Thread: AT&T roaming with LTE in Europe/Asia/Africa with compatible devcie

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless "blue" to the very end...
    Feedback Score

AT&T roaming with LTE in Europe/Asia/Africa with compatible devcie

I remember when AT&T first released the iPhone 5 you could not roam on LTE b/c the AT&T flavored i5 only had the proper bands for LTE in the Americas AND there were no roaming agreements with intenational LTE networks.

Fast forward a year and a half to today. If I were to get a European compatable LTE device, would I be able to use the reletively inexepensive AT&T data roaming data buckets with LTE, or would I once more be limited to 3G/HSPA? Are the LTE roaming agreements in place?

a coworker of mine has been racking up very big bills b/c of data roaming with his Greek post paid plan that only has an affordable "bucket" when roaming inside the other European union countries. but we have been paying 2 EURO per MB and he has been tethering. He mostly travels in the Far East and the Middle East where the AT&T buckets apply but his Greek SIM is limited to the expensive "rack" rates.

I'm trying to figure out a cost effective way to limit this and AT&T seems to be the way to go (with 800 MB for USD 120 for example.)

we do not need LTE speeds, but they sure would be nice.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you don't need LTE speeds you might consider signing up for a T-Mobile account for a month or so. They do not have any extra charge for post paid accounts overseas data roaming and text messages in 115 included countries. Speeds are slowed to 128k but they are very solid and reliable for most everything except video. Perhaps one day AT&T might be more competitive with affordable roaming.

In terms of LTE roaming agreements the only one I have seen announced is Canada. At LTE speeds its easy to blow threw a bucket of data much more quickly.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    There's no much need for LTE when global roaming... Although HSPA+ definitely doesn't slow you down from mowing through those packages...

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    128k would be downright painful. There doesn't seem to be any new roaming agreements so I would expect hspa+ in most places. I went to japan a week ago and all I got was hspa+ which was pretty good for VoIP apps. Same goes for Mexico where I got hspa+ in November and Italy which was also no LTE. All the mentioned countries have well built out LTE but the roaming agreements haven't been struck yet.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    128k would be downright painful.

Sent with the HoFo App
    On the surface I thought it would be painful as well. My experience and those of others has been surprisingly good. Although it's slow the connection is solid and persistent so that it does not drop mid stream. It's surprising useful for most tasks.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    128k would be downright painful. There doesn't seem to be any new roaming agreements so I would expect hspa+ in most places. I went to japan a week ago and all I got was hspa+ which was pretty good for VoIP apps. Same goes for Mexico where I got hspa+ in November and Italy which was also no LTE. All the mentioned countries have well built out LTE but the roaming agreements haven't been struck yet.

Sent with the HoFo App
    All the countries you mentioned have LTE in some areas, the issue is that Italy operates on a frequency most US phone cannot use due to radio limitations. And for both Italy & Mexico none of the carriers have an LTE agreement. AT&T is the only carrier to have LTE agreements but so far it only includes Rogers Canada and EE UK.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score

Sent with the HoFo App
    Not when it's throttled, because you're always getting 128kbps. EDGE is painful because most of the time because AT&T doesn't maintain their EDGE network, so many places don't get a consistent 150-200kbps that properly configured EDGE gear will sustain. I used good AT&T EDGE (consistent 180kbps) back in the day with the original SGS, and it was pretty good.

Baja California / Baja California Sur / Sinaloa / D.F.
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    That's why I thought, but it works for streaming audio, google maps, and a few other basic tasks.
    The only time it would be painful is if you tried to stream audio and use google maps or otherwise attempt to more than one task at the same time on a throttled connection. If I needed anything faster then I just get a local SIM and use it for data. I used to be a big fan of AT&Ts international data plans, but not anymore. The add on packages could be better priced.

These days, the only thing that looks attractive from AT&T is the Viva! Mexico voice package.