Thread: Looking for a Verizon MVNO

Feedback Score

Looking for a Verizon MVNO

Currently my father uses his camera phone for pictures (has a regular digital camera but doesn't want to carry around 2 devices), so he uses the camera in his standard phone. The picture quality as you'd imagine stinks.
    I'd like to get him something to produces pictures on par with a digital camera without him needing to pay for a monthy data plan for a smart phone.
    Unfortunately the only provider that gives good connections where he lives is Verizon, and they don't allow you to use a smart phone w/o paying $30/mo for data.
    he only uses about 200min/mo of voice, and no texts

So I was thinking of a MVNO
    I contacted PagePlus - however their cheapest plan with autorenew in $30/mo
    I then tried Selectel - which has a $75/year (i.e. $6/mo) plan with 2,000 min/year (~167min/mo) on the Verizon network and allows smartphones

How is there service?
    Is there another option that I should consider?

thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    PagePlus gives great service. I'd suggest getting him a used Verizon iPhone 4S, which has a good camera, and requires no modifications to work on PagePlus. If he ONLY wants to talk on the phone, with no SMS or cellular data, I'd suggest the PagePlus $80 PIN, which has a one year expiration, deducts a $0.50/mo fee and voice minutes at $0.04 each, and if there is an unused balance at the end of the year, it will roll over if a new PIN is added before the year ends.

So, if he uses 200 min/mo, it works out to an $8.50/mo $0.04/min x 200 min + $0.50) deduction from the PagePlus $80 PIN, so the $80 PIN will last over 9 months, and the final cost/min will be $0.425 ($8.50/200).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also recommend the iPhone 4S. It's what my family uses on Page Plus without any issues. The only other option is BYO Wireless, but it seems Selectel $75 plan fits him best with his usage. You can even add 5c/MB data (such as for Maps when needed, but be sure to shut off cellular data for everything else if you get this) with $10 Flex cards, if you'd like. (as comparison, Page Plus charges $1,014/GB | 99c/MB for data when on their pay as you go plans, and doesn't include any free texts on the annual plan.)
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    I then tried Selectel - which has a $75/year (i.e. $6/mo) plan with 2,000 min/year (~167min/mo) on the Verizon network and allows smartphones

How is there service?
    Is there another option that I should consider?
    I think you'd be happy with Selectel and their yearly plan -- even though you mention your Dad doesn't use text messages, you would still get them thrown in. Data (as another poster mentioned) would require a $10 Flex Card, but on an Android phone (which I prefer over iPhones), data can just be turned off. The only other "option" I might consider, is working through a dealer. The two I've had experience with will show up near the top of a Google 'selectel wireless dealer' search. I'm not allowed to mention names, but one is a small flying rodent, and the other has Einstein-like intelligence. Dealers will help take care of any issues that come up -- though I hear that direct Selectel customer service is not that big of a chore either. (I've always gone through a dealer, so can't personally vouch for Selectel CS -- though they've recently added live Chatting.)
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I will second what rcentros says about Selectel. One advantage Selectel has over PagePlus is that it uses Verizon's postpaid network. If you're in an "extended network" area, you can still call and text and not be charged roaming fees. With PagePlus you will be roaming.

Fort

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    I will second what rcentros says about Selectel. One advantage Selectel has over PagePlus is that it uses Verizon's postpaid network. If you're in an "extended network" area, you can still call and text and not be charged roaming fees. With PagePlus you will be roaming.

Fort
    Only for voice. PagePlus SMS is no additional charge while on the Vzw extended network, just like it is with Selectel. Cellular data while on the Vzw extended network doesn't work for either.

Feedback Score
    thanks- looks like I'll go with PagePlus + IPhone 4s
    since they have a dealer near me (parents are less tech savvy and would appreciate working with a live person)
    thx!

Feedback Score
    Update: I bought them iPhone 4s off of eBay, I read online (this forum?) that I could buy one with a non clean ESN and PagePlus would flash it so it could be used with them. Anyway, went yesterday to the pageplus dealer/store and he said he can't. Any idea?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    Update: I bought them iPhone 4s off of eBay, I read online (this forum?) that I could buy one with a non clean ESN and PagePlus would flash it so it could be used with them. Anyway, went yesterday to the pageplus dealer/store and he said he can't. Any idea?
    No Vzw device with a bad ESN can be used on ANY Vzw MVNO. That's a well-known fact, so it's unlikely that you read that on HoFo. Also, although they do exist, most PPC dealerships don't flash phones, and even if they do, iPhone flashing would be VERY rare. A Vzw iPhone 4 or 4S will work on PPC with no modifications required.

Feedback Score
    thanks, don't know where I read it - guess somewhere else.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    How does the Selectel $75 yearly plan work for overages? I'm assuming if you use up minutes or texts you don't have to wait til next year to use your phone?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thamster View Post
    How does the Selectel $75 yearly plan work for overages? I'm assuming if you use up minutes or texts you don't have to wait til next year to use your phone?
    You can add $10 Flex Cards for $0.05 voice minutes, texts, or data/MB. I don't know how you'd start it over if you want to buy a new $75 yearly plan, but I'd guess you'd lose the remaining voice/SMS balance. Selectel CS should be able to tell you.

Feedback Score
    wrong thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thamster View Post
    I'm assuming if you use up minutes or texts you don't have to wait til next year to use your phone?
    I don't think so. According to this link:
    prepaidphonenews.com/2013/07/selectel-wireless-75-yearly-plan-and.html

There is no rollover, if you renew before expiration your available balance is reset to 2000 minutes and 1500 texts.
    Stands to reason that if you can renew before your minutes expire, you can renew before the year is up if they have been used up, as well.

-Bryan