Thread: Do Smart GoPhones require a plan?

Device(s)
    LG 800G
    Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score

Do Smart GoPhones require a plan?

So, I know they don't require a data plan, but do they require one of the monthly plans on their site, or can you just pay as you go with the refill cards? IE can I activate a GoPhone SmartPhone and buy a $25 card every 90 days? Their website is not very clear, and forces you to pick a plan if you order a phone from them. And if you can pay as you go, what are the rates per minute/text? Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblow222 View Post
    So, I know they don't require a data plan, but do they require one of the monthly plans on their site, or can you just pay as you go with the refill cards? IE can I activate a GoPhone SmartPhone and buy a $25 card every 90 days? Their website is not very clear, and forces you to pick a plan if you order a phone from them. And if you can pay as you go, what are the rates per minute/text? Thanks.
    The $25 card will only get you 30 days of service on a smartphone. Texting is unlimited on that plan, but your voice minutes are limited to just 250 per 30-day cycle. They don't roll over with any subsequent refills. There is no pay-per-use option with smartphones. You have to buy one of their monthly plans, and the only "a la carte" add-on is data. Pay-per-use pricing only extends to basic phones through AT&T.

If you're looking for a basic Android device that you can operate cheaply over a 90-day period, I'd recommend Tracfone. The phone selection is not great, but you can buy a $20 airtime card (automatically triples to 180 minutes + 180 texts + 180 MB of data) which will last 90 days. That works out to around $7/month for smartphone service over the 90 days. Tracfone keeps separate buckets for voice minutes, texts, and data...so if you're running down on data, you can't convert any texts or voice minutes to data. You'd have to buy another refill card. However, unused minutes, texts, and data will rollover with each subsequent refill. Over time, you can build up a significant surplus if you're not using up all your units every 90 days.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    My experience:

We have 3 smartphones on gophone pay-as-you-go plans, which in our case is the 10 cents/min plan.

We had feature phones before and already a sim card that was active. I bought my Avail 2 android phone on the gophone website. I selected "new number" although I have a sim and it wanted me to select a monthly plan, I selected the $25 plan but removed the $25 card from my cart and just paid for my phone. I received the phone with a number activated and you have 26 days I think to add money to the account. But I just let that sim expire and used my existing sim (avail2 uses reg size sim) which is on the 10 cents/min plan. I just pay for the $5 texting package and any minutes I use to call. I can only access the internet on wifi.

My daughter got the Nokia lumina 520 from Amazon and it came with a micro-sim, since her old sim was a regular sim I had to call CS and have her phone number and account moved to the micro-sim. They did that, no problem. She is also on 10 cents/min plan. She has the unlimited texting. Also no internet unless on wifi.

My son got the Huawei fusion 2 android phone on Amazon and it uses a reg sim so he was able to use his existing sim. He has the 1,000 txt package and only internet via wifi.

I don't think mms works on our smartphones, since we have no data. But it doesn't matter since I can email pics when around wifi.

On iphone the mms work for some reason. A friend was briefly using an iphone first gen with a gophone sim on the 10 cents/min plan (he just wanted texting and had an old iphone to use). I was going to tell him mms might not work, but he told me it did.

I buy refill cards for our phones at callingmart. I usually get the $25 refill which is good for 90 days for me, $25 or $50 for my son and $50 or $75 for my daughter.

It works well for us.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    I did use Tracfone for a long time as my first prepaid phone service. it worked well, but when you want to text more than call, it can be more expensive. Like the above poster mentioned even on a triple minute phone you get 180 txt, that would not work for me.

I pay $5 for 200 txt, and if I need more I can switch between 1000 and 200 pck if I want.

My husband also likes Net10, he used to call alot and paid $25 for 750 minutes a month, I think they raised it to 1,000 minutes.
    Then when he needed a smartphone for work he got the unlimited plan and with autopay we pay $49 every month.
    ATT doesn't work for him, so he has a Net10 phone that runs on Verizon network.

I just depends what you need, there are lots of options out there.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mommusic View Post
    I did use Tracfone for a long time as my first prepaid phone service. it worked well, but when you want to text more than call, it can be more expensive. Like the above poster mentioned even on a triple minute phone you get 180 txt, that would not work for me.
    There's no doubt that Tracfone's Android plans wouldn't work well for people who use one feature (especially texting) more than the others. I use my phone fairly equally for all three tasks, but quite a few people do not.

I was unaware that you could put a GoPhone smartphone on the basic pay-per-use plans. Is this a grandfather deal (i.e. you set up an original GoPhone line with a non-smartphone device then moved the SIM over to a smartphone) or can anyone who has a current GoPhone monthly plan switch to this?

I use my GoPhones for data-intensive apps, so I don't think pay-per-use is a smart choice for me. However, I have two smart GoPhone devices, and might consider moving one of them to a $25 pay-per-use structure if possible.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Like I said in my post we've always had our three phones on the gophone 10 cents/min plan. We don't talk much and don't use mobile data. We mostly text, so we find this setup the best for our needs. We all had feature phones at first and then two of us moved our sims to the smartphone, and the third, needing a micro sim, we transferred account to the micro sim. I would assume that you can go to att store, buy a refill and get a sim activated on 10 cents/min plan, but I have no first-hand experience with it.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    I do know that smartphones cannot get pay per use data. If you want data with a smartphone on gophone you have to have a monthly plan, minimum $25 plan and buy data package.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Here is information on the two non-monthly plans which can be used with smartphones:

Calling Plans Information:
    Pay Per Minute Plan: All voice calls and text messages are charged at the then prevailing per minute/per message rates. Messaging packages are available for an additional cost. Data service is available only on basic and quick messaging phones and charged at the then prevailing pay per use rate. Data packages are not available with this plan. Smartphone users are restricted to Wi-Fi data service on this plan.

Daily Plan: Daily plan includes unlimited voice calls and text messaging for a rate charge assessed and paid each day the phone is used to make or receive voice calls, including a call to voice mailbox, or send a text or picture/video/sound message. The day for purposes of the Daily plan rate charge starts at midnight and ends at midnight of next day based on the time zone in which you are located when you make a call or send a message. A minimum account balance sufficient to pay the Daily plan rate charge is required to place or receive the first call of the day or send a message. Voice: Minutes are intended for domestic use only. Additional charges apply to international calls. Messaging: Unlimited messaging within the U.S. includes text, picture and video messages. Unlimited messaging from the US to Mexico and over 100 countries includes text messaging only. For a full list of countries available for messaging, go to att.com/gophoneIntlText. Data: Data service is available only on basic and quick messaging phones and charged at the then prevailing pay per use rate. Data packages are not available with this plan. Smartphone users are restricted to Wi-Fi data service on this plan.
    Earl F. Parrish