Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Straight Talk CDMA get Verizon postpaid coverage now?

Feedback Score

Does Straight Talk CDMA get Verizon postpaid coverage now?

http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/coverage.php

If you look at the coverage maps, there're places shown where Verizon prepaid doesn't get coverage (like most of Kentucky and West Virginia). Has this changed?

Feedback Score
    Also, Alaska is supposed to be roaming for Verizon prepaid, but it's shown as full coverage on Straight Talk's CDMA map.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post

If you look at the coverage maps, there're places shown where Verizon prepaid doesn't get coverage (like most of Kentucky and West Virginia). Has this changed?
    I don't think so. There's been different maps floating around but another one on ST's website shows no service where Verizon has roaming. (http://www.straighttalkswitch.com/#panel-map) According to what I've read on here, and based on those maps, AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs allow roaming but Verizon and Sprint phones do not.

Tracfone independently makes roaming agreements with these smaller carriers, just like the larger carriers. My guess as to why Verizon and Sprint on ST don't have roaming is because U.S. Cellular (a major roaming provider for Verizon and Sprint) asked for too much money, and Tracfone didn't think it was worth it.

Name:  map.png
Views: 45493
Size:  103.2 KB

Feedback Score
    Then why would they advertise coverage in Alaska on their CDMA map? I understand if TracFone is just being shady and overlapping Sprint and Verizon coverage, but neither Sprint nor Verizon have coverage in Alaska.

Feedback Score
    Then why would they advertise coverage in Alaska on their CDMA map? I understand if TracFone is just being shady and overlapping Sprint and Verizon coverage, but neither Sprint nor Verizon have coverage in Alaska.
    My guess is that they were just lazy making it and used Verizon's postpaid map. The maps I attached seem to be the accurate ones. Verizon has LTE coverage in Alaska, but I wouldn't expect ST to include that.

Feedback Score

straight talk verizon coverage is the same as verizon prepaid which is non roaming and you get 3G only and no LTE.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have heard that Verizon BYOP is on post-paid while the regular phones are on the Pre-paid network (with no roaming) sadly I have no proof to back this up. I ran a Droid X on BYOP for a while but never left my usual area of operation.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrum View Post
    I have heard that Verizon BYOP is on post-paid while the regular phones are on the Pre-paid network (with no roaming) sadly I have no proof to back this up. I ran a Droid X on BYOP for a while but never left my usual area of operation.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I think it's the other way around. Basic phones sold through ST can have access to roaming but not for data, and BYOP customers don't have any access to roaming (on Verizon's network). The maps I posted earlier were for BYOP customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    I think it's the other way around. Basic phones sold through ST can have access to roaming but not for data, and BYOP customers don't have any access to roaming (on Verizon's network). The maps I posted earlier were for BYOP customers.
    coverage is the same for both phones sold through ST and BYOP - prepaid verizon non roaming 3G only and non LTE.

Feedback Score
    I can confirm that Straight Talk branded Verizon phones get no roaming coverage. I had no coverage on my ZTE Majesty several months ago when I was in rural Kentucky.

Feedback Score
    I can confirm that Straight Talk branded Verizon phones get no roaming coverage. I had no coverage on my ZTE Majesty several months ago when I was in rural Kentucky.
    I submitted a BBB complaint due to this issue approximately 3 months ago IIRC. Every attempt Tracfone made to contact me I returned the calls and emails, however they just kept saying I was not attempting to contact them (blowing me off). After the 3rd attempt including a FedEx'd letter they stated they would consider my case closed due to me not returning their contact requests.

I submitted another BBB complaint about them blowing me off including the dates, times, and those contacted via email or phone and stated I was being ignored.

About 3 days after that BBB complaint, someone actually returned my call. We discussed the maps at length and they eventually 100% agreed with me. They said it was a marketing issue and they would follow up with me in 2 weeks after it had been taken care of. Obviously, the issue never got taken care of and they are, in effect, advertising VZ post-paid coverage under their BYOP plans at least yet it is only native Verizon coverage.

People on here stated it was my fault for not typing in the zip codes I would use the phone in, however IMO that is a fools point. One cannot reasonably be expected to type in every single zip code they use or will use their phone in in the future. Consumers depend on semi-accurate maps to delineate what major areas are covered and missing almost entire states is a big deal. I told the Tracfone rep I understand the maps are general use only, but why even go through the trouble of making a map? Why not just have a picture of the US on it all filled in? Obviously they generated the map somewhere from some information they had on hand.

In the end the product is still a good deal, but not accurately represented.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I don't think they ecpect you to type all zip codes. Just the one you will be using it in most!

Feedback Score
    I have a straight talk Iphone 5 on the CDMA network and when I drove through KY 3 weeks ago I had no signal the entire time.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    yeap if you in bluegrass coverage are you get no verizon per pay coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    yeap if you in bluegrass coverage are you get no verizon per pay coverage.
    Can someone translate this in English please?

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast