Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are calls dropped when switching from 3G/HSPA+ to 2G?

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    Here's what I'm wondering: Is it possible to force the phone (Galaxy S4) to use 2G automatically for phone calls only? I'm sure it's less loaded, and since the signal can generally go farther and is stronger, that might be better.
    So a few things. There could be multiple factors at play. Can you verify that there's a UMTS->GSM handoff happening in that area, or is it just really low UMTS signal? Also, while GSM *should* have a lower load, with the refarm that may not always be a guarantee like it was a year ago. Without more detail (ie exact location, signal strength, etc) it's difficult to give an accurate recommendation.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    So a few things. There could be multiple factors at play. Can you verify that there's a UMTS->GSM handoff happening in that area, or is it just really low UMTS signal? Also, while GSM *should* have a lower load, with the refarm that may not always be a guarantee like it was a year ago. Without more detail (ie exact location, signal strength, etc) it's difficult to give an accurate recommendation.
    I've driven along the roads a few times, noticing generally strong signals for both LTE and "4G"/3G. If her GS4 is anything like my iPhone 5s, the phone would rather choose "searching..." over switching to 2G, but I don't think that's what happened anyway. I'll drive where she did later in the week, but I'm pretty positive her signal strengths were fine. I think I'll get her a windshield mount for her phone so that it's not tucked away deep inside her purse.

Feedback Score
    No

It happens when ya go from 3g to 2g

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snarf7 View Post
    No

It happens when ya go from 3g to 2g

Sent with the HoFo App
    Isn't that contradictory?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I went through the same area this morning, and the call dropped at the same exact spot, as expected. I paid more attention to the signal this time. It had 3 bars just prior to the audio stopping, going down to 1 where it would say call failed soon after. After a few more seconds, I had a strong signal that worked. It seems that there might be some handoff problems?

I decided to try the 2G idea on my iPhone 5s (had to change some carrier files so that I could even put the thing in 2G-only mode), and the call held on just fine. I'm assuming it's because the 2G signal was already strong to where switching towers wouldn't have impacted anything.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    So I went through the same area this morning, and the call dropped at the same exact spot, as expected. I paid more attention to the signal this time. It had 3 bars just prior to the audio stopping, going down to 1 where it would say call failed soon after. After a few more seconds, I had a strong signal that worked. It seems that there might be some handoff problems?

I decided to try the 2G idea on my iPhone 5s (had to change some carrier files so that I could even put the thing in 2G-only mode), and the call held on just fine. I'm assuming it's because the 2G signal was already strong to where switching towers wouldn't have impacted anything.
    Sounds like a network configuration problem on their end. Maybe give customer service a call and report the issue. Calls are supposed to hand off from 3G to 2G automatically. In fact, I can attest that ever call I make from my T-Mobile phone in my office at work starts off on 3G then drops to 2G about 5-10 seconds after the call connects, as there is only weak 3G service in my building.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Sounds like a network configuration problem on their end. Maybe give customer service a call and report the issue. Calls are supposed to hand off from 3G to 2G automatically. In fact, I can attest that ever call I make from my T-Mobile phone in my office at work starts off on 3G then drops to 2G about 5-10 seconds after the call connects, as there is only weak 3G service in my building.
    I emailed T-Force and got a quick response saying that a case has been opened. This was at least a week ago and I haven't heard back from anybody since. Might send another email.

Could power lines potentially make this happen? Going one direction on this particular road has problems, but going back the other way, there are no problems at all, so I'm not entirely sure that they would. Although when going the problem direction, it does happen to die where there are power lines (probably doesn't affect going the other way since it's already connected to the stronger signal).

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here's an interesting issue I have been having lately: when I leave my HSPA+ coverage area and go into an EDGE/2G coverage area, my iPhone 5 will periodically (at least 2-3 times per week) never find the 2G tower, until I shut off the phone's radios (i.e. airplane mode) and turn them back on.
    Mr. Brown
    T-Mobile on 64GB Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown2195 View Post
    Here's an interesting issue I have been having lately: when I leave my HSPA+ coverage area and go into an EDGE/2G coverage area, my iPhone 5 will periodically (at least 2-3 times per week) never find the 2G tower, until I shut off the phone's radios (i.e. airplane mode) and turn them back on.
    Well, that's the iPhone for ya! It just seems to be very poorly optimized for T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Well, that's the iPhone for ya! It just seems to be very poorly optimized for T-Mobile.
    I would say it goes beyond poorly optimized. It's actually crippled on T-Mobile. I have a Sprint iPhone 4S that I use on a T-Mobile MVNO. The phone is unlocked using a GPP SIM, meaning it loads the "default" carrier bundle that would be used when using a SIM card from an unsupported carrier, meaning there is no optimization whatsoever, it just connects to whatever it can find.

My iPhone 5S goes to "Searching" or "No Service", sometimes until I toggle airplane mode, but usually just for 20-30 seconds, even when I'm in HSPA or LTE service areas. It does usually happen when I was in a building or on EDGE first. The 4S, with no AWS support and no specific carrier bundle loaded, always has service, whether it's EDGE or 3G. In fact, it seems to hold 3G (on PCS obviously) better than the 5S that HAS all the right bands.

I sure hope they can fix those issues in the next release. Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's sort of relevant and a major annoyance considering the phone seems to work great on all other carriers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    FWIW: T-Mobile's 2G coverage map (http://maps.eng.t-mobile.com/) shows lower signal strength in a lot of areas compared to 3G/4G/LTE, but as I expected, I had a solid 4 to 5 bars everywhere during my little bit of testing (strong raw signal dB reading, too).

Still waiting for a response from T-Force.

Feedback Score
    So the worry that I've had prior to switching my parents over to T-Mobile from AT&T has hit me: dropped calls and quality issues. My mother's reporting a few dropped calls in one location in particular (which I've been able to replicate, and I've submitted some info to T-Force). She's also reporting calls where you can't understand the person on the other end, or there's quite a bit of static.

Here's what I'm wondering: Is it possible to force the phone (Galaxy S4) to use 2G automatically for phone calls only? I'm sure it's less loaded, and since the signal can generally go farther and is stronger, that might be better.
    Yes, you can choose for calls to go through 2G only by going into your dialer and dialing *#2263# and selecting LTE/GSM. The only negative with that is slow/no data during your call.

Sent from my SGH-T889

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    She isn't the one to use data while on a call anyway, so that wouldn't a problem. Falling back to EDGE instead of 3G might be, though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Calls are supposed to hand over to 2G but it doesn't always happen. When I pull into my house, if my phone is still holding on to the weak HSPA signal the call will drop and not hand off.
    Bye!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The thing I'm noticing with this situation is that the phones will seem to want to hold onto the connection for as long as possible instead of switching to the stronger one. I'll have 3 bars/dots, but before the call fails, it'll drop down to 2, then 1. Within a few seconds of the call actually failing, it'll go up to 4 or 5, after connecting to the stronger signal. Really annoying at this point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast