Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: LTE in Rural America Program

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by creativityqueen View Post
    Too bad they are only for people living in WI!!
    Well, they have maps for the whole country. Wish I knew who does them.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Do we have to resort to name calling now?
    That's not name calling. It's describing what ggore is doing.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score

LTE in Rural America Program

Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    That's not name calling. It's describing what ggore is doing.
    I'm going to leave you alone and let you enjoy your delusion that I have EVER discussed "Unlimited Data" with you per your accusation in post #71. Fact is, I never have, nor have I with anyone else on HoFo. Enjoy yourself. I will stick to the subject of this thread, which is Verizon's LTE in Rural America program.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    You need backhaul first. Satellite isn't economical to pull in 70mbps of bandwidth. Nome has microwave, Deadhorse has fiber up the pipeline, but Barrow and the other villages are satellite.

The LTEiRA is focused on the south. What AWS has to do with it, I'm not sure. The only area that they would even maybe need AWS would be a mile square area in downtown Anchorage. There is no other area with enough population density to even need AWS in all of AK, especially given that AT&T has an almost monopoly across the state...
    Yeah, I wasn't saying it would be realistic in the short-term, but they could do it if they wanted to bring in the backhaul. I wonder how much bandwidth the microwave in Nome has. AT&T only has EDGE there and Verizon only has 1x. I wonder if they could support more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Well, they have maps for the whole country. Wish I knew who does them.

via the HoFo App
    I'd love to see Verizon's maps improve. Not just the mapping engine but the amount of detail. Their global maps are a good start, but they aren't very detailed with domestic coverage and leave out the Extended Network. Something based on Google Maps like T-Mobile does would be nice.

http://verizon.cellmaps.com

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Are you having fun being a complete PITA? I got the picture. You have an unrealistic view of Unlimited Data, and thus you don't like me. You don't need to babble on. I got it.
    I'm going to leave you alone and let you enjoy your delusion that I have EVER discussed "Unlimited Data" with you per your accusation in post #71. Fact is, I never have, nor have I with anyone else on HoFo. Enjoy yourself. I will stick to the subject of this thread, which is Verizon's LTE in Rural America program.
    Some may not have a context for the above posts. Let me supply a context and explain the history behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Why is HoFo so full of trolls anymore? I long for the days when trolls were run out of here on a rail…
    We have a troll here whose inability to respond to logical arguments is somehow or other resulting in the closings of threads — four, at least, in the last couple of months:

THREADS CLOSED —
    (1)What a day with Verizon...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1826156
    What a day with Verizon...

(2)Bringing back unlimited data fight

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1822280
    Bringing back unlimited data fight

(3) AT&T Throttling me after bill cycle over (multiple times, very annoying please help)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827603

(4) How many customers will leave if VZW get the guts to kick everyone off unlimited data

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1828717

This thread-closer troll is GSMinCT. GSM can sometimes be very sensible and contribute positively to a thread. There are certain topics, however, where he simply hits a brick wall and loses any sense of reasonableness. Unlimited data and mobile video, most especially, will trigger this reaction in GSM every time,

His peremptory proclamations are carried by demeaning references to "data hogs," "oinkers," "porkers," "abusers," and the like, intended to insult those who post opposing viewpoints. He dogmatically states his unbacked personal opinions as though he were Moses delivering the Message from Sinai and completely ignores any solid opposing argument or quoted source he can't confidently 'refute' – by simply restating its obverse for the umpteenth time.

Problems such as those that follow GSM from thread to thread are not always two-sided. Perhaps the matter really does reduce to a single determinedly disruptive poster who constantly implicates others as 'abusive', 'absurd', 'ridiculous', 'wasteful', 'unreasonable', 'stupid', 'insane' and so on, with seeming impunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by pckarma112 View Post
    …No excuse for such rudeness. None. Period. …
    Here's an interesting sequence from one of the closed threads:
    AT&T Throttling me after bill cycle over (multiple times, very annoying please help)
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827603

Quote Originally Posted by Md81593 View Post
    And as for The mods, why don't you take a serious look at this guy's account. This guy does nothing but spread false info on this site. I love how the mods on this site do nothing but let the trolls spread false information. Seriously? Do you get paid for these type of people on here so you can get more users involved? You're going to let this guy start swearing and not do anything about it? I bet if it was one of the other members on this thread you would have it taken down right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKstrr View Post
    ↑QFT ...

but I believe you're wasting your time, the user you refer to has an in, he's one of the boys.

He does seem to get some preferential treatment & a much longer leash than most.

'... actions speak louder than words ....'
    I've been a HoFo member for almost 13 years, never seen a troll account that's been babied this much.

Honestly, something is very fishy here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Funny, I was trying to figure out the same thing earlier today. I decided he's probably the son of one of the mods away at college. …
    Quote Originally Posted by md81593 View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you to the other members who can accept a difference in opinion and discuss it publicly in a controlled manner. That's what keeps these forums worth being a part of. Once you start spreading false info, that's what ruins the credibility of the forums.

Thread closed.
    ~~~~~~

QUOTES — re: GSMinCT (in no particular order)

Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    You guys might as well beat your head against the wall as try reasoning with GSM. Same difference. In any case he's the data police for Verizon and not even a customer. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaldo View Post
    Do me a favor, if you have nothing to contribute to fixing the problem, then being smart talking like "don't use absurd amounts of data"... its a 5GB cap before throttle, I use 5-7 a month I have an UNLIMITED data plan for a reason.... just don't contribute to the thread at all.

All I am looking for is help, or anyone's opinion on how to fix the problem of AT&T still throttling me after the new bill cycle started for the 1-3 or so days they do, AT&T is no help themselves I have tried talking to them multiple times, so again if you have nothing to contribute to helping the problem please keep the smart remarks out of the thread.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZHemi View Post
    ^^This - he obviously detests anyone that he would quantify as a 'data hog' (regardless of fact or reality) and no amount of sense, reason or facts will alter his opinion. Ignore him and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Nope, 2.5GB is 2.5GB, and 5GB is 5GB. Neither is unlimited. Just because it is more than you *personally* use doesn't make it unreasonable to use it, or make that quantity unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest 339 View Post
    I don't think he's "bought" into it per say, I just think he's someone who knows just enough to be dangerous. See the use of 'bandwidth' when he should be saying 'spectrum', the repeated insistence that throttling is superior to QoS without a supporting technical argument, and the complete lack of knowledge on basic Verizon policies and procedures.

The latter is really telling, he's gotten some simple facts wrong (i.e., alternate upgrades) in spite of them being well discussed in this very same forum. One would expect GSMinCT to at least learn the basics of how Verizon conducts business before attacking their business model.

I'm thinking disaffected AT&T employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan.cma View Post
    I don't understand why people who dont have unlimited data plans are getting jealous and mad at those who have it. Those who have it either maintained the package and could afford then and now of course and you also had option. It's your fault you didn't get one. Bet me if you get it now, you too will take it. So please either buy off someone or just stop being mad at these loyal Verizon customers
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaldo View Post
    Ok I created the problem I'll admit it, you are right about everything you have said always no one here is as smart as you are data boy genius. Enjoy letting carriers take advantage of you all the time you are right getting raped by a carrier is nice.

Have a nice data throttled day everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSixit View Post
    GSM has already said that anybody that uses a phone with a 4+ inch screen is wrong and watching video on a phone is wrong. He's made it very clear that those aren't his opinions, those are facts. People are incapable of watching video on phones, and if they do, they are wrong.

Additionally, 4G will not introduce any new capabilities, so nobody's data habits will possibly change on LTE.

Oh, and the government needs to fully control the cellular industry, and market competition is bad...

Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    So, now, GSMinCT knows better than Verizon's marketing department. How funny. They build it, they sell it, they market it. We listen to them, we buy it, we use it. They are wrong. We are wrong. GSMinCT is right. All hail GSMinCT.

You're a dumb phone, living in a smart phone world.
    Quote Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
    GSMinCT is debating HIS stand point. Even Verizon Wireless does not agree with his hard line take on using cellular data.
    If anyone wishes to see more such quotes, just ask, they are plentiful.

So, if he stays on topic — LTEiRA — GSMinCT may very well make real and valuable contributions to this discussion. OTOH, if he drags us into unlimited data and mobile video then the thread itself is in jeopardy.

A work to the wise — "CAUTION."

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-19-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been calling him on his trolling posts for almost two years now. Glad to finally see fellow HoFo members standing up to this nonsense. In numbers. And that's a beautiful thing.

Hopefully admins step in.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't saying it would be realistic in the short-term, but they could do it if they wanted to bring in the backhaul. I wonder how much bandwidth the microwave in Nome has. AT&T only has EDGE there and Verizon only has 1x. I wonder if they could support more.
    Not a whole lot. There isn't any really high-speed internet up there yet, although I guess they had almost nothing before. There's a whole network that serves part of the state through a single fiber cable and microwave relay system. I think Nome is roaming, maybe on GCI, I'm not sure. Up on the North Slope, ASTAC does the phone service, except for Deadhorse, where AT&T has service that's fiber fed up the pipeline.

His peremptory proclamations are carried by demeaning references to "data hogs," "oinkers," "porkers," "abusers," and the like, intended to insult those who post opposing viewpoints. He dogmatically states his unbacked personal opinions as though he were Moses delivering the Message from Sinai and completely ignores any solid opposing argument or quoted source he can't confidently 'refute' – by simply restating its obverse for the umpteenth time.
    There are a number of posters on Hofo who seem to think that there is an unlimited amount of bandwidth available in the wireless world (there isn't), and that they are entitled to consume several orders of magnitude more data than the median user or even the heavy smartphone user in perpetuity with no repercussions whatsoever, simply because they have gotten away with it on Verizon, and to a lesser extent, on AT&T, so far.

I've been calling him on his trolling posts for almost two years now. Glad to finally see fellow HoFo members standing up to this nonsense. In numbers. And that's a beautiful thing.

If being realistic and saying it like it is makes someone a troll, then I'm glad to be one.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

If being realistic and saying it like it is makes someone a troll, then I'm glad to be one.
    Truth at last.

All should respect this brave admission from GSMinCT.

And, of course, too, we should all respect that he is entitled to his opinion that his position on data usage is the only "realistic" understanding possible — in exactly the same way that pretty much everyone else here is, equally, entitled to our opinions that it's just so much hogwash.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If anyone wishes to see more such quotes, just ask, they are plentiful.
    No thanks ... the title of the thread is the topic - it isn't supposed to be filled with personal rants about other members.

So, if he stays on topic — LTEiRA — GSMinCT may very well make real and valuable contributions to this discussion. OTOH, if he drags us into unlimited data and mobile video then the thread itself is in jeopardy.
    Is your post on topic? No.

One would hope ... but it seems that the name calling continues and the threads close when the mods get tired of it. I sure would like to see a thread on topic and not discussing GSMinCT, or any other member.

ENOUGH. Tell me about LTE in Rural America.
    Three places to look:
    Rules Search FAQ

ST3000 -> ST7868 + V.60i -> E815 -> Krave ZN4 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 4

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Yes, well, there's actually quite a bit of peripheral content through the whole thread. But GSMinCT clearly raised the ante with his petulant ad hominem in post #62. Then he initiated the name-calling in post #71. My posts were simply to alert the unwary as to what had occurred and why.

I'm all for getting back on track — as long as GSM concurs and discontinues the dissemination of his distracting distortions and disinformation.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 04-19-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Pioneer's quarterly newsletter this month has the following blurb regarding their LTEiRA program:

Attachment 107826

The important takeaway is that it is going to take another 3 years to actually finish the program. February 2013 was the last expansion they made to their LTE, and now they're adding 4 more sites, not very rapid progress but better than nothing.

They also mentioned some interesting statistics regarding what devices people are using on their network and usage:

Attachment 107827

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Pioneer's quarterly newsletter this month has the following blurb regarding their LTEiRA program:

Attachment 107826

The important takeaway is that it is going to take another 3 years to actually finish the program. February 2013 was the last expansion they made to their LTE, and now they're adding 4 more sites, not very rapid progress but better than nothing.

They also mentioned some interesting statistics regarding what devices people are using on their network and usage:

Attachment 107827
    Cool! I wonder if the new 3G sites are colocations (with USCC or AT&T) or new sites? I would love to see areas in southeast Oklahoma that currently have no cellular coverage get covered.
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Truth at last.

All should respect this brave admission from GSMinCT.

And, of course, too, we should all respect that he is entitled to his opinion that his position on data usage is the only "realistic" understanding possible — in exactly the same way that pretty much everyone else here is, equally, entitled to our opinions that it's just so much hogwash.
    Fine. If you want to be entitled to your opinion that Unlimited users should be allowed to use as much as they want with no limits, ever, that's a position. However, along with that position, you have to acknowledge that you're describing Sprint's overloaded and slow as molasses network. Along with the position that Unlimited users should have no limits, ever, you have to take the position that a network that just doesn't work, or a network that can only do 200kbps on a normal day is an acceptable network. Because you can't have it both ways.

Yes, well, there's actually quite a bit of peripheral content through the whole thread. But GSMinCT clearly raised the ante with his petulant ad hominem in post #62. Then he initiated the name-calling in post #71. My posts were simply to alert the unwary as to what had occurred and why.
    WHAT? I'm not the one who steered this off-topic. ggore started it with an obnoxious post #55.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

LTE in Rural America Program

I have a proposal, perma ban the next person who posts off topic in this thread!

Attachment 107826

Attachment 107827
    It looks like a good amount of pioneers expansion from that newsletter is in areas that are weak areas of verizon native LTE. Maybe VZW's goal is I take Oklahoma over. I've noticed a new verizon store is being setup in my neighborhood, and word of mouth has been that Vzw is the new best carrier.

Thanks to these LTEiRA partners they are on track to make that a legitate claim.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast