Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I am almost done with PP

Feedback Score

I am almost done with PP

Moto X Developer Edition for GSM Networks and H2O SIM are on their way. I will try it out with temp number for a couple weeks and if everything is fine will port my main # from PP to H2O or AIO (was set on H2O $30 plan but it turns out for only $5 more (auto-pay discount) AIO doesn't turn off your data but throttles instead after you allowance is used up).

I will probably still use my DInc on PP as my "car phone" for $30/year.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    You should be happy with att service. Its good for the most part except for some rural areas where only Verizon has some coverage. And you'll have a nice phone without flashing.

I'd go with aio since you can get LTE. Or maybe straight talk.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I unlocked the GSM on my Incredible 2 a while back and today I ordered two SIMs and $10 PAYGO from Lycamobile. They have better PAYGO rates than Page Plus and the minutes don't expire as long as you make a call every so often (90 days? 180 days? Not sure.). I'd also prefer to have (a portion of) my money go to the more customer friendly T-Mobile, rather than Verizon who has made moves against net neutrality.

It will be my first time using T-Mobile's network, so I'm experimenting to see how their coverage is. If it's good, I'll switch. In case it's not, I also bought $10 PAYGO from Page Plus to keep it from expiring. I'm hoping to get a Nexus 5 in a month or two and use it on Lycamobile or H2O.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    I unlocked the GSM on my Incredible 2 a while back and today I ordered two SIMs and $10 PAYGO from Lycamobile. They have better PAYGO rates than Page Plus and the minutes don't expire as long as you make a call every so often (90 days? 180 days? Not sure.). I'd also prefer to have (a portion of) my money go to the more customer friendly T-Mobile, rather than Verizon who has made moves against net neutrality.

It will be my first time using T-Mobile's network, so I'm experimenting to see how their coverage is. If it's good, I'll switch. In case it's not, I also bought $10 PAYGO from Page Plus to keep it from expiring. I'm hoping to get a Nexus 5 in a month or two and use it on Lycamobile or H2O.
    If you live in a major city you'll have good service but if you venture off you'll find yourself on edge or no signal at all. Att has better coverage and more 3g than tmobile does. It doesn't cost that much more to use it either. There are many good deals out there. Gsm and Sim cards are so much easier to work with than CDMA, it can be tricky :P

Feedback Score
    Yes, I know about T-Mobile coverage being concentrated in major cities and about AT&T having better nationwide coverage (which is why I mentioned H2O). I'm trying to see for myself how T-Mobile's coverage is in Houston specifically. Also, on my current phone (Incredible 2) US GSM carriers are limited to EDGE anyway. The only way to get 3G is to use Verizon's network or a foreign carrier, or get a new phone.

Pending regulatory approval, T-Mobile intends to buy a block of 700 MHz spectrum from Verizon the middle of this year. That would improve indoor reception and boost coverage in some suburbs, but would require new phones and wouldn't take affect until the end of this year or early next year.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    Yes, I know about T-Mobile coverage being concentrated in major cities and about AT&T having better nationwide coverage (which is why I mentioned H2O). I'm trying to see for myself how T-Mobile's coverage is in Houston specifically. Also, on my current phone (Incredible 2) US GSM carriers are limited to EDGE anyway. The only way to get 3G is to use Verizon's network or a foreign carrier, or get a new phone.

Pending regulatory approval, T-Mobile intends to buy a block of 700 MHz spectrum from Verizon the middle of this year. That would improve indoor reception and boost coverage in some suburbs, but would require new phones and wouldn't take affect until the end of this year or early next year.
    Nice tmobile actually had good coverage at my old home and it worked well. I moved and have att service and it works well where I am. But I've got a unlocked xiaomi mi2. I like it a lot its got the same specs as the nexus 4 only with a 4.3 inch screen and has a removal battery. Runs faster than my old nexus 4 did as well. But since it's a foreign phone I'm using it on att media net plan so for $35 I'm getting 500,mins and unlimited texts and unlimited data. I've almost used 20gbs this month I've been using this since plan since September.

Btw if you need a nice cheap gsm phone this is a awesome one for $100 used on eBay. My brother has one Motorola atrix HD. Only $100 on ebay Its got a 720p screen dual core snapdragon 1.5gbhz and 1gb of ram and has LTE. Also unlocked it works on tmobile and att 3g and lte. There is a 4.4 KitKat ROM and miui. Very nice phone for the money.

Last edited by Mephisto Zap; 02-17-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    Long story short: Moto X Dev Edition for GSM is great. Mine came with 4.2.2 JB and I will probably stay with it because it is perfectly compatible with my car audio system via BlueTooth. There were reports that KitKat started using new version of BT stack that often breaks compatibility with BT devices.

NOTE: if you accept OTA upgrade to KK 4.4.2 you will not be able to downgrade back to 4.2.2 (or at least there is no solution at this time). More details here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2635366

I activated it with temp number on H2O, then unsuccessfully tried to port my main number from PP to AIO and instead ended up porting to AT&T GoPhone $60 plan. May still go to AIO later.

Feedback Score
    Status update: I already wasted 1GB out of 2, and it only has been 4 days since I switched Gotta lay off all these speed tests and Netflix streaming .

Voice service has been consistently fine so far, even in Queens where I previously had bad coverage from Verizon. Data is mostly fine but on occasion is really bad (Union Square, NYC - 1.5/0.3 when I was there over the weekend). At my home it is something like 18/5.

Got 3x$100 refills for $270 from CallingMart, that should cover me for another 5 months, so until then I am staying put on GoPhone.

Feedback Score
    if you dont like pageplus dont let the door hit you on the way out pageplus has all the service that you need pay by the minute pay buy the month i know the data is not unlimited but it beats tmobile and at&t metro etc on the 3g try all the carriers and see with your eyes which one has the best service dont forget you get what you pay for. stop putting pageplus down (close the thread it makes no sense)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstufwiz View Post
    if you dont like pageplus dont let the door hit you on the way out pageplus has all the service that you need pay by the minute pay buy the month i know the data is not unlimited but it beats tmobile and at&t metro etc on the 3g try all the carriers and see with your eyes which one has the best service dont forget you get what you pay for. stop putting pageplus down (close the thread it makes no sense)
    I understand your point of view, but I think hearing why people leave PPC is good, too, and maybe it will provide info to PPC on how to improve service so fewer people leave in the future. Sometimes people leave PPC for a GSM provider for the potentially faster cellular data speeds or for newer handsets with less hassle, but eventually come back to PPC due to coverage issues, signal penetration issues in buildings, or other reasons. Others end up being happy with their new GSM service and never come back. Luckily, we all have choices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstufwiz View Post
    Punctuation is your friend.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    There is another issue for some of us. We are in the minority I admit. But . . . AT&T has greatly increased the area that has at least 3G service including where I live. That makes it possible to use an app from Hamilton (http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/smartp...at_is_app.html ) for captioned calls if you are deaf or very hard of hearing but speak clearly. This app takes advantage of the GSM ability to have simultaneous voice & data which CDMA does not offer unless in the limited LTE areas. The reason it mentions using a hands free headset is to know when the other person finishes their greeting but the captions are still coming in. If you can hear enough to know when they quit talking you can respond with a greeting to keep them from hanging up when they get silence.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I understand your point of view, but I think hearing why people leave PPC is good, too, and maybe it will provide info to PPC on how to improve service so fewer people leave in the future. Sometimes people leave PPC for a GSM provider for the potentially faster cellular data speeds or for newer handsets with less hassle, but eventually come back to PPC due to coverage issues, signal penetration issues in buildings, or other reasons. Others end up being happy with their new GSM service and never come back. Luckily, we all have choices.
    Boz1 makes some good points. There is considerably more competition in the MVNO market, than just a few years ago, and while that's good news for consumers, it means the MVNO's have to compete to keep their customers. PagePlus does not currently offer any plans that fits our needs of 50-100 mb of data and low minutes, while TracFone, who now owns PPC, does. It would seem logical that some of the better offerings by TF , such as it's triple triple deal, could be offered by PPC in the future. The great thing about Prepaid is the ability to change providers without any ETF, which gives consumers lots of choices for service. Porting from one company to another is easy and fast in most cases. With the exception of the providers who offer free roaming, since the underlying service is going to be using the same towers with any Verizon MVNO, it all comes down to price in the end, getting the right amount of minutes, texts and data you require for the right price.
    Mobile data is good. Life is too short to seek wifi just to check email.

Carrier(s)
    Black Wireless
    Feedback Score
    "GSM ability to have simultaneous voice & data which CDMA does not offer unless in the limited LTE areas."

Gee, I don't use enough data to know, but I thought that problem went away a long time ago.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Freedom of Choice IS a good thing, and I'll toot my horn a little about a blog post I wrote on the topic. Interestingly, a large online dealer who shall go unnamed reports that over 80% of the Page Plus customers that leave them end up coming back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast