Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Verizon throttling Ultd data

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Different opinions. NBD.

Btw. I agree with your take that it's illegal, but that's no guarantee that it's not happening. FCC rules haven't stopped vzw in the past.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-21-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    What could I do then? I'm obviously not being throttled. I can put my moms phone in the mix, she's on a 2GB plan, and uses iPhone 5.
    I do not believe you could do anything ... unless you noticed that an "unlimited" iPhone 5 similarly loaded to your mom's was getting lower network speeds than your mom's 2GB plan phone and documented that disparity.

That is the biggest problem with the claim that Verizon Wireless is throttling. Those making the claim have not been able to provide a side by side comparison. The comparisons I have seen have other variables. Proving the opposite (Verizon is not throttling) has its own problems. If there is no tower or network congestion at a particular moment there is no reason to throttle. Posting super fast speed tests is not proof that Verizon never throttles. Only that speeds were fine at the moment tested.

The holy grail that proves the "I'm being throttled" claim is a side by side that shows an unlimited phone getting a worse connection than a non-unlimited phone where both phones are close enough in operation to eliminate other issues.
    Three places to look:
    Rules Search FAQ

ST3000 -> ST7868 + V.60i -> E815 -> Krave ZN4 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 4

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
    I do not believe you could do anything ... unless you noticed that an "unlimited" iPhone 5 similarly loaded to your mom's was getting lower network speeds than your mom's 2GB plan phone and documented that disparity.

That is the biggest problem with the claim that Verizon Wireless is throttling. Those making the claim have not been able to provide a side by side comparison. The comparisons I have seen have other variables. Proving the opposite (Verizon is not throttling) has its own problems. If there is no tower or network congestion at a particular moment there is no reason to throttle. Posting super fast speed tests is not proof that Verizon never throttles. Only that speeds were fine at the moment tested.

The holy grail that proves the "I'm being throttled" claim is a side by side that shows an unlimited phone getting a worse connection than a non-unlimited phone where both phones are close enough in operation to eliminate other issues.
    I gotcha. We are on the same boat as far as what it takes to show that someone is throttled. I was confused as to any other way lol.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I would add that UL SIM swaps, in enough different cases, would be a pretty strong indicator.

Also, if peak time only speed drops would point too embarrassingly to throttling, there's nothing stopping the lady-in-red from a little randomizing as misdirection. Or even just old-fashioned constant throttling at a high enough threshold to allow for some ambiguity …

IF she's choosing to break the rules, then some outside-the-box thinking is required if she's to get away with it.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-21-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Network management is legit and will continue as needed. We are just fortunate that most areas do not need tight network management ... and unfortunate that in the places where speeds are an issue that all customers seem to see a reduction in service. I suppose one could argue at those sites during peak times the demand is enough that all get "throttled".

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    "I suppose" so. But, at those "peak times" it's really the scarlet succubus herself who ought to be 'throttled' – the old-fashioned way, with two hands around her neck – for refusing to reprovision the backhaul to keep pace with demand.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-21-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    "I suppose" so. But, at those "peak times" it's really the scarlet succubus herself who ought to be 'throttled' – the old-fashioned way, with two hands around her neck – for refusing to reprovision the backhaul to keep pace with demand.
    They are limited by air interface capacity, not backhaul. Until more AWS phones are out there AND they build a denser network to split up the load and make AWS effective, those areas are going to be slow. This is not AT&T in 2009, where backhaul was an issue. There is no backhaul conspiracy, as much as you might like to believe that there is.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've not seen any speed reduction with my 76GB data usage. Thank Netflix for the amount used.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I did over 110GB this cycle and haven't noticed any slowdowns.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This thread has run it's course. Time to close. Feel free to start a new thread if you want to debate further.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15