Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: LTE in Rural America Program

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score

LTE in Rural America Program

Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    It looks like a good amount of pioneers expansion from that newsletter is in areas that are weak areas of verizon native LTE. Maybe VZW's goal is I take Oklahoma over. I've noticed a new verizon store is being setup in my neighborhood, and word of mouth has been that Vzw is the new best carrier.

Thanks to these LTEiRA partners they are on track to make that a legitate claim.
    It seems Pioneer is filling some gaps in southern and eastern Oklahoma for Verizon, outside their normal territory of northwestern Oklahoma. Building these 28 new CDMA sites amidst areas where Verizon already has service has certainly slowed down their LTE build-out in the northwest, evident by their only upgrading 4 sites in that area in a year. All this isn't too surprising since Verizon's entire Oklahoma system consists of what they bought from Alltel. I don't think Verizon has ever built anything to expand it since they took it over. The areas that Alltel didn't serve are the places where the LTEiRA partners are building out.

Regarding US Cellular, I don't think any of Pioneer's work has anything to do with them. USCC already has a complete system in southern Oklahoma and it is supposed to be all-LTE by the end of the year. In fact, USCC says their entire Oklahoma coverage area will have LTE by then. They cover all of Oklahoma except the northwest quarter and the panhandle.

Attachment 107859

Yellow is the new LTE they say they will add this year, the dark color is existing LTE. Purple is roaming, which for USCC is pretty much everywhere else. They have the same LTE coverage as the LTEiRA partner in southeast OK.

via the HoFo App
    Last edited by ggore; 04-20-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Feedback Score
    and word of mouth has been that Vzw is the new best carrier.

Thanks to these LTEiRA partners they are on track to make that a legitate claim.
    "Best" how? Best in terms of speed or coverage in a certain area?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    …However, along with that position, you have to acknowledge that you're describing Sprint's overloaded and slow as molasses network. Along with the position that Unlimited users should have no limits, ever, you have to take the position that a network that just doesn't work, or a network that can only do 200kbps on a normal day is an acceptable network. Because you can't have it both ways.
    Can, too! I see no correlation at all. Sprint's issues are entirely about poor management.

You've posted that Sprint can potentially support UL perhaps indefinitely due to its spectrum position. Fact is, alluvem can.

Now, can we leave this thread to its topic?

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    I see no correlation whatsoever. Sprint's issues are entirely about poor management.

You've posted that Sprint can potentially support UL perhaps indefinitely due to its spectrum position. Fact is, alluvem can.

Now, can we leave the thread to its topic?

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Please, leave it alone, don't respond to him at all, not a word, he's not worth giving the time of day to and everyone knows it now. Mods are threatening to close another thread because of your and others' continuing argument with him, just like all the other threads that have been closed recently, so please, just let it go here.
    Last edited by ggore; 04-20-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    "Best" how? Best in terms of speed or coverage in a certain area?
    In the Tulsa area and maybe Oklahoma. There is a massive majority of marketshare for AT&T here and that combined with their relatively limited spectrum resources makes their network significantly slower.

As for Tulsa, Verizon only has PCS 1900 spectrum here while AT&T has 850 cellular so Verizon's network by necessity has many more sites. So Verizon has higher capacity even if they had same number of customers and spectrum.

Due to Verizon's apparent high standards for cell site construction (namely high antenna height). Their network for voice has better coverage than AT&T, despite using inferior (for coverage anyway) PCS 1900mhz spectrum. AT&T hasn't added new sites to compete.

This problem isn't solely confined to the Tulsa area. Many of my relatives complain about AT&T's declining speeds in Muskogee
    and due to billing system issues nobody wants to consider US Cellular. That's where LTEiRA provider Sprocket wireless comes into play. They have near universal coverage in the Muskogee area for LTE and it's extremely fast as it's the only 10+10mhz network in the area! AT&T and US Cellular only use 5+5 MHz for their networks their and with AT&T's huge marketshare (recurring theme) the network is not very impressive (although it is mostly functional).
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    It seems Pioneer is filling some gaps in southern and eastern Oklahoma for Verizon, outside their normal territory of northwestern Oklahoma. Building these 28 new CDMA sites amidst areas where Verizon already has service has certainly slowed down their LTE build-out in the northwest, evident by their only upgrading 4 sites in that area in a year. All this isn't too surprising since Verizon's entire Oklahoma system consists of what they bought from Alltel. I don't think Verizon has ever built anything to expand it since they took it over. The areas that Alltel didn't serve are the places where the LTEiRA partners are building out.

Regarding US Cellular, I don't think any of Pioneer's work has anything to do with them. USCC already has a complete system in southern Oklahoma and it is supposed to be all-LTE by the end of the year. In fact, USCC says their entire Oklahoma coverage area will have LTE by then. They cover all of Oklahoma except the northwest quarter and the panhandle.

Attachment 107859

Yellow is the new LTE they say they will add this year, the dark color is existing LTE. Purple is roaming, which for USCC is pretty much everywhere else. They have the same LTE coverage as the LTEiRA partner in southeast OK.

via the HoFo App
    I only brought up US Cellular because they already have cell sites in the area, installing Pioneer's antenna's on US Cellular or AT&T's physical tower structure prevents Pioneer from needing to construct their own new physical tower structure.

The reason I was talking about southeast oklahoma is the big area covered by no one. Its a gap for all carriers and I was thinking it would be really cool if Pioneer would build cell sites there so Oklahoma would no longer have any true dead zones. I think it may not be too farfetched given Pioneer is just to the south of this area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I only brought up US Cellular because they already have cell sites in the area, installing Pioneer's antenna's on US Cellular or AT&T's physical tower structure prevents Pioneer from needing to construct their own new physical tower structure.

The reason I was talking about southeast oklahoma is the big area covered by no one. Its a gap for all carriers and I was thinking it would be really cool if Pioneer would build cell sites there so Oklahoma would no longer have any true dead zones. I think it may not be too farfetched given Pioneer is just to the south of this area.

Isn't that area to the south Sprocket territory or are they north of there, I'm not sure.

I don't know if Pioneer used existing sites or not. They can use existing or build new since they have a tower construction division in the company

That area with no service is part of the Ouichita Mountains, pretty rugged and not a lot of population, none of the carriers cover it. That doesn't make it right but that's the way it is. There's far more population on US 70 north of the Red River, so that's where they are.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    The forum is drama-free when you know how to add people to your ignore list :-)

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    'Mum's the word', then.

Feedback Score
    Purple is roaming, which for USCC is pretty much everywhere else. They have the same LTE coverage as the LTEiRA partner in southeast OK.

via the HoFo App
    The lighter purple is 3G, it just happens to be roaming in the area you're showing. They don't show the difference between US Cellular 3G and roaming 3G on their data maps for whatever reason.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    The lighter purple is 3G, it just happens to be roaming in the area you're showing. They don't show the difference between US Cellular 3G and roaming 3G on their data maps for whatever reason.
    They don't want to make it obvious that they're a regional carrier.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Can, too! I see no correlation at all. Sprint's issues are entirely about poor management.
    You can't pull bandwidth our of your @$$. It's either a fast network *OR* Truly Unlimited data. Both cannot exist simultaneously. Sprint's bad management was in large part allowing Unlimited data to slow their network to a crawl. Any network can sustain Unlimited data, so long as it's threshold throttled and managed properly like AT&T's grandfathered Unlimited package and most of T-Mobile's Unlimited plans are.

No. Only Sprint has the massive amount of high-frequency spectrum. And even then, I think their lower frequency stuff is going to turn into molasses if they do continue to offer Unlimited, unless they build out a network that is designed around the 2600 band in any suburban and urban area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'm hoping to see some reports from folks in other parts of the country who have had occasion to use partner systems' services or who live in other partners' service areas.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Here's a Cellcom LTE map that I've plotted Pioneer's new LTE coverage onto (black). 3 sites have been upgraded and one is yet to be built, 3 are full 360º full upgrades and one site only has antennas on the northeast side. Don't know why they didn't do a full-coverage upgrade on that site, but the south side of it would reach into RSA-5, the old CellularOne area, so maybe they can't broadcast there. Anyway, transmission into that area won't happen, I drove by that site Saturday and lost LTE within a mile south of the tower.

Attachment 107882

The 28 new CDMA sites, to be upgraded to LTE within the next 3 years, are in the area bounded in green. These seem to be in areas where Verizon hasn't built anything except for the stretch on top of I-35. Verizon left a strip on the west side of 35 and they never built anything in the southeast quarter of the state after they took over Alltel.

Feedback Score
    Here's a Cellcom LTE map that I've plotted Pioneer's new LTE coverage onto (black). 3 sites have been upgraded and one is yet to be built, 3 are full 360º full upgrades and one site only has antennas on the northeast side. Don't know why they didn't do a full-coverage upgrade on that site, but the south side of it would reach into RSA-5, the old CellularOne area, so maybe they can't broadcast there. Anyway, transmission into that area won't happen, I drove by that site Saturday and lost LTE within a mile south of the tower.

The 28 new CDMA sites, to be upgraded to LTE within the next 3 years, are in the area bounded in green. These seem to be in areas where Verizon hasn't built anything except for the stretch on top of I-35. Verizon left a strip on the west side of 35 and they never built anything in the southeast quarter of the state after they took over Alltel.
    Looks like that will fill in the gaps nicely when everything's upgraded to LTE. The LTEiRA program was really a smart move by Verizon. They're expanding LTE really quickly. I'd love to see U.S. Cellular become an LTEiRA partner. They could really improve Verizon's coverage in West Virginia and Maine by allowing 3G and LTE roaming. U.S. Cellular does have an LTE network of their own, but it's not everywhere yet. Maybe parts of it Verizon could help expand into the more rural markets.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast