Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 5 on AT&T MVNO or subsidiary? Which one for 4G/LTE at best price/carrier?

Feedback Score

iPhone 5 on AT&T MVNO or subsidiary? Which one for 4G/LTE at best price/carrier?

A friend is selling me his old iPhone 5 (8 months old) when he gets his new 5s in a few days. It's unlocked and currently on TMobile prepaid, but Tmo in this area is pretty bad--sketchy coverage in town (Indy) and then just disappears in the outer suburbs. Forget using it on road trips.

So I'm going to switch it to an AT&T network MVNO. I have had a wonky old Android on VM for years, so if I'm paying for the phone (less than half price) I want to make sure I don't cripple it by using a network with spotty coverage or a company that doesn't have 4G/LTE.

But I also need a decent price. My wonky old Android is on a grandfathered VM plan that hasn't been available for around 4-5 years ($25 for unlimited everything). I am thinking of giving this one to my son, number and all, to see if he can flash a better ROM and get more life out of it. But I'm going for the iPhone.

Recommendations? Warnings?

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Not really, but if your son doesn't think your Optimus V is cool enough, let me know...I collect antiques. (In fact, I'm writing to you now from ours)
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    Not really, but if your son doesn't think your Optimus V is cool enough, let me know...I collect antiques. (In fact, I'm writing to you now from ours)
    Hah! LOL, it's not even that recent...

Another thought: roaming to other networks is not completely necessary, I don't think, because AT&T's coverage is pretty good, but it would be nice.

Device(s)
    Samsung x427m
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    You didn't say how much service you need.
    And while LTE is the latest cool buzzword, it's probably not "necessary".
    The first obvious choice is $45/mo for 2500mb LTE, unlimited text, talk, and 411 calls: StraightTalk (sim=$7)
    I just moved to $30/mo with 500mb, unlimited text and talk, but no LTE: H2o (sim= 10˘)
    Those are two AT&T MVNO reference points to get you started.
    now with H2O, after Straight Talk LTE sim debacle 4th Quarter 2013.
    Currently on locked AT&T iPhone 4S. (backup: iPhone 4)
    iOS: 7.1.2, carrier: AT&T 16.0 , modem: 5.2.00 , Data & MMS just fine.
    Previously at: iOS 6.1.3, carrier 14.2, modem 3.4.03 .

Feedback Score
    I want high speeds because a big part of the reason I'm getting the phone is to have a way to use apps when I'm not around wifi. I have an Android tablet I use a lot on wifi. But there are a number of things I need to do in the car or when I'm out (which is a lot) that I can't do with it. So I anticipate having at least 2G of data a month, at least. I probably won't be watching many videos on it, but there are a bunch of other things I will need, like a location-aware todo/shopping list.

I don't do a lot of talking but I do sometimes go over my 300 min./mo. And once my son goes back overseas for the summer I will likely be needing unlimited talk/text for international too, but I don't necessarily need it right now.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracebooks View Post
    I want high speeds because a big part of the reason I'm getting the phone is to have a way to use apps when I'm not around wifi. I have an Android tablet I use a lot on wifi. But there are a number of things I need to do in the car or when I'm out (which is a lot) that I can't do with it. So I anticipate having at least 2G of data a month, at least. I probably won't be watching many videos on it, but there are a bunch of other things I will need, like a location-aware todo/shopping list.

I don't do a lot of talking but I do sometimes go over my 300 min./mo. And once my son goes back overseas for the summer I will likely be needing unlimited talk/text for international too, but I don't necessarily need it right now.
    I'm giving Black Wireless a try. Like H2O, and in some way, affiliated. Their plans were - as of yesterday - still half off your first month, which is why I gave them a try. Most of their plans include a generous helping of international calling, too, which might come in handy for you.
    Self-professed gadget geek, serial phone-tryer-outer.
    iOS, Android, BB10, Windows...it's all good.

Currently?
    Main lines:
    Iphone SE x2, Samsung J7: TMO Select Market Family Match
    Iphone 5s Tracfone

How many active SIMs does one person need?

Device(s)
    Samsung x427m
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    Your local Wal-Mart has the StraightTalk starter kit with a $45 subscription card and several sizes of Sims.
    Somewhere around $60 - 65; Check and see.
    Just make sure it contains a "nano" sim (the latest ones do).
    All iPhone 5 - series handsets use nano: 5, 5C, 5S.
    The iPhone 4 and 4S use larger micro Sims.
    Many Android handsets use a still larger size.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anole View Post
    Your local Wal-Mart has the StraightTalk starter kit with a $45 subscription card and several sizes of Sims.
    Somewhere around $60 - 65; Check and see.
    Just make sure it contains a "nano" sim (the latest ones do).
    All iPhone 5 - series handsets use nano: 5, 5C, 5S.
    The iPhone 4 and 4S use larger micro Sims.
    Many Android handsets use a still larger size.
    Doesn't StraightTalk throttle after 2GB or 2.5GB? That's the one thing holding me back from them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stessT View Post
    I'm giving Black Wireless a try. Like H2O, and in some way, affiliated. Their plans were - as of yesterday - still half off your first month, which is why I gave them a try. Most of their plans include a generous helping of international calling, too, which might come in handy for you.
    Those are two I'm really thinking about.

Also thinking about Red Pocket, but I am really confused about why their 4G plan and their GMS plans are separate.

Feedback Score

Also thinking about Red Pocket, but I am really confused about why their 4G plan and their GMS plans are separate.
    One is called GSMA and the other GSMT, so I suppose the first is AT&T and the second is T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    I went just now to check on my account. Black Wireless has a new deal going now, not the half off. This time, you pay for two months and get the third month free.
    Last edited by stessT; 01-19-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Don't screw around. Get reliable LTE on Att gophone. Aio is slower and is going to be merged with Cricket soon. Net10 is part of good ol' unreliable Tracfone. None of the other Att mvnos even offer anything faster then hspa+ 21 which is half the speed of Tmobile's mvnos' hspa+ 42 system. There are regularly 10 percent discounts on Calling mart for Gophone , you can find refills anywhere vs Att mvnos, CS is good, and their LTE is faster then Net10 or Aio's versions.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    AT&T GoPhone at $60 for 2GB is the fastest and most reliable.
    Aio is $55 for 2GB, but LTE speeds are capped (under 10mbps I believe).
    Straight Talk is $45 for 2.5GB. Higher ping times, so so customer service.

All the above are official iPhone carriers so all settings self configure, and have AT&T LTE.

If you go with another MVNO, you'll have to jailbreak to setup picture messaging settings, and you won't get LTE.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Consumer Cellular has LTE for Iphone 5, 5s and 5c at $30 for 2GB of data. Voice and text are a separate package you add to the data.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with GoPhone for now, just to see what it's "supposed" to be like. From here I might branch out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast