Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LTE Advanced Rollout

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It looks like AT&T's VoLTE launch has been pushed back and they are not speculating on a new date: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ate/2014-02-26

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh
    When do you think we'll be seeing LTE Advanced from AT&T and the other carriers? And the phones to support the network? AT&T and Verizon have stated that they're mostly finished rolling out LTE, so it can't be too long.
    I see Sprint potentially having the first crack at being the first to deploy LTE Advanced. They already have the spectrum to do it, they are the first ones to publicly acknowledge (AFAIK) that they were able to test speeds up to 1 Gbps, and are currently trying to get their network to be LTE Advanced out of the box. T-Mobile already claims they can support LTE Advanced but it likely won't include carrier aggregation. AT&T and Verizon Wireless are either too busy expanding their LTE networks (mainly AT&T) or too busy adding in new capacity with AWS and PCS because demand is skyrocketing.

AT&T is also trying to get Multi-Frequency Band Indicator (MFBI) rolled out by September 30, 2015 so their 700 MHz network will operate as a Band 12 and 17 network. That's a fairly tight schedule to get something this complicated to get properly working and rolled out.

Honestly, I think VoLTE will come out first for wireless carriers, even if AT&T hasn't said anything.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 02-27-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    So it looks like here's what you've got

LTE-Advanced Release 12 -- I have no idea. But it seems like vendors are going straight from Rel 10 to Rel 12.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums
    I think Rel 12 includes the use of non contiguous spectrum. If everybody else is going straight to 12 then it makes sense because wireless operators have spectrum across bands and the ETSI is already assigning paired spectrum bands, to include pairing low and high band spectrum together. I have seen the specifications and they already have low and high band spectrum paired together, when I last checked (or wasn't looking hard enough) I didn't see low and low band spectrum paired together.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I see Sprint potentially having the first crack at being the first to deploy LTE Advanced. They already have the spectrum to do it, they are the first ones to publicly acknowledge (AFAIK) that they were able to test speeds up to 1 Gbps, and are currently trying to get their network to be LTE Advanced out of the box. T-Mobile already claims they can support LTE Advanced but it likely won't include carrier aggregation. AT&T and Verizon Wireless are either too busy expanding their LTE networks (mainly AT&T) or too busy adding in new capacity with AWS and PCS because demand is skyrocketing.

AT&T is also trying to get Multi-Frequency Band Indicator (MFBI) rolled out by September 30, 2015 so their 700 MHz network will operate as a Band 12 and 17 network. That's a fairly tight schedule to get something this complicated to get properly working and rolled out.

Honestly, I think VoLTE will come out first for wireless carriers, even if AT&T hasn't said anything.
    Personally, I don't see the need right now for either VoLTE or LTE-A. On average, I get around 30Mbps on LTE as it is, usually more, and I'm fine with GSM for calls. I know call quality is supposed to better with VoLTE, but LTE coverage (from what I've experienced) isn't that great. Even if every carrier put LTE antennas on every tower, LTE just doesn't travel as far as GSM does. I frequently lose LTE signal in large buildings, and my phone drops down to HSPA+. I don't see it catching on until they find a way to make it as widespread as GSM voice is now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Without the level of greenfield contiguous spectrum that Verizon has what can AT&T do now that will allow them to remain competitive in the speed department?

Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny4G View Post
    Without the level of greenfield contiguous spectrum that Verizon has what can AT&T do now that will allow them to remain competitive in the speed department?
    Carrier aggregation, increase site density, deploy small cells... Etc

Sent from my Nexus 5

Feedback Score
    "Beginning May 23, AT&T is introducing High Definition (HD) Voice on an all-IP, Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) network in select markets. At AT&T, you won't have to choose between faster data speeds and crystal clear conversations. HD Voice customers can simultaneously talk while surfing the Web at 4G LTE speeds, all on the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network – it's the best of both worlds."

"Initially, HD Voice from AT&T will be available in select areas in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin, and will continue to expand on a market-by-market basis."

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/15/att-an...ion-this-fall/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...259365531.html

Apparently the iPhone 5 hardware (and I'm assuming every iPhone released since then) does support VoLTE, but the software doesn't yet. I know there was some debate about this on various threads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2