Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The phone(s) returned to T-Mobile for them to pay your ETF

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 & Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score

The phone(s) returned to T-Mobile for them to pay your ETF

Does it matter what phones you return to T-Mobile in order to meet the criteria for them to pay your ETF? I am looking to switch from AT&T and am still under contract with them.

I will buy new device(s) from T-MObile and meet the rest of the requirements, but I have sold the device for which I am tied to AT&T. If they do not care, does it have to be a "smartphone"?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No. They'll take a phone in good condition. Even a flip.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glavata View Post
    Does it matter what phones you return to T-Mobile in order to meet the criteria for them to pay your ETF? I am looking to switch from AT&T and am still under contract with them.

I will buy new device(s) from T-MObile and meet the rest of the requirements, but I have sold the device for which I am tied to AT&T. If they do not care, does it have to be a "smartphone"?

Thanks!
    Wife moved her sprint line over to our Tmobile family account. She kept the iphone 5 and turned in a HTC Evo which was broken, obviously there was no trade in value but it qualifies for the ETF payment. I think the phone must be on an approved list of phones they take as trade ins thats on Tmobile's website.
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any phone will do even an old phone from another carrier. I got zero for the trade-in but the phone fulfills one of the requirements. I gave them the Moto Pebl.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    But I've read that they will now only pay the ETF appropriate for the phone you turn in. So for instance, if your account has a $300 ETF for a smartphone and you send them a non-smartphone that would have had a $100 ETF, you only get $100. This is apart from the trade-in for the phone itself.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    But I've read that they will now only pay the ETF appropriate for the phone you turn in. So for instance, if your account has a $300 ETF for a smartphone and you send them a non-smartphone that would have had a $100 ETF, you only get $100. This is apart from the trade-in for the phone itself.
    This is not correct. If you turn in a working phone of any kind you get up to $350 ETF reimbursement. If you trade in a broken phone you get up to $200. That's the only distinction. Your trade-in credit is whatever your phone is worth and is separate from the ETF reimbursement.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleMac View Post
    This is not correct. If you turn in a working phone of any kind you get up to $350 ETF reimbursement. If you trade in a broken phone you get up to $200. That's the only distinction. Your trade-in credit is whatever your phone is worth and is separate from the ETF reimbursement.
    While you may, in fact, be correct, this conflicts with the information posted on T-Mobile's website, which clearly states,
    The amount paid will not be more than the ETF amount the customers’ previous carriers charge for the type of device traded-in.
    So one should not expect to turn in a device that would have had a $100 ETF and get a $200 reimbursement based on a different phone.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No. They'll take a phone in good condition. Even a flip.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Yes, but from what I read they will only pay the ETF that the carrier would charge for the type of phone turned in. ETF on a flip phone is a lot less than a smartphone.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While you may, in fact, be correct, this conflicts with the information posted on T-Mobile's website, which clearly states,
    So one should not expect to turn in a device that would have had a $100 ETF and get a $200 reimbursement based on a different phone.
    I believe you are misunderstanding what T-Mobile's terms are. Basically, they are saying if you trade in a feature phone (because you want to get the money from putting your current smartphone on eBay), they will not pay the ETF for a smartphone. It is a limit to what they will pay on the ETF, not what they will pay in terms of trade in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Yes, but from what I read they will only pay the ETF that the carrier would charge for the type of phone turned in. ETF on a flip phone is a lot less than a smartphone.
    Yeah, this new information was changed on their FAQ.. The wording is completely different than what it was originally.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    I believe you are misunderstanding what T-Mobile's terms are. Basically, they are saying if you trade in a feature phone (because you want to get the money from putting your current smartphone on eBay), they will not pay the ETF for a smartphone. It is a limit to what they will pay on the ETF, not what they will pay in terms of trade in value.
    I don't think I'm misunderstanding anything*. I was responding to:
    This is not correct. If you turn in a working phone of any kind you get up to $350 ETF reimbursement.
    "Any kind" means it doesn't matter if you turn in a smart phone, feature phone or old "bag phone". If you have a current contract for an iPhone 5 with a $300 ETF and you send them an old bag phone I don't think they'll be sending you that prepaid MasterCard for the $300.

*Actually, I probably misunderstand a lot of stuff but this, I think I've got right.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 02-02-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think I'm misunderstanding anything*. I was responding to: "Any kind" means it doesn't matter if you turn in a smart phone, feature phone or old "bag phone". If you have a current contract for an iPhone 5 with a $300 ETF and you send them an old bag phone I don't think they'll be sending you that prepaid MasterCard for the $300.

*Actually, I probably misunderstand a lot of stuff but this, I think I've got right.
    Sorry, apparently I misread.

Feedback Score

LOL I like the honesty

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think I'm misunderstanding anything*. I was responding to: "Any kind" means it doesn't matter if you turn in a smart phone, feature phone or old "bag phone". If you have a current contract for an iPhone 5 with a $300 ETF and you send them an old bag phone I don't think they'll be sending you that prepaid MasterCard for the $300.

If you turn in a bag phone you'll get whatever your ETF is up to $350.nnthey SHOULD change it to what you're suggesting because people are taking advantage but they haven't.... Yet

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you turn in a bag phone you'll get whatever your ETF is up to $350.nnthey SHOULD change it to what you're suggesting because people are taking advantage but they haven't.... Yet

Sent with the HoFo App
    No, they already did change it. Check the FAQ. They only reimburse the ETF for a maximum of what the carrier charges for the phone you turn in.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast