 gig of data and guess what happened?! I got throttled! I now don't even get Edge speeds! I promptly did a chat with their CSR and here's what they told me:

You get 2 gigs of data, 1 gig is high speed, the other is throttled (more liked CHOKED!) and after 2 gigs data is cut off COMPLETELY!

Nowhere does it state that you only get 1 gig of high speed data, then it's throttled and it definitely doesn't say it's cut off completely after 2 gigs!

Soooo, with that I'll be ordering my AIO SIM and will be jumping ship ASAP!

Stay far FAR away from Black Wireless, they're about as shady as you can get!

- RT

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Re: Stay far FAR away from Black Wireless, they're about as shady as you can get!

I'm beginning to wonder myself. I order 3 sims and even though the site says in progress they told me via the phone they were shipped. Turns out they weren't. They shipped the two other order for the buy 2 get 3 free promo. I'll call in in the morning to request a refund. I think i'll keep my other 3 lines with H2O and not port them to BW.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, don't bother! I'll have to look at the H2o offers, but from what I saw it seems to be the same as Black..

I really want to pay for a gig of data that I really can't use!

Seems that you really want to avoid these guys in general, what a bunch of scammers!

Now if I only knew what my account # was I'd already have my AIO sim ordered! Stinks that I need to have all that info to order my AIO SIM and start the transfer, I can't do it after I get the SIM!

-RT

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    True story: You guys know I would "big up" a company like I've been praising H2O and offering advice based on my experience.
    But the customer service dude at Blackwireless actually started to yell and me stating that I told you yesterday the three sims were mailed. I politely said, "Sir, I'm not here to scream back and forth, I just want to sort this out.". I explained the three sims weren't mailed and to prove it furnish me the three FAST ACT code that were sent. Finally he must've realized he was wrong and transferred me without apologizing to another person that credited back my credit card. Wow! So needless to say I'm not porting my other three lines. they're staying with H2O and when the third month is up on my two lines transferred I'm porting out.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast