Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Verizon throttling Ultd data

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that since you started using the Thunderbolt phone, data usage by other users has also increased. May not be anything with your phone or your account. Throttling is a possibility though. Works the same at your home if you are on a cable internet system. The more simultaneous, active users the slower your connection speeds.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @illb: Can you reproduce the issue at a different location?
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by illb View Post
    I've been using unlimited 4g on Verizon since the Thunderbolt came out and have never had a problem till early this year. I'd regularly use 10-15GB per billing cycle and it was always blazing fast.

Well come this January, my speeds have been completely unusable for anything but web browsing. Anything else like streaming videos or downloading files/apps is very slow. What's weird is that if I run a speed test it shows great speed... But if I'm downloading an app, it will be like double digit kbs

My data usage is down below 2GB (partially on purpose hoping Verizon would unthrottle me and partially because 4G is useless now) and nothing has changed.

Verizon has claimed they don't know what's going on.

I have used 3 different phones since January (GS3, Thunderbolt, and HTC 8X) and all of them are exhibiting the same slow speeds. I'm one of 4 on our plan and I'm the only one with issues.

Here is a video (long and boring sorry) showing my phone with unlimited data next to another phone on my plan with 2GB of data running a YouTube video.

Well I guess I can't post a video. When I get my posts up I will, but basically I have the capped 2GB phone next to my unlimited phone. Mine is an HTC 8x hers is an iPhone 5. Both are restarted, put on LTE, and load up the same YouTube video in their browsers on high quality. The iPhone plays through without stopping, but the 8X stops multiple times to buffer and takes significantly longer to finish.
    Maybe a SIM/provisioning issue? It sounds like that SIM is ancient if it hasn't been replaced since you got the Tbolt... Unlimited is not throttled.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    ... Unlimited is not throttled.
    Don't forget that the cellular carriers use a different dictionary than the rest of us. Their network, their rules, their definition of unlimited.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Is that dictionary published anywhere – in full? Or is it a hugger-mugger codex honored only in the breech?

Some states may still have "plain English" contract statutes.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Don't forget that since you started using the Thunderbolt phone, data usage by other users has also increased. May not be anything with your phone or your account. Throttling is a possibility though. Works the same at your home if you are on a cable internet system. The more simultaneous, active users the slower your connection speeds.
    I'd like to see a comparison of more equal phones ... the more variables there are between the "good" phone and the "bad" phone the easier it is to blame something else than the plan purchased for the phone. Processor speeds and free memory affect the operation of the phone (or at least I hope it does since Verizon and the manufacturers keep pushing faster phones with more memory as an upgrade).

Once a comparison between near identical phones shows a difference it would be interesting see if there is any pattern ... is there a discernible where the throttling (network management) begins? Is it everywhere 24/7 or just on congested towers when Verizon needs to limit the experience of some to make the experience of others better?

If I recall correctly, the old rules targeted the top 5% of data users for the month they entered the top 5% and the following month. If I were targeting any specific group for throttling that sounds like a good start - unless, of course, the account was a high dollar corporate contract.
    Three places to look:
    Rules Search FAQ

ST3000 -> ST7868 + V.60i -> E815 -> Krave ZN4 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 4

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here are two phones... both on unlimited. Sitting side by side.

First, running them at the same time:

(left - iPhone 5s | right - iPhone 5)

Now, each by itself:

(left - iPhone 5s | right - iPhone 5)

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Close enough. I see nothing suspicious.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Looks fine to me...

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    "Both on unlimited." What was the test?

The claim was that unlimited subscribers are being throttled in a situation where non-unlimited subscribers are not throttled. Testing two unlimited phones side by side does not prove or disprove that claim. The only "proof" offered is that two unlimited phones are getting decent speeds at the time tested. The "I've been throttled!!!" claim (the topic of this thread) is what needs to be proven.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
    "Both on unlimited." What was the test?

The claim was that unlimited subscribers are being throttled in a situation where non-unlimited subscribers are not throttled. Testing two unlimited phones side by side does not prove or disprove that claim. The only "proof" offered is that two unlimited phones are getting decent speeds at the time tested. The "I've been throttled!!!" claim (the topic of this thread) is what needs to be proven.
    What could I do then? I'm obviously not being throttled. I can put my moms phone in the mix, she's on a 2GB plan, and uses iPhone 5.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    What could I do then? I'm obviously not being throttled. I can put my moms phone in the mix, she's on a 2GB plan, and uses iPhone 5.
    You're not being "throttled" according to the narrow definition of "network management" that vzw has published for EVDO application.

OTOH, that's no guarantee the the scarlet succubus has not devised other devious and arcane schemes to fulfill the punitive arts of motivation that have so captured the heart of GSMinCT.

I think I recall illb saying that actual file download performance did not match up to Speedtest results. Does that apply here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    You're not being "throttled" according to the narrow definition of "network management" that vzw has published for EVDO application.

OTOH, that's no guarantee the the scarlet succubus has not devised other devious and arcane schemes to fulfill the punitive arts of motivation that have so captured the heart of GSMinCT.

I think I recall illb saying that actual file download performance did not match up to Speedtest results. Does that apply here?

LMFAO @ "scarlet succubus"

Made my Easter

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, for the sake of it... 2GB plan, iPhone 5.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post

Punitive arts? Although Verizon is not throttling LTE right now, because they can't according to 700c regs, modification or elimination of Unlimited plans would hardly be a punitive art. It would be common sense network management to protect and properly allocate an asset to maintain and maximize the value it can provide to customers, and thus the value that can be returned to shareholders.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast