Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What makes you stay with Virgin over T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    LG F3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Another thing to consider about tmo is that outside of the city there is usually no 4g or even 3g. Around here they have great 4g LTE in the city but five miles out it drops to edge until the next big city. Towns all have edge

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Well I bought the F3 and jumped in so hopefully its a good phone.

Device(s)
    LG F3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I love my f3. Hopefully yours works as good as mine with VM

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    No phone!
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why I stay...

* $25 plan.
    * I never totally lose voice or data coverage.
    * They let me get away with tethering, which I use for hours daily during my bus commute.

Data is slow as molasses though... Forget about video, I can't even do low bitrate audio streams or animated gifs.

I'd happily pay as much as $35 for a better service, but it would have to include tethering. Lots of people seem to be getting away with tethering on Tmo, but lots get shut down, too... So, I stay with the devil I know and my Optimus V.

Feedback Score
    The only real reason I stay is the $25 plan. I have been having real problems with data the past few months though, either not working at all or only getting 1x connections (which is not much better than not working at all). When I do get an EVDO connection it is sufficient for my needs.

The fact that they offer low minute/heavy data plans is a plus. I really have no use for all the unlimited minute plans everyone seems to be hawking.

I am going to get my wife a lumia 521 on the tmobile $30 plan, if she has good experience with it I will probably jump ship. If VM/sprint can fix their overloaded network I would stay.

Feedback Score
    $25 / mo. I mostly text, send emails, use a few different messaging services, and I have yet to break 300 mins.

Also, getting the AWE for $19.99 as an upgrade to my Optimus V, and getting to keep my plan was AWEsome. ;p

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    $25 plan plus the Awe is unbeatable, IMO.

However, even at $35, VM would be competitive for the sheer fact that (as mentioned above) Virgin doesn't make you buy unlimited minutes when you don't need them.

Device(s)
    Galsxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    1) Looks like no/marginal T mobile coverage at my house. Never actually tested though, just looking at the maps.
    2) No T mobile coverage to the West of me
    3) No T mobile coverage where we usually go on vacation, only Sprint and Verizon have coverage there.
    So, coverage.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I'm actually going to test out T-mobile for a month or two. I just got the phone (Optimus F6) on sale for $100 and now waiting for the T-mobile sim card, which was free at the moment online. I have yet to break 100 minutes within a month on VM so even though cutting my minutes to only a third of what I currently have is a bit scary, I believe I can make it work out... knock on wood. Also, T-mobile has a feature to where you can make calls and text via wifi, even when you have no mobile signal at all (the phone must support the feature, which most new ones do anyway). So as long as the coverage is solid where I live and in my vacation spots (Reno/Tahoe, Vegas, Disneyland) and 100mins doesn't become a problem, I will stick with T-mobile. Not to mention they will merge the old MetroPCS CDMA coverage into their H+ and/or LTE signal next year, so that's something to look forward to.

Believe me, I have nothing against VM. They have been good to me for the two+ years I've been with them. No complaints for the price I pay. Their plans are pretty much unbeatable, for the most part. But I feel it is time to test other waters and see what I get out of it. I will keep my VM phone just in case I decide to come back.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy 3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I pick Virgin, because of coverage. Out where I live, sprint is along most of the routes i go. T-mo, only has 2g where I live. If they had 3 or 4g in my area, I would picked the walmart plans.

~JS
    Strangled with a phone cord.

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 AndroidOne | Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HallOfPromise View Post
    I'm actually going to test out T-mobile for a month or two. I just got the phone (Optimus F6) on sale for $100 and now waiting for the T-mobile sim card, which was free at the moment online. I have yet to break 100 minutes within a month on VM so even though cutting my minutes to only a third of what I currently have is a bit scary, I believe I can make it work out... knock on wood. Also, T-mobile has a feature to where you can make calls and text via wifi, even when you have no mobile signal at all (the phone must support the feature, which most new ones do anyway).
    There is a gotcha with T-Mobile's current implementation of Wi-Fi calling: minutes routed over Wi-Fi are still deducted from your plan's available minutes. This is their way of encouraging customers to upgrade their plan to unlimited talk. The workaround is to *avoid* using T-Mobile's/Metro's built-in Wi-Fi calling app as much as possible and use another VOIP calling app. Check in the Landline Replacement/VOIP forum (http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...placement-VOIP) for possible workarounds...
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: HTC "10" (VZW) | Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/34.1445; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by mobileFonPhile
    Quote Originally Posted by HallOfPromise View Post
    I'm actually going to test out T-mobile for a month or two. I just got the phone (Optimus F6) on sale for $100 and now waiting for the T-mobile sim card, which was free at the moment online. I have yet to break 100 minutes within a month on VM so even though cutting my minutes to only a third of what I currently have is a bit scary, I believe I can make it work out... knock on wood. Also, T-mobile has a feature to where you can make calls and text via wifi, even when you have no mobile signal at all (the phone must support the feature, which most new ones do anyway).
    There is a gotcha with T-Mobile's current implementation of Wi-Fi calling: minutes routed over Wi-Fi are still deducted from your plan's available minutes. This is their way of encouraging customers to upgrade their plan to unlimited talk. The workaround is to *avoid* using T-Mobile's/Metro's built-in Wi-Fi calling app as much as possible and use another VOIP calling app. Check in the Landline Replacement/VOIP forum (http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...placement-VOIP) for possible workarounds...
    The "workaround"...
    Classic. They "encourage" ....

$35/300 minutes/Unlimited Text/Unlimited Data....
    Exclusive Sprint Coverage
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    I was a Vm customer for almost two years and perfectly happy until about a year ago, when data use in my area became basically unusable. Honestly, Sprint data became so slow you couldn't open Web pages or use Facebook easily. I switched to the T-Mobile $30 plan. It is like night and day better. However, I live in a sprawling city/suburban area with complete T-Mobile coverage and all areas nearby have it, too. Ymmv based on your location.

Eta: if you switch, also look at Walmart Family Mobile phones, which work without issue on T-Mobile. My daughter has a Galaxy Exhibit 4g (new version) from WFM and it was $99. Good little phone.

via the HoFo App
    Self-professed gadget geek, serial phone-tryer-outer.
    iOS, Android, BB10, Windows...it's all good.

Currently?
    Main lines:
    Iphone SE x2, Samsung J7: TMO Select Market Family Match
    Iphone 5s Tracfone

How many active SIMs does one person need?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 PLUS International model
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo prepaid 5gb Data g/fathered
    Feedback Score
    $25 plan using rooted Optimus Elite. Google Voice.
    Fairly good reception, Portland OR area. Low min useage. Pity I can't upgrade to a more recent OS without losing plan.
    Maybe my imagination but coverage seems better in light of the stated system upgrades new owners Softbank are putting in place.
    I assume I can't get better than 3G on this device?

I have a Nexus 4 and a T-Mo SIM package...but can't pull the trigger on the $30 plan. 100 mins just not sufficient.
    Still looking for app to replace Groove IP.
    Any evolving tech or something I've missed in this regard?
    Thx

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ta1k0 View Post
    $25 plan using rooted Optimus Elite. Google Voice.
    Fairly good reception, Portland OR area. Low min useage. Pity I can't upgrade to a more recent OS without losing plan.
    Maybe my imagination but coverage seems better in light of the stated system upgrades new owners Softbank are putting in place.
    I assume I can't get better than 3G on this device?

I have a Nexus 4 and a T-Mo SIM package...but can't pull the trigger on the $30 plan. 100 mins just not sufficient.
    Still looking for app to replace Groove IP.
    Any evolving tech or something I've missed in this regard?
    Thx
    Keep an eye on the Google Hangouts app. Eventually they'll update it to have Google Voice voip calling/texting like the official iPhone app has had for months. Wouldn't be surprised if they do it next month when they kill other Google Voice apps.

Also, if you switch to T-Mobile, it might be worth getting a phone with LTE, since they announced they'll be bringing LTE to all 2G markets by mid next year.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast