Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of switching from Verizon to Page Plus

Feedback Score

Thinking of switching from Verizon to Page Plus

I would like to start off by saying that I am very technology challenged, to the point where I have never even sent a text message! I feel like I am entering a maze thinking about a different cell phone carrier, a different plan, and possibly a different cell phone. That said, I am committed to "moving up in the world" and start sending text messages, getting more flexibility on the times I use the phone (not waiting for after 9:00 pm and weekends), and hopefully decreasing my monthly cost.

My 2-year plan with Verizon expired a few years ago, so I am now month to month. However, I still use my Samsung Haven cell phone which works fine. My current plan cost $29.99 ($37.50 with taxes) per month which includes 200 peak minutes. I rarely use up the 200 peak minutes only because my boyfriend has a work supplied phone and the carrier is Verizon (Verizon to Verizon do not use up minutes). And, it's the nights and weekends when I tend to call my friends, many that do not use Verizon, buts nights after 9:00 pm and weekends do not go against my 200 peak monthly minutes.

One more piece of information to add. My boyfriend has an HTC Droid Incredible 2 cell phone that I can have. It was his old cell phone at work before they upgraded him to a new Galaxy 4 phone. While I do not intend on using data for now, his cell phone is much newer, so theoretically will have a longer life than my Samsung Haven.

I spoke directly with Page Plus yesterday and they were very helpful. Based on my needs, I basically have a few choices to think about:

1. They have a Pay-As-You-Go-Plan for $25 (no tax in Pennsylvania) that would give me 416 minutes and the minutes would be good for 120 days. They also have a $10 Pay-As-You-Go-Plan that gives me 100 minutes, also good for 120 days. However, since many of my current minutes are Verizon to Verizon, which I would lose with Page Plus, this would not give me enough monthly minutes. I understand that voice is deducted at $.06 per minute and $.05 per text message. And, I understand that prior to the 120 day expiration, I can add any amount of money and the remaining minutes that I had will roll over to the next 120 days.

2. I can get an $80 Pay-As-You-Go-Plan card from the likes of Walgreens and Radio Shack. This card has 2000 minutes and is good for 1 year. Voice minutes are deducted at $.04 (instead of $.06 on the 120 Pay-As-You-Go-Plan) and text messages are deducted at $.05 per message (this seems like a good way to go).

3. Page Plus also has a 250 voice minute No Contract Monthly Plan that might would work if I watch my minutes. For $12 per month (30 days) I would get 250 voice minutes, an additional 250 text messages, and 10 MB of data. They also said that as soon as I decide to activate and if I decide on the HTC Droid Incredible 2, and since I would not use data, they would walk me through turning off the data immediately. They said that otherwise the updates will use some of my minutes.

Page Plus said they would port my telephone number over to the HTC Droid Incredible 2 and if I have a problem with that phone, if I want, then port my telephone number over to my older Samsung Haven flip phone. What I am thinking is to start off with Page Plus on the HTC Droid Incredible 2 using any telephone number they give me and at the same time keeping service on my Verizon Samsung Haven for 1 month. If everything works out with Page Plus and the HTC Droid Incredible 2, I would port my number from my Samsung Haven and Verizon service to the HTC Droid Incredible 2 and Page Plus service.

I have some questions:

1. In general do my above thoughts make sense?

2. I have read that TracFone is an alternative to Page Plus. Which is the better way to go based on my usage and living in Philadelphia PA ?

3. If switching from Verizon to Page Plus is the the best option, which Page Plus plan do you think is best based on my usage?

4. Are there any advantages to converting with Page Plus directly or through a distributor

Thanks.

Anovise
    Last edited by icebook; 04-17-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: removed advertising violation

Device(s)
    Kyocera 2325
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Anovise,

You are getting a lot of "free" minutes on Verizon (Calls to boyfriend & calls on weekends) that you will not get on PPC plans.

You need to estimate how many free minutes you are using.

From the info you provided I suspect that the $12/month PPC plan will not provide enough minutes (250 minutes) to meet your needs.

The next PPC monthly plan provides 1200 minutes per month for $29.95 per month. Try to determine if that plan will be sufficient.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I think you would probably be best with the $29.95 plan, as mentioned above, because, like UncleAndy said, you are using a lot of the Verizon to Verizon minutes and nights and weekends that you will be losing. The 1200 anytime minutes should be enough for most people.
    If you are going to start texting, like you mentioned, this plan has 3000 texts included, otherwise, texting will eat up your money on the pay as you go plans.
    You will also get 500MB of data, per month, so you would also be able to try that out, too.

Feedback Score
    The $80 Standard Plan might be better if you will NOT use texting or cellular data.

Feedback Score
    Like others have said, the 1200 plan sounds like it would be a perfect starting point for you. With the Incredible 2, you may very well become a text and data user. I would just call PP customer service and have them port your number to the Incredible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Like others have said, the 1200 plan sounds like it would be a perfect starting point for you. With the Incredible 2, you may very well become a text and data user. I would just call PP customer service and have them port your number to the Incredible.
    I agree, IF a fair amount of texting, and if ANY cellular data is going to be used, the TnT1200 might be the best bet, because The 12's 250 minutes probably wouldn't be enough based on the described usage.

Device(s)
    Samsung, Apple
    Carrier(s)
    Pix Wireless, T-Mobile. Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Set yourself "free" from what you can do with your phone and when you can or can not call. Go with Page Plus $40 mo plan, unlimited talk and text plus 500mb data. If you do some shopping you can purchase this plan for under $40 and no additional tax or charges. I currently pay $35.

Feedback Score
    Anovise wants to save money as well. $29.99 PP plan is not much of a saving.

In addition data cannot be disabled on monthly plans. Data can only be disabled on PAYGO plans.

And on monthly plan if you use up all your data it will not start eating at your minutes - if you have no additional balance from PAYGO data will stop but you will still be able to use all minutes/texts allowed. If you do have additional funds from PAYGO they will be used to pay for an overage of data or voice minutes or text - whatever you ran out of.

In a nutshell you can have a mix of monthly plan and PAYGO balance on your account and you need to make sure you understand how this works.

Feedback Score
    Just to start off what you said makes perfect sense. I see that you use the 200 minutes of peak but what I would do is check your bill and see what you use off peak and verizon to verizon and add all 3 together. That will give you a better idea of what you need because the $29.95 plan is 1200 minutes and thats it. No mobile to mobile or off peak minutes. That being said if you use less than 1200 minutes total its a great deal. Even if you end up needing the $39.95 plan which includes unlimited minutes, text and 500 mb its a great deal and i am sure it will still save you money.

TracFone owns Page Plus so i do not see how they would be an alternative. The best part about page plus is there customer service. It is the only TracFone company that uses an american call center which is great because you can understand the people you are talking to and most of there time there customer service is great too. There call center is located in Ohio.

As long as you can follow a few simple instruction cost wise it makes much more sense, but if you feel like you might have some issues the activation fee a brick and mortar will charge is well worth it to have a hassle free experience.

Remember regardless of where you activate you phone make sure your Verizon account is still activate if you are porting in your number plus you will also need the following:

1: Name on the account
    2: Address on the account
    3: Account number
    4: Account password
    5: Phone number you are porting
    6: Meid/Esn of the phone you will be using on the account
    7: Current Carrier (verizon for your case)

I hope I answered your questions and if you have any more feel free to ask
    Last edited by icebook; 04-17-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: advertising violation

Feedback Score
    Wow, you guys have been fantastic!

I feel like I need to better set my objectives and define my needs, so you will be able to give me the very best recommendation.

Based on my historical voice usage (see below), the $29.99 (1200 anytime minutes, 3000 text messages, 500MB of data) plan seems like it will work and is a value compared to what I am getting and paying now. However, the more I think about it, I feel voice minutes are the priority and needs to be the focal point at this time. I have never sent a text message or used data and without "creating" the need, I just don't feel the need right now. If I can get more voice minutes for less money, I will stay better connected with some people and at the same time feel that I am getting value. That said, I would like to use my boyfriends HTC Droid Incredible 2, because it is the newer of the two phones and the only one of the two that will give it will give me the option of data down the road.

Below are the details of my current plan with Verizon, including usage. Undoubtedly I will give you more detail than you need, but I figure the more information I provide you, the better plan recommendation you can give me.

My current plan runs from January 20 to February 19. With this plan I get 200 peak minutes per month, 500 off peak minutes (nights and weekends) and unlimited Verizon mobile to mobile. The cost for this plan is $29.99 and with taxes $37.38 per month. I believe this is a grandfathered plan (I think Verizon dropped this plan because of the unlimited m2m for $29.99 per month) and if I drop it and go with Page Plus, I will not be able to get it back.

My current cycle ends February 19. Since January 20, I have only used 20 peak minutes, 71 off peak (nights and weekends), and 70 m2m, for a TOTAL of 161 minutes with 10 days to go.

Here is my usage, per month, for the past year. The numbers listed are the TOTAL minutes each month. Please note that I have NEVER exceeded my 200 monthly peak minutes or 500 off peak minutes. Of course, on this plan, I can't exceed my m2m minutes as they are unlimited. I will go backwards in time starting with December 20, 2013 to January 19, 2014.

Dec.-Jan. 222 minutes
    Nov.-Dec. 480 minutes
    Oct.-Nov. 437 minutes
    Sept.-Oct. 516 minutes
    Aug.-Sept. 706 minutes
    July-Aug. 906 minutes
    June-July 552 minutes
    May-June 763 minutes
    April-May 971 minutes
    March-April 762 minutes
    Feb.-March 1286 minutes
    Jan.-Feb.-709 minutes.

Thanks again!

Anovice
    Last edited by icebook; 04-17-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: advertising violation

Feedback Score
    I did the math, an it's just about a wash between the 29.95 plan and The 12 with paying for your excess phone usage at 5 cents a minute

With The $29.95 your will get 12 X as many available Texts and 50 X the available data as the 12 plan, keep in mind the phone minutes are use then or lose them

Feedback Score
    Knowing what plan you are using now you are definitely in a grandfathered plan. If you ever want to use a data phone or if you use an upgrade to get a new phone they will make you change your plan. That being said I really think page plus gives you more flexibility for around the same price. Like txusa said if you shop around online you can usually find the $39.95 plan for the same or less than what you pay now if you end up needing more talk, but from the looks of it the $29.95 plan will be plenty for you since you have only used over 1200 minutes once in the last year. I am also assuming something changed for you or was going on that month because it was a lot higher that your other months.

Ultimately the choice is up to you on weather or not you want to switch to page plus or stay with Verizon. It sounds like the change for you is not about the price of your plan now but to having the option to use other phones without affecting the price you are paying now. If that is the reason I would say switching to page plus is well worth it to you.

I hope I answered your question. If there is anything else or I haven't answered the your question just let me know. If you need help switching if that is the way you go I can help with that too.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    If you want unlimited talk it's best to get a cheap GSM phone and use an ATT or Tmobile MVNO. You can get unlimited talk for $25 at simple mobile or spot mobile on tmo signal or $30 on H2O which will still come with unlimited talk and text and 500mb data. Don't stay stuck on verizon if you can get a great signal with ATT or Tmo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    If you want unlimited talk it's best to get a cheap GSM phone and use an ATT or Tmobile MVNO. You can get unlimited talk for $25 at simple mobile or spot mobile on tmo signal or $30 on H2O which will still come with unlimited talk and text and 500mb data. Don't stay stuck on verizon if you can get a great signal with ATT or Tmo.
    Those are good plans too if you have an att or tmobile phone. Tmobile doesnt have towers where I am so I dont do a lot of simple mobile but Att and verizon are both about the same here where one doesn't work the other does so I do a lot of the $30 H2O plan. But to keep things simpler for this person because they already have the phone and they already know what they are getting with coverage. Also simple mobile and page plus are both owned by tracfone.

Feedback Score
    wirelessguy315,

You are correct that if I want to use a data phone Verizon will make me change my plan. I inquired about using the HTC Droid Incredible 2 and found this out, which started me posting. I must get a data plan with Verizon if I want to use a smartphone.

I am not certain if Verizon will make me change my plan if (when) my current Verizon Samsung Haven breaks, so long as I do not get a smartphone. What they will do, is make me go on a 2-year contract.

You are also correct that I would like to start using a smartphone (the HTC Droid Incredible 2 sitting here) without paying more. And, Paying $7.43 less per month ($37.38 including tax with Verizon vs. $29.95 at Page Plus) is a bonus if I am not trading anything off for the savings.

As you also note correctly, the biggest benefit is getting more flexibility for around the same price. As you know with my current plan, I have little usage Monday-Friday during the day and have been trained to use the phone mainly on weekends. I would like this to change.

So I do agree with you that switching to Page Plus is the way to go. I use the smartphone for voice only and I use it when I want, only keeping in mind that I have 1200 minutes to use.

Now to the technicalities

What is the $29.99 plan called? When I call Page Plus, do you think they will charge me to activate the HTC Droid Incredible 2?

As always, thanks!

Anovise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast